SportsWrath

Shockey backlash begins

boohyah

You could see it creeping up on this board, but now you've got Marino/Collinsworth and carter suggesting that Eli is playing better without him "demanding" the ball. Now I'm reading DR Z and they are discussing how he was responsible for picks.

Glad to see that one player may have had this much effect. watch this stone continue to gather moss.

You could see it creeping up on this board, but now you've got Marino/Collinsworth and carter suggesting that Eli is playing better without him "demanding" the ball. Now I'm reading DR Z and they are discussing how he was responsible for picks.

Glad to see that one player may have had this much effect. watch this stone continue to gather moss.

Shockey is a tremendous athlete, and a fiery competitor. I'd love to have him out in Lambeau on Sunday.

But Boss has been, quite frankly, a refreshing surprise. All the kid does is run the route and catch the ball....good enough for me.

I'm tired of Shockey's "throw it to me, I'm open" body language, the dropped passes, and most of all, I'm tired of him and Eli not being on the same page because Shockey thinks hanging in Miami with his "U" posse is more important than being with his QB in the offseason.

I don't normally listen alot to the so-called "experts". Dan Marino, however, is an exception. And I'm pretty sure that Aikman touched upon it last week too - Shockey's routes have been sloppy.

More than anything, Eli needs his receivers to be where the are supposed to be - that's why I was so stoked to get Steve Smith - the kid finds the gaps in coverage. Boss is the same way. And of course, Toomer is completely clutch. I'm not surprised at all that Eli is leaning on those 3 to get it done.

I'll be happy when Shockey is back, but frankly, I wouldn't shed a tear if Reese swung a trade and dealt him to some AFC team for a solid safety, corner, or high draft pick.

Shockey is a tremendous athlete, and a fiery competitor. I'd love to have him out in Lambeau on Sunday.

But Boss has been, quite frankly, a refreshing surprise. All the kid does is run the route and catch the ball....good enough for me.

I'm tired of Shockey's "throw it to me, I'm open" body language, the dropped passes, and most of all, I'm tired of him and Eli not being on the same page because Shockey thinks hanging in Miami with his "U" posse is more important than being with his QB in the offseason.

I don't normally listen alot to the so-called "experts". Dan Marino, however, is an exception. And I'm pretty sure that Aikman touched upon it last week too - Shockey's routes have been sloppy.

More than anything, Eli needs his receivers to be where the are supposed to be - that's why I was so stoked to get Steve Smith - the kid finds the gaps in coverage. Boss is the same way. And of course, Toomer is completely clutch. I'm not surprised at all that Eli is leaning on those 3 to get it done.

I'll be happy when Shockey is back, but frankly, I wouldn't shed a tear if Reese swung a trade and dealt him to some AFC team for a solid safety, corner, or high draft pick.

I LOVE Shock, but i feel this way too. I think Boss would fill his shoes differently, yet effectively.

Look, I'm impressed with Boss also so far, but in terms of blocking he's miles off the pace right now. And while Shockey is not a special blocker either, he's much better.

Some of Shockey's "bad routes" have often been Eli's "bad passes". The guy's been to 3 pro bowls and didn't get there because he's bad. He's made big catches for us in games, goes into areas and takes shots he shoudn't need to and still busts his hump for additional yards. You can't overlook this because of a few nice games by a rookie.

Look, I'm impressed with Boss also so far, but in terms of blocking he's miles off the pace right now. And while Shockey is not a special blocker either, he's much better.

Some of Shockey's "bad routes" have often been Eli's "bad passes". The guy's been to 3 pro bowls and didn't get there because he's bad. He's made big catches for us in games, goes into areas and takes shots he shoudn't need to and still busts his hump for additional yards. You can't overlook this because of a few nice games by a rookie.

I'll give you that Shockey is a better blocker. Then again, I've heard a couple guys say the opposite; but still, I'm with you on that.

And I'll also grant that Eli's had his share of lame throws. However, I can't think of another QB that has had so many catchable passes dropped, either.

Still, Boss has done a great job.

In the preseason, every rag out there had us finishing 3rd or 4th in the NFC East, mainly because "nobody could replace Barber." I'm thinking that Boss is to Shockey what Jacobs/Bradshaw was to Tiki.....a young, capable, (and drama-free) replacement. Or, at the very least, a successor.

Listen, I understand your setament here, but I have news for you, Shockey has been screwing routes up here and there. You ever hear of Bob Papa? You know, the guy who calls the games, and hosts Giants Online? Well, he is what I consider an insider when it comes to the Giants, and he said the same thing on Sirius the other morning. Shockey is known to run his route wrong, pull up short, and has an affinity for throwing a fit when he is missed. I love the guy, love his fire, but there are times, he is a 'me' kind of guy. I certianly don't want him to go, just want him to grow a little, show up for mini-camp, and get on the same page as Eli. And yes, before you ask, Papa confirmed that several times over the season (NOT ALL) that Shockey was the cause of interceptions, by being in the wrong place, or reading the wrong coverage and doing something he decided was the right thing.

Anyway, just what I heard, and what is being said.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but since we're piling on...

Seriously, I've never been a fan of Shockey's, and in fact, I got killed on the other board from his first game for saying the guy was never gonna fulfill his potential if he didn't grow up. Sure enough, he hasn't, on either count. I don't think it's the reason the G-Men and Eli are playing so well, but I don't think it hurt, either.

Seriously, I've never been a fan of Shockey's, and in fact, I got killed on the other board from his first game for saying the guy was never gonna fulfill his potential if he didn't grow up. Sure enough, he hasn't, on either count. I don't think it's the reason the G-Men and Eli are playing so well, but I don't think it hurt, either.

Even though he drives me nuts, I still really like Shockey. He just pisses me off because he could be even better if he just kept his cool sometimes.

Shockey is in his 6th(?) season, and Boss is a rookie, and yet it's Boss who understands that you do not spike the ball after catching a pass and converting on 3rd down.

When Barber left, so did the shadow that was hanging over Eli's ability to become a leader. Barber called Eli "comical" last year, when instead, I'm sure it was Eli not trying to usurp a leadership role that he felt he did not earn. I think with young guys with Boss and Smith, Eli just feels more comfortable, whereas with Shockey, maybe the critics are right - maybe he just forcing the ball to Shockey because he's trying to keep him happy or something.

At the very least, Boss has shown that the offense can move without Shockey.

I love it, I simply love it. The guy is a 4 time Pro-Bowler and we want to replace him with a rookie TE, who is terrible run blocker, and who has caught a total 11 balls in his career. Simply amazing... I honestly don't know where to begin with this conversation.

I feel sorry for the guy. I mean, as a rookie, he was labeled as a great pass catching TE, but a terrible run blocker. Well, we can all agree he improved his run blocking.

Shockey is always accused of dropping alot of balls, but yet he's has never had more than 5 drops in a season. (That includes only having 3 drops this year BTW) But when that faggot Ike Hillard was here and he lead the league with 12 drop balls, even though he missed 6 games because his ass was on IR, yet again! Ike was a fucking warrior with great hands. When Antonio Gates had 5 drop against Sean Taylor (and had 3 against brain Dawkins that same year) the commentary person said, "that's who J. Shockey and Whitten has to face twice a year." People say Gates has great hands. But Shockey has 5 in one year. "Shockey drops alot of balls."

Now, its Jeremy Shockey fault that Eli was throwing all those pick? Well, on behave of Jeremy Shockey. Shockey would like to apologize for not being 10 feet tall. He would also like to apologize for aparently being to fast for Eli. How else would explain why Eli throws behind and over Shockey all the time.

You people are amazing.... :rolleyes:

"You people". Way to generalize there Nem, since I just indicated I like Shockey.

By the way, you calling Ike Hilliard a faggot is way off dude. Ike Hilliard may not have been a star wideout while here, but he was a steady receiver and I have no complaints whatsoever about his tenure with the Giants.

Funny, I was looking at the topic last night and I see you're name at the bottom and I figured it was only a matter of time before you wrote something, knowing your love of Jeremy :) .

What is annoying about it is, that Shockey has had nothing to do with the ball slipping out of Eli's hands as he's about to throw, fumbling the ball at the snap and throwing downfield to wide receivers. These are all issues that have not occured during Eli's hot streak, yet the issue that Shockey is out hurt and the Giants have played better just seems a little convienent to put the blame on Shockey for when times were bad. From what I remember, Shockey missed the Skins and the Bills games and Eli played badly in both.

well maybe now having Boss on the team will Make Shockey tighten up on his routes and concentrate on catching the ball more . Maybe it will light a fire under his ass Knowing if he screws up he can be replaced.

and this coming from a Shockey fan :P

I agree, I can see the Shockey Bandwagon losing a lot of members in the offseason.

I think this is a very good thing for Shocky and the Giants. Shockey is one talented fuck but he seem to have let it get to his head... Now that Boss is on the scene, I'm sure shockey will have that needed motiviation to live up to the expecations... and he will.

Shockey will make the pro bowl next year.

Get rid of Shockey??? No way. Now that we know what we have in Boss, the 2 TE sets can now create some sick mismatches. I cant wait for Shock to get back on the field. I only hope they use them both correctly.

I love it, I simply love it. The guy is a 4 time Pro-Bowler and we want to replace him with a rookie TE, who is terrible run blocker, and who has caught a total 11 balls in his career. Simply amazing... I honestly don't know where to begin with this conversation.

I feel sorry for the guy. I mean, as a rookie, he was labeled as a great pass catching TE, but a terrible run blocker. Well, we can all agree he improved his run blocking.

Shockey is always accused of dropping alot of balls, but yet he's has never had more than 5 drops in a season. (That includes only having 3 drops this year BTW) But when that faggot Ike Hillard was here and he lead the league with 12 drop balls, even though he missed 6 games because his ass was on IR, yet again! Ike was a fucking warrior with great hands. When Antonio Gates had 5 drop against Sean Taylor (and had 3 against brain Dawkins that same year) the commentary person said, "that's who J. Shockey and Whitten has to face twice a year." People say Gates has great hands. But Shockey has 5 in one year. "Shockey drops alot of balls."

Now, its Jeremy Shockey fault that Eli was throwing all those pick? Well, on behave of Jeremy Shockey. Shockey would like to apologize for not being 10 feet tall. He would also like to apologize for aparently being to fast for Eli. How else would explain why Eli throws behind and over Shockey all the time.

I'm totally with you here Nem, except for the Ike bashing (I liked the guy but he wasn't great).

I like Boss and was impressed with what I saw back in training camp, but get fucking real, he has 9 total career receptions. Hardly enough of a look to think about replacing a Pro Bowler.

I think this is a very good thing for Shocky and the Giants. Shockey is one talented fuck but he seem to have let it get to his head... Now that Boss is on the scene, I'm sure shockey will have that needed motiviation to live up to the expecations... and he will.

Shockey will make the pro bowl next year.

can't you say your own thing? why you gotta copy me?

:P

Last year, I echoed similar sentiments saying we should get what we can for either Shock or Plax, because one "me-first" guy on each team is enough, and Shock was dropping what seemed like a lot of balls.

Well, this year he's really cured the dropsies, but it seems like every time Eli threw his way, I was praying that it wasn't a pick. It's a "chicken and egg" scenario, where Eli wasn't exactly accurate with many of his passes, but Shockey could have been running the wrong route as well... we'll never know.

What we DO know, however, is that Eli has been playing much better since Shockey's been outta there. Coincidence? Hard to tell with these Giants. :confused:

And I also really, REALLY like Kevin Boss. It just seems like the guy catches everything thrown at him, and can really find the soft spot in a D. He's not the flashy, run-over-six-guys kinda player Shockey is, but he seems like he'll be a good one for us.