SportsWrath

over/under on goat-sacrifices by Don Shula this weekend.

fishgutmartyr

Sunday is the last shot--we win, fans from two afc east teams squabble ad infinitum about which was better.

We lose, Shula is left pondering the fact he squandered the career of one of the best QBs of all time.

I'm saying five. Never mind, not numerology feasible. Make that seven.

Sunday is the last shot--we win, fans from two afc east teams squabble ad infinitum about which was better.

We lose, Shula is left pondering the fact he squandered the career of one of the best QBs of all time.

I'm saying five. Never mind, not numerology feasible. Make that seven.

The whole 'best team of all time' argument is moot. Let's be honest, if we win, we certainly are not a greater team than the Pats, however, we'd have had a better game. If we win, the Patriots still have multiple S.B. wins to go with the 18-0 season....advantage Pats (over the '72 'Phins). If we lose, the same can be said....Yeah, the Pats won, but they've also won 3 prior to this....further advantage Pats. Same can't be said for the '72 Dolphins. Should N.E. win, they should be considered the best team of all time.

The whole 'best team of all time' argument is moot. Let's be honest, if we win, we certainly are not a greater team than the Pats, however, we'd have had a better game. If we win, the Patriots still have multiple S.B. wins to go with the 18-0 season....advantage Pats (over the '72 'Phins). If we lose, the same can be said....Yeah, the Pats won, but they've also won 3 prior to this....further advantage Pats. Same can't be said for the '72 Dolphins. Should N.E. win, they should be considered the best team of all time.

different eras, different rules, different styles of play.

With 2 undefeated teams it is hard to say who is the better team 30 years apart.

Who is to say that Miami would have lost any games if they had the opportunity to play 30 games that year?

Are the Patriots the greatest team ever....even with a trouncing on Sunday, not everyone will crown them with that...but a good case could be made, given the point diff, the number of blowouts, and a perfect season. Not to mention they will have won 10 games against teams with winning records. The 72 Dolphins on the other hand only played 5 games against teams with winning records.

Few people outside of S. Fla view the 72 Dolphins the greatest ever. The went undefeated but they did not dominate the way the 85 Bears did or SF with Montana or the Steelers of the 70s.

I'm not claiming Miami was the best team ever. AFAIC, the most dominant team I've ever seen over a single season was the '85 Bears. The one regret I have over the '86 season is we never got the chance to beat that team in the playoffs. But yes, a good argument could be made with the Pats as things stand. Win tomorrow, and you have to give it to the Pats.

I will NEVER give San Fran as much credit as other people do--the NFC East was beating each other's brains out annually, while they cruised with opponents like Atlanta and New Orleans in a 4-team division. There are a large number of seasons back then where somebody in the east missed the playoffs with 10-6 record. 10-6 and third place...I don't think San Fran would have nearly the dynasty it had if they were in the NFC East. But I digress...

I'm not even saying that we would be the better team if we win the SB--but we would be NFL champs, and probably one of the most legendary underdog teams in SB history. That's what I'm hoping for.

What I was claiming is that if the Pats lose, Pats fans and Miami fans would debating this for decades, since they both had perfect regular seasons, and while Pats fans would argue everything that Hoodie mentioned, Miami fans would be saying that they won the superbowl. Lots of heated debate over that one...

I'm not claiming Miami was the best team ever. AFAIC, the most dominant team I've ever seen over a single season was the '85 Bears. The one regret I have over the '86 season is we never got the chance to beat that team in the playoffs. But yes, a good argument could be made with the Pats as things stand. Win tomorrow, and you have to give it to the Pats.

I will NEVER give San Fran as much credit as other people do--the NFC East was beating each other's brains out annually, while they cruised with opponents like Atlanta and New Orleans in a 4-team division. There are a large number of seasons back then where somebody in the east missed the playoffs with 10-6 record. 10-6 and third place...I don't think San Fran would have nearly the dynasty it had if they were in the NFC East. But I digress...

I'm not even saying that we would be the better team if we win the SB--but we would be NFL champs, and probably one of the most legendary underdog teams in SB history. That's what I'm hoping for.

What I was claiming is that if the Pats lose, Pats fans and Miami fans would debating this for decades, since they both had perfect regular seasons, and while Pats fans would argue everything that Hoodie mentioned, Miami fans would be saying that they won the superbowl. Lots of heated debate over that one...

Agree with you 100% on the 69'ers. Their most capable opponent in their division were the choke prone Rams, who annually bent over for their two game enema from Joe and his Butt Boys.. Whereas throughout their era it was either the Broke Backs, Skins, Gints or Egals who were the other dominant team for almost 20 years from 1981 to 2001. The 69'ers were afraid for their lives in 88 when they rolled over for the Lambs because they would have faced an angry Gints team in the Playoffs. If I ever get the chance to interview the Head Milquetoast (Joe Montana) I will ask him it sure felt great not to play the Giants in the 88 playoffs, huh. <_<