SportsWrath

Superstition

Lughead

I forgot my Eli jersey until the end of halftime. I put it on and the tides turned.

That and I smoked a lot of smokes from the magic Giants lighter.

Glad I gave up the habit....ahem....ahem.....cannabis more than 15 years ago. LOL!!! Otherwise I would have depleted the stash of half of Queens by now. LOL!!! Now I can go take my hypertension medication. I am only 2.5 hours behind. ;)

Glad I gave up the habit....ahem....ahem.....cannabis more than 15 years ago. LOL!!! Otherwise I would have depleted the stash of half of Queens by now. LOL!!! Now I can go take my hypertension medication. I am only 2.5 hours behind. ;)

No no no....ok close enough and I do want o go get some snacks.

I can't post on the game thread. I can watch the game, I can ready everybody else's posts, but I can't post myself. Found this out by going to the bathroom during the Tampa Bay game. Was posting the first few minutes, went to the bathroom, and we scored. Didn't touch the keyboard the rest of the way, just watched the game. Lo and behold!

Game-day loner is MIA, but just for kickoff

34931272.jpg

Danny Jackson of Ronkonkoma shuns even his best friend, who is also a fan, when the Giants play. "And I won't go to a bar to watch the game with anybody," he said. "I have to watch by myself." No word on birthday plans with daughter Julia, who turns 2 on Super Bowl Sunday.

BY JOHN VALENTI

If you saw him walking down the street, you'd never know Danny Jackson is a New York Giants fan. He doesn't wear game gear: No team jerseys, no team logos.

No team stuff.

But Jackson, 43, of Ronkonkoma, is as fanatical -- and superstitious -- a fan as you'll ever meet. So superstitious and ritualistic, in fact, that he not only wears the same clothes -- blue T-shirt, blue jeans, socks and even underwear -- for every game, but he also refuses to watch the opening kickoff.

He fears if he doesn't do this, the Giants will lose.

"It's stupid, I know," the former NYPD officer, FDNY firefighter and married father of two said. "But, I'm anal about these things."

Jackson has been a Giants fan since 1972. But while many across the nation tune in to see the pre-game show, the opening ceremonies, the coin toss and the opening kickoff on Super Bowl Sunday, Jackson said he'll be cooking -- and watching his clock, to make sure he misses the start of the game.

The superstition started years ago, Jackson said.

"I missed the kickoff one game, and the Giants won," he said. "That's it. And so I've been doing it ever since."

He slipped up twice over the years. Both times it cost him, and the Giants.

The first time was Super Bowl XXXV. Fans know what happened then, the Giants getting annihilated by the Baltimore Ravens, 34-7. The only other time was this season. Jackson accidentally saw the opening kickoff against the Minnesota Vikings.

The Giants lost.

"It was a big mistake," Jackson said. "I paid for it."

Though he's not superstitious about much else, Jackson is incredibly ritualistic about sports, especially the Giants.

His best friend is a Giants fan. "But I won't watch games with him," Jackson said. "I just can't. And I won't go to a bar to watch the game with anybody. I have to watch by myself. I've missed christenings because of games, family gatherings because of games. It's dumb."

Of course, Giants fans are simply hoping Jackson misses the opening kickoff against the New England Patriots on Feb. 3, date of Super Bowl XLII in Phoenix.

"I'm not going anywhere near the TV until I know the kickoff is over," Jackson said. "If the kickoff is 6:17 p.m., I'll be turning the game on at 6:22."

Danny boy, better make that 6:30 p.m., just to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like the stinky socks, jeans and T-shirt go back in the corner of the room 'til Feb. I may never wear anything else.....ever.

Good lord......I've got the funk. Same damn clothes again, but hopefully it works for us this week as well. GO F"ING GEEEEEEEEEMEN!!!!!!!

• 7 months later...
Good lord......I've got the funk. Same damn clothes again, but hopefully it works for us this week as well. GO F"ING GEEEEEEEEEMEN!!!!!!!

You better of not washed the "GAME CLOTHES" since last year .

If we lose any games this year its on your HEAD :explode:

NY-0, BABY .......NY-0 :flex:

Starting with the Pats game I've been wearing my Eli jersey after letting it collect dust all season. That will be going on.

But the one really odd superstition I am having this years postseason involves a lighter. I got it from a friend last season and the label on the outside is red with a giants helmet. Standard Bic lighter, with the flimsy label that comes off easy. That label is barely holding on now and I would normally have ripped the label off a long time ago but I just can't.

Jersey has not been washed and the lighter I hold in my hands as I type this. It has barely enough fuel left that I need to light it with another lighter but it is still going.

I do have a new Strahan SB jersey to mix in now, we'll see how that works out.

Jesus Christ, Eli Manning fucking sucks.

We're 8-8 with that guy at the helm next year, I'm telling you. He DOES NOT have it.

lol Seph remember the day when me and you would agree with each other in the "Eli is going no where" threads?

....he sure did shut us up :P

But yes Eli fucking sucks we are not going anywhere with the guy, 2-14 at most. I say we re-sign JLoad so we can have somewhat of a chance of winning games. Fuck Eli sucks.

lol Seph remember the day when me and you would agree with each other in the "Eli is going no where" threads?

....he sure did shut us up :P

But yes Eli fucking sucks we are not going anywhere with the guy, 2-14 at most. I say we re-sign JLoad so we can have somewhat of a chance of winning games. Fuck Eli sucks.

Is Dave Brown available? How about Pisarcik?? :o