SportsWrath

Not bitching but i gotta ask...

Herc

since when can you challenge a penalty or non-penalty? did they change the rule or something? im referring to the 12 men onthe field penalty

If I recall it happened earlier in the season also. I remember it being on that "Official Review" show thing they had on NFL network. Its actually a challenge able call.

since when can you challenge a penalty or non-penalty? did they change the rule or something? im referring to the 12 men onthe field penalty

good question besides if he was in the "air" is he still "ON" the field and how many times do team players who are watching step over the white line? How many times do the coaches do it? If he has one foot on out of bounds and one foot in he would get a penalty for beeing on the field but if Toomer had one foot in and one foot out on a catch it would not count. He would be oout of bounds.

good question besides if he was in the "air" is he still "ON" the field and how many times do team players who are watching step over the white line? How many times do the coaches do it? If he has one foot on out of bounds and one foot in he would get a penalty for beeing on the field but if Toomer had one foot in and one foot out on a catch it would not count. He would be oout of bounds.

Yeah but Chase was clearly two steps still in bounds, once they slowed it down. Even I noticed it.

Yeah Perairah(sp) or w/e his name is was saying that it wasnt until they reviewed all the rules awhile back that they added that rule.

thats bullshit we could throw a red flag on every play and have them check for holding , Hell how many no calls did we realy get this year?

thats bullshit we could throw a red flag on every play and have them check for holding , Hell how many no calls did we realy get this year?

heh I never said that penalties were reviewable but this to many men on the field. He had an example were one team I think the Browns had 12man on O and the last guy was still on field running off when the ball was snapped but the Refs didnt catch it. He said if the opposing team threw the flag they would of gotten the penalty. Some things are reviewable and some arnt, this is just one of them that are.

Holding is not reviewable. Basically anything that is a judgment call -- holding, PI, unsportman like, etc can not be reviewed whether called or not.

Things that are not really a judgment call but are a matter of measurements. 12 men on the field, in bounds or out of bounds, spot on the field are reviewable.

Question was is he inbound or out of bounds slowing down the film and careful checking should make that something with careful study should yield a result that folks would not disagree on. Holding is something where reasonable minds could look at the film at slow speed might still disagree.

Also you only had two red flags. Wasting it on a first down would not be wise. Only times it should be used is when a reversal will change the score or change possession.

In this case it changed possession.

Holding is not reviewable. Basically anything that is a judgment call -- holding, PI, unsportman like, etc can not be reviewed whether called or not.

Things that are not really a judgment call but are a matter of measurements. 12 men on the field, in bounds or out of bounds, spot on the field are reviewable.

Question was is he inbound or out of bounds slowing down the film and careful checking should make that something with careful study should yield a result that folks would not disagree on. Holding is something where reasonable minds could look at the film at slow speed might still disagree.

Also you only had two red flags. Wasting it on a first down would not be wise. Only times it should be used is when a reversal will change the score or change possession.

In this case it changed possession.

I know all this .I am just saying the officiating this year was horrid not just at Giant games but a crossed the board and the 2 red flags only things should be dropped If you keep getting it right you should keep your flag I mean damn its like our coaches have to ref the ref's. I am a firm believer that if a ref misses a call or makes a wrong call he should be penalized probably monetarily. the team that lost the call or didn't get the call should be able to put together an argumentative tape every Monday and submit to the league office and the league should dole out the ref's fines accordingly. after a few weeks of having no money they should tighten up their ship.

I know all this .I am just saying the officiating this year was horrid not just at Giant games but a crossed the board and the 2 red flags only things should be dropped If you keep getting it right you should keep your flag I mean damn its like our coaches have to ref the ref's. I am a firm believer that if a ref misses a call or makes a wrong call he should be penalized probably monetarily. the team that lost the call or didn't get the call should be able to put together an argumentative tape every Monday and submit to the league office and the league should dole out the ref's fines accordingly. after a few weeks of having no money they should tighten up their ship.

They already do this.

Every week all games are reviewed by the league officiating head thing and all Ref's are scrutinized and can result in a loss of pay or even work. In fact every week Ref's are tested by the league, I know alot of us think the Ref's are shit and all but these guys are really tested in their work.

It's really surprising actually.

They already do this.

Every week all games are reviewed by the league officiating head thing and all Ref's are scrutinized and can result in a loss of pay or even work. In fact every week Ref's are tested by the league, I know alot of us think the Ref's are shit and all but these guys are really tested in their work.

It's really surprising actually.

then how the hell do they keep their jobs or better yet pay their mortgages cause I am pretty sure some Ref's dont make any money unless the Fines are so minuet 20 would cover the damages .... If this is the case the Fines should be Jacked up %2000

then how the hell do they keep their jobs or better yet pay their mortgages cause I am pretty sure some Ref's dont make any money unless the Fines are so minuet 20 would cover the damages .... If this is the case the Fines should be Jacked up %2000

they dont make shit. the hall monitor at my high school was this old man way past retirement and he's an ex referee

Officiating is far from perfect. But in general it is no worse than it is in other sports.

i don't know how old you are, but I remember before review. The refs would miss a huge play, like the guy was clearly in bounds for a TD, everybody watching the game on TV knew it. But the team had to settle for a FG.

And we would have a game were everybody both the winners and the losers knew the result was wrong. Still introducing review was controversial because it slows down the game.

The purpose was never to fix every mistake. Just those really huge ones were the entire western world knew the wrong team won the game. It has achieved that goal.

Also if you get both challenges right, you get a third.

If we got to the point where after every play we reviewed the action at the line and studied it for holding, the game would take 10 hours.

Also generally the refs are pretty consistent. A ref that lets a lot of holding go usually does for both teams. It often varies from ref to ref so it is not consistent from game to game. But within a game both teams are usually held to the same standard. Things are missed, but in the long run, every team gets "lucky" about equally.