SportsWrath

No topics on Santana going to the Mets yet?

so-cal dub

Jees, you people...

Mets Get Johan

The New York Mets have agreed to a trade for two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, giving up four prospects to acquire the left-handed ace of the Minnesota Twins, according to two high-ranking Twins officials with knowledge of the talks and a person close to Santana.

The deal is pending the Mets and Santana reaching agreement on a six- or seven-year contract extension and that Santana passes a physical; they have been granted a 48 to-72-hour window to do so.

The Mets paid a high price in prospects to land Santana, agreeing to send the Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

The deal would give the Mets the much-needed ace at the front of their rotation. Santana won the American League Cy Young Award in 2004 and 2006 and is 93-44 lifetime. He went 15-13 with a 3.33 ERA for the Twins last season. Santana has struck out at least 235 batters each of the past four seasons.

While the deal drains much of the talent out of the Mets' farm system, they did manage to hold on to top prospect Fernando Martinez, an outfielder. Instead, they headed the package with Gomez, who turned 22 in December and spent 58 games with the Mets last year.

Gomez is what scouts like to call a five-tool player, a combination of offensive ability that includes power and speed as well as an above-average defensive game and a strong arm. He has worked to cut down a strikeout rate that was high during the early part of a minor league career that began in 2004 after the Mets signed him out of the Dominican Republic. He made his major league debut last May and hit .232.

Humber, 25, is the Mets' 2004 first-round pick who has made five major league appearances, including one start, over the past two seasons. He won 11 games at Class AAA last season, his first full year after having Tommy John surgery in 2005.

Santana would give the Mets the best rotation in the NL East after they missed out on the division title by one game thanks to a historic September collapse. He'd likely be joined by Pedro Martinez, John Maine, Oliver Perez and Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez.

The Twins, meanwhile, would see yet another young star they produced leave the organization. Their Gold Glove outfielder, Torii Hunter, left for the Los Angeles Angels this offseason. Gomez would be a candidate to replace him in center field

---link---

and I couldn't be anymore happier.

WOW. And we didn't have to give up Martinez and Pelfrey.

Only proving that other clubs would like nothing more than to juice the Yanks for talent. Anyway, this is better for the Yanks. He's out of the league now, not with Boston, and we still have Hughes.

He's gonna be a monster for you guys. Congrats.

Only proving that other clubs would like nothing more than to juice the Yanks for talent. Anyway, this is better for the Yanks. He's out of the league now, not with Boston, and we still have Hughes.

Does EVERYTHING have to be about the Yankees? ? Jesus!

Great deal for the Mets!!!

Now, about that bullpen.... :unsure:

I think you're original offer floored ours.

Twins made a mistake IMO

:)

Santana, Pedro, Maine, Perez, Pelfrey and El Duque as spot starter/pen/big game/rested late season.

Great move Omar, in essence we traded Glavine for Santana and we get to face Glavine at least 4 or 5 time ourselves

yeah but he's on the braves so he'll suddenly get good again <_<

and it'snot just about the yanks, the red sox arguably made better offers as well. the twins knew they had no leverage and the only thing you can do in that situation is to act as if you have plenty, they did a good job but didnt know when to cash out (when hughes and melky + others were on the table). that gm is awful

No kidding, Smith should be fired for this. I am not complaining though. They did not have to give up Pelfry and F-Mart. That makes the even sweater for Mets fans. The Twins cashed out way too late. They should have taken those deals months ago. The Boston deal was sweet. The Mets even had better deals on the table than what they gave up today.

But will the Mets be willing to give him 6 or 7 years at 150 mil? This has to be worked out in the next 72 hours for the deal to go through.

Where's our Mets Mod anyway?

But will the Mets be willing to give him 6 or 7 years at 150 mil? This has to be worked out in the next 72 hours for the deal to go through.

Where's our Mets Mod anyway?

The Mets knew when making the trade they were gonna have to really dish out a lot of coin for johan.

No worries. He's a Met :)

Ok, I took it upon your guys great day to do my first baseball youtube.

Bill Smith rocks...

Credit Minaya for waiting it out and not doing anything drastic like including Reyes in this deal months ago.

Gomez will flourish in that ballpark with his speed.

You are right, I am tickled pink :)

I know we all have been hard on P-fry but I think he is going to turn out to be a good pitcher. He is still young and this gives him more time to develop and gain confidence. In a few outings last year he looked promising. I am so happy Omar didn't trade him away.

I got this off of metsblog

22296073447bac9471b9kz4.jpg