SportsWrath

Thanks, Tiki

mickeef2

Enough Tiki bashing. Some of you guys are too dumb (no offense) to see past the bs of the media. The media creates this story by taking Tiki's comments out of context. On the same radio show, Tiki was complimentary overall of Eli.

Sorry we're so dumb we realize Tiki is part of the media now. Didn't read your novella, too dumb to do that.

I'll ask my question again: Where is the "unnamed player" that was quoted oh so often the last few years?

A few more questions for you, since you have all the answers:

1) Where have Pettigout's tirades been against Coughlin, or Reese for that matter? He definitely has more reason to have quotes like that in the press. He talks about getting "even" on the playing field, but he isn't trashing individuals, is he?

2) Can you point to a quote from a player on this team, offense or defense, that states they miss Tiki? Hell, Pierce has been openly contemptuous.

3) Why was Toomer, who thought he was a friend of Tiki's, say this about Tiki's comments about Manning?

Read it yourself.

Wide receiver Amani Toomer, who played his entire career with Barber, was stunned.

"I thought Tiki and Eli were pretty good friends," Toomer said. "It's kind of strange to have him say something like that and to make a point of it like that. Maybe he had somebody else in his ear kind of coaxing him into saying stuff, because I don't believe he really believes that. I don't know why he'd say something like that."

Jacobs broke a thousand yards missing 4-5 games behind that line this season. Ward was running well behind it, and so has Bradshaw. Barber was a good player for us, but where is the credit to the oline? Do you really think it coincidence that he had his best seasons once the front office upgraded the linemen? Bet you do, and that's exactly what Tiki needs you to think.

Tiki had nothing to do with Strahan talking about Plax and blasting reporters, Shockey blasting the coaches to the media, Shockey and Burress throwing their arms up at Eli, Pierce talking shit to the press. Yes Tiki probably caused some problems, but everybody forgets he clearly wasn't the only one.

Is this the "everybody else is doing it" gambit? Seriously? :LMAO:

Is this the "everybody else is doing it" gambit? Seriously? :LMAO:

So Tiki should be the only one punished for talking out in the locker room? Seriously?

You dont recall during those playoff losses and previous years...Tiki wasn't the only one talking out.

So Tiki should be the only one punished for talking out in the locker room? Seriously?

You dont recall during those playoff losses and previous years...Tiki wasn't the only one talking out.

I certainly do remember, and I was pissed when Strahan did it, and it's no secret I'm not a fan of Shockey.

I'd have no problem with Shockey being traded eventually, and Strahan's retiring no later than the end of next year.

I'll also remind you that Strahan has written a couple of books himself (well, you know what I mean) and he didn't feel a need to trash his coach to sell it.

And even though Strahan's move was massively boneheaded, at least he was talking about trying to improve the team by having a discussion with another player. He wasn't saying that anyone was outcoached.

And where did I say Tiki needed to be punished? Just don't expect me to be a homer and gloss over his bullshit.

no one's saying he should be punished. but he's a prick and that gives us every right to not like the guy

No I'm not saying people have to like him infact I understand why people do, but its those people who dismiss everything he's ever done as a Giant that need to give their head a shake.

No I'm not saying people have to like him infact I understand why people do, but its those people who dismiss everything he's ever done as a Giant that need to give their head a shake.

I think he's cheapened his legacy, and that disgusts me. That's my opinion. So far, it's been called "dumb" (but with no offense), and now I need my head shaken? :huh:

You guys are right: Tiki was the best running back to ever play the game, and is therefore beyond reproach. I will create a special shrine to him and beg his forgiveness.

For the shrine, I'll choose the picture of him in the dragon costume.

I think he's cheapened his legacy, and that disgusts me. That's my opinion. So far, it's been called "dumb" (but with no offense), and now I need my head shaken? :huh:

You guys are right: Tiki was the best running back to ever play the game, and is therefore beyond reproach. I will create a special shrine to him and beg his forgiveness.

For the shrine, I'll choose the picture of him in the dragon costume.

There are costumes of me? :ph34r:

Tiki is the best RB in GIANTS history and therefore we should remember the fact that he was both an asshole and amazing player. Everyone wants to erase the fact that he was a great player and only concentrate on his exit from the game. I just happen to think that doing that is unfair. Not directed at anyone in particular-----> Let it go.

I will sacrifice a goat for you at the shrine, Admiral.

:LMAO: Where at? The building that just burned down not too long ago? LOL I am sure the bums will help you!

I am learning towards what Midas is saying. I wonder who he thinks? Jacobs or Bradshaw?

Sorry we're so dumb we realize Tiki is part of the media now. Didn't read your novella, too dumb to do that.

I'll ask my question again: Where is the "unnamed player" that was quoted oh so often the last few years?

A few more questions for you, since you have all the answers:

1) Where have Pettigout's tirades been against Coughlin, or Reese for that matter? He definitely has more reason to have quotes like that in the press. He talks about getting "even" on the playing field, but he isn't trashing individuals, is he?

2) Can you point to a quote from a player on this team, offense or defense, that states they miss Tiki? Hell, Pierce has been openly contemptuous.

3) Why was Toomer, who thought he was a friend of Tiki's, say this about Tiki's comments about Manning?

Read it yourself.

Jacobs broke a thousand yards missing 4-5 games behind that line this season. Ward was running well behind it, and so has Bradshaw. Barber was a good player for us, but where is the credit to the oline? Do you really think it coincidence that he had his best seasons once the front office upgraded the linemen? Bet you do, and that's exactly what Tiki needs you to think.

Well you didn't read my "novella" but want to criticize the comments you didn't read?

I do have answers for your questions:

1) You correctly stated that Tiki IS part of the media now. Who knows if Petitgout HAS said things or not. If he did, nobody would know, because nobody really cares what a big left tackle has to say on the Tampa Bay Bucs. People care what Tiki says because he is a star and is in the national spotlight. If you had read my earlier post, you would see that Tiki's "comments" are being taken out of context. He has been complimentary of Manning overall and has given credit to Coughlin for helping him. The media is creating the story by taking blurbs out of context and baiting Manning and the fans, and it has worked. Secondly, Tiki's job is to answer questions honestly and provide analysis. That is his job now. If what he said was untruthful, I would condemn him just like you.

2) What kind of question is this? And who cares if they do or don't? Players move on with the other 52 guys in the locker room anyways. There is no point to this question.

3) Look at Amani's quote. That is exactly why you should question the media, not Tiki. Even Amani was puzzled because it seemingly wasn't like Tiki and he said he thought they were friends. It's a media thing, specifically ESPN that made something out of nothing. Amani got duped just like everyone else who didn't watch the segment on NBC where the comments were made.

As far as the other question about the "unnamed player"... it is foolhearty to just assume that the unnamed player was the same person every time. Additionally, your suggestion that because Tiki is gone now and supposedly that practice has stopped, that it is obviously because Tiki is no longer there. Need I remind you there are plenty of other players that were part of the 2006 team that are not on the currrent team. Doesn't have to be Tiki. Also, could it be that those issues are not as much of a concern this year because Tom Coughlin changed his style and now treats his players like professionals instead of kids that need to be micromanaged? Very possible.

Lastly, about the O-line, Deihl's emergence at LT alone has improved the O-line from this year to last. Petitgout, when fully healthy, was pretty good but if you remember missed the entire 2nd half of last season. He also made too many penalties but I digress. We had old-ass Bob Whitfield at LT for the 2nd half starting and he sucked big time. And Tiki STILL dominated. I give a lot of credit to the offensive line THIS YEAR for being a better unit than last year. But yes, I will agree that the offensive line was still good last year and of course contributed greatly to Tiki's success. However, you're not suggesting that Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw are Tiki's equal, are you? Because Tiki stayed healthy, unlike the other 3 have, caught passes out of the backfield consistently (unlike Jacobs in particular) AND blocked well. In short, it has taken 3 players this year to replace ONE Tiki of last year. And that's not to slight our boys that are doing the job now. I love those guys and they are doing a great job. But Tiki is an all-time great.

I think you think that because of that though I am dismissing the criticism being directed at him. I'm dismissing the criticism because it's unwarranted and unfounded. It has nothing to do with how great Tiki was when he played. I never have a problem with honesty. There is nothing wrong with what Tiki has said and his comments again should be evaluated with the full context, which you and his other critics have not done.

tiki won't be the best for long

If you're suggesting that Jacobs will be his superior then I think you are mistaken. Jacobs most reminds me of Eddie George with his physical upright style. Because of that style, Eddie battled injury and eventual ineffectiveness due to being worn down. We've seen B-Jac miss a lot of games just this year because of the pounding he takes. I personally don't believe Jacobs will be able to sustain his career long enough at a high enough level to eclipse Tiki's accomplishments because of the beating he takes, and he will never be the receiver that Tiki was. Bradshaw has a better chance at besting Tiki's marks rather than Jacobs.

Here's some of Tiki's words defending himself:

Automatically, people who had in that locker room any doubts about Eli Manning being a leader when he came after Barber all said, 'Now that's what it takes to become a full-time NFL quarterback.' So I was real proud of him for that."

Five hours later, Manning seemed less like a leader again and Barber was taping a segment on Manning for "Football Night in America." He said the first two interceptions were not Manning's fault. But he also said Manning has had trouble since his rookie year operating with pressure in his face.

Later, off the air, Barber said the Giants' fast start was no mystery:

They're relatively healthy. Tom Coughlin relates better. They have a "new defensive coordinator who guys like. I don't think it's a secret how much the team disliked Tim Lewis." And they have a "new offensive coordinator [Kevin Gilbride] who understands Eli and is better equipped."

What about Barber's absence? "It has nothing to do with the fact I'm not there, that I was a cancer," he said.

"I don't know what they're talking about, because it wasn't the case. I don't even know why people say what they're saying. Maybe it's fashionable. But it's revisionist history, it honestly is ... The guy who is not there is an easy scapegoat."

Barber insisted he is not bothered by any of it, rather that "it's humorous." When he noted (correctly) that there are few specific examples of his being critical last year, I told him many assume he also was one of the sources of anonymous quotes harshly critical of Coughlin.

"That's your perception, and it's false," he said. "I'm telling you it's not true. I deal in facts and the facts are off, I think ... It's all revisionist history. It's hypocritical to point the finger at one person."

With the Giants threatening another late flop and NBC set to showcase them against the Redskins on Dec. 16, NBC is sure to give Barber more forums to talk about his old team.

"I have an intimate knowledge of the Giants and it would be irresponsible of [producer] Mike Weisman not to buy into that," he said. "My job is to tell it like it is. And that's what I do.'

Tiki's agent posts on this board too?

What is your problem, Golfin'? I've never had a problem with you before. I was making what I think is a valid point... that the media creates these stories that villainizes Tiki and people buy into it. AA asked me questions, I assumed he wanted an answer so I did. Go ahead and and hate Tiki if you want to. To me, though, it makes me think that our fans are not much better than the Philly fans that are running a pro bowl QB out of town. I defend Tiki because I think he should be remembered for all he did for our organization, which was considerable. I also think he's a hell of a guy for a lot of the things he's done off the field. He should be remembered positively, not negatively because the media takes a few quotes out of context and makes a disingenous story out of it. It shows me that our fans are too sensitive and rather petty as well, in light of what Tiki gave to the organization.

What is your problem, Golfin'? I've never had a problem with you before. I was making what I think is a valid point... that the media creates these stories that villainizes Tiki and people buy into it. AA asked me questions, I assumed he wanted an answer so I did. Go ahead and and hate Tiki if you want to. To me, though, it makes me think that our fans are not much better than the Philly fans that are running a pro bowl QB out of town. I defend Tiki because I think he should be remembered for all he did for our organization, which was considerable. I also think he's a hell of a guy for a lot of the things he's done off the field. He should be remembered positively, not negatively because the media takes a few quotes out of context and makes a disingenous story out of it. It shows me that our fans are too sensitive and rather petty as well, in light of what Tiki gave to the organization.

I don't have a problem, I just write what I see.

Personally, I'm over Tiki and could care less what he says at this point

during the season.

Media creates? Isn't Tiki part of the media?

I don't have a problem, I just write what I see.

Personally, I'm over Tiki and could care less what he says at this point

during the season.

Media creates? Isn't Tiki part of the media?

you must be one of the dumb ones (no offense)