SportsWrath

My thoughts on our WLB situation

BigPete

It looked for a while like Arrington would be a Giant, but I am not so sure it is the right move for us

I think there are two major issues

1. Arrington wants big money, that is not EA's style, particularly with a player with so many concerns

2. Arrington's discipline on the field and tendancy to freelance, doesn't fit well with Coughlin's and Lewis's disciplined, team focussed schemes.

Either of which is probably enough to red flag the Arrington deal

Yes the free agent market is alot thinner, but that doesn't mean we have to be rash. There are still decent free agents left on the market

Here is how I think we should proceed

1. sign a solid FA WLB, my target would be Tommy Polley (Ravens)

2. draft a stud WLB in the first round, my targets would be Manny Lawson or Ernie Sims

Edited by BigPete

It looked for a while like Arrington would be a Giant, but I am not so sure it is the right move for us

I think there are two major issues

1. Arrington wants big money, that is not EA's style, particularly with a player with so many concerns

2. Arrington's discipline on the field and tendancy to freelance, doesn't fit well with Coughlin's and Lewis's disciplined, team focussed schemes.

Either of which is probably enough to red flag the Arrington deal

Yes the free agent market is alot thinner, but that doesn't mean we have to be rash. There are still decent free agents left on the market

Here is how I think we should proceed

1. sign a solid FA WLB, my target would be Tommy Polley (Ravens)

2. draft a stud WLB in the first round, my targets would be Manny Lawson or Ernie Sims

Pete, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I agree with what you posted but I still feel that signing Lavar is the right thing to do. He has so much to offer and with the new talent coming back in to the NFC East, I think a major move like this may be necessary.

I agree with what you posted but I still feel that signing Lavar is the right thing to do. He has so much to offer and with the new talent coming back in to the NFC East, I think a major move like this may be necessary.

I agree, I think we need to get a stud like Lavar or Petersen. For some reason though I think the Giants may not do this. I just hope that they make the right choice in the draft. I think that Bobby C. might be quite a steal in the first round. My roommate is a huge OSU fan and he watched every game this year, I asked him when Bobby C. was healthy if he was as good as Hawk. He said that they are very close and that Hawk is just a little better at this point. I say we take him or Greenway (if he keeps falling)

I agree, I think we need to get a stud like Lavar or Petersen. For some reason though I think the Giants may not do this. I just hope that they make the right choice in the draft. I think that Bobby C. might be quite a steal in the first round. My roommate is a huge OSU fan and he watched every game this year, I asked him when Bobby C. was healthy if he was as good as Hawk. He said that they are very close and that Hawk is just a little better at this point. I say we take him or Greenway (if he keeps falling)

No, we don't necessarily need to but I think a signing like that could be extremely useful in crucial matchups.

I don't think it is quite that bad at LB

we are pretty solid at SLB and MLB

We can still sign a solid FA like Tommy Polley (Ravens) in free agency. While not spectacular, he is quite capable.

The draft is loaded with top OLB talents. I do think it will make drafting an WLB a much higher priority.

I think we can then go two ways in the draft

1. Draft best WLB available at #25, most likely Demeco Ryans, Ernie Sims or Manny Lawson

2. Take advantage of the depth this year and trade down for an extra pick

(eg: Giants trade #25 to 49ers for #37, #68. The 49ers trade up to draft Manny Lawson or Bobby Carpenter to replace Andre Carter)

at #37 draft best WLB available, most likely D'Qwell Jackson or Thomas Howard

in either event, I would still look to draft another LB in the mid rounds to improve our LB depth, mostly likely an ILB such as Leon Williams (Miami) or Gerris Wilkerson (Georgia Tech) who can also play OLB or an OLB like Clint Ingram (Oklahoma) who can also play ILB

The Giants LBs would be (assuming (2))

SLB

Carlos Emmons

Reggie Torbor

MLB

Antonio Pierce

Leon Williams*

Chase Blackburn

WLB

Tommy Polley

D'Qwell Jackson*

Personally, I think this group has the potential to be a quality LB unit

Edited by BigPete

as you said there is no reason to panic just because the redskins went on there

annual buying spree!

The amount of great quality LBs can be picked in the draft but remember

the DT position is critical to the defense. I dont care how many sacks

OSi and Stray get the pattern with the giants is that the opposing QB

knows that the pressure most of the times comes from the outside so the

QB's step up and borrow's time. With a strong DT that can colapse the pocket

or put pressure up the middle will pay huge dividends for the Defense

as a whole especially the secondary!

Lets find our DT now!!! Ernie take out the check book!!!!

:rock:

Also remember with alot of teams filling their needs with quality free agent LBs,

there is a good chance that the LBs will slip a little further in the draft. (due to the number of stud corners, safeties, running backs and tackles). With the deep pf talent in this LB class, many teams will look for a LB in later rounds.

I think we should look at trying to trade down, possibly our #25 to 49ers for #37, #68 (who draft either Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson to replace Andre Carter)

At the moment I see these LBs going in the first round

AJ Hawk

Chad Greenway

Ernie Sims

Manny Lawson (to a 3-4 team)

Bobby Carpenter (to a 3-4 team)

I think that we would likely be able to get a stud OLB talent like DeMeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackosn or Thomas Howard at #37

Also remember with alot of teams filling their needs with quality free agent LBs,

there is a good chance that the LBs will slip a little further in the draft. (due to the number of stud corners, safeties, running backs and tackles). With the deep pf talent in this LB class, many teams will look for a LB in later rounds.

I think we should look at trying to trade down, possibly our #25 to 49ers for #37, #68 (who draft either Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson to replace Andre Carter)

At the moment I see these LBs going in the first round

AJ Hawk

Chad Greenway

Ernie Sims

Manny Lawson (to a 3-4 team)

Bobby Carpenter (to a 3-4 team)

I think that we would likely be able to get a stud OLB talent like DeMeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackosn or Thomas Howard at #37

jonathan vilma stepped right into the jets D and the talent in this years

draft is good enough for the Giants to find a kid that has great talent.

Some of the guys you mentioned . The giants need to really fill the DT position

which is weak right now. Joseph is inconsistant and robins is a guess now with his weight

and the other guys are really strong backups.

Adams ??

WHo would you like?

jonathan vilma stepped right into the jets D and the talent in this years

draft is good enough for the Giants to find a kid that has great talent.

Some of the guys you mentioned . The giants need to really fill the DT position

which is weak right now. Joseph is inconsistant and robins is a guess now with his weight

and the other guys are really strong backups.

Adams ??

WHo would you like?

We do need a DT, but we don't need to break the bank

I would be happy with either Brenston Bucknor, Sam Adams, Grady Jackson or Ryan Pickett

my prefernce would be Pickett because of his age and upside, but he would likely cost more, the others are probably more likely.

What we can't afford to do is overpay to sign them though.

I would also like to see us draft a decent DT such as Babatunde Oshinowo in the draft

Edited by BigPete

We do need a DT, but we don't need to break the bank

I would be happy with either Brenston Bucknor, Sam Adams, Grady Jackson or Ryan Pickett

my prefernce would be Pickett because of his age and upside, but he would likely cost more, the others are probably more likely.

What we can't afford to do is overpay to sign them though.

I would also like to see us draft a decent DT such as Babatunde Oshinowo in the draft

ernie usually doesnt break the bank so dont worry !!

he's a "value man" ! and i agree 100% with the plan!!

GO GIANTS !!

:worshippy:

Look for the Giants to draft one or two LB's (one high and one either far in the draft or middle) and have the high battle for the WLB spot vs Carlos Emmons.

I think that is a very possible scenario

Although there is some interesting info from an well-connnected member from another site about LaVar Arrington:

Update on Lavar.

He wants to be a Giant more than anything. His asking price has gone down and is creeping towards the Giants offer. The ONLY way he does not sign with the Giants is if someone comes out of the blue and makes a ridiculous offer, which hasn't even come close to happening to this point.

Without recieving the offer Poston was expecting from teams like Green Bay and Minnesota, Arrington will revisit the idea of playing for Big Blue. I don't have an exact quote....but he said something along the lines of...I want to be the reason the Redskins don't win the division with all of their big signings and aspirations.

Again, no source because I got this info via phonce call.

Edited by BigPete

I think that is a very possible scenario

Although there is some interesting info from an well-connnected member from another site about LaVar Arrington:

Pete seriously, you are getting this info from a poster who claims he gets phone calls from someone close to the Giants. He has no credit to his name what so ever, it does not deserve to be passed on as reliable information.