SportsWrath

The NFL should reseed based on record

xxi-xxv

Now I know this is going to sound like I am bringing this up because we have a better record than the team we are playing, yet they won their division such they get the home game, but in all honesty look at the teams the Giants had to play. The entire NFc east was .500 or better. Why not reseed? Take the Jags and Steelers as well, the Jags play in a division that has 2(probably 3 after tonight)playoff teams and they are 11-5, yet have to travel to Pittsburgh, who is 10-6. Is this really fair? I know the case can be made that winning the division should be rewarded, but where does one draw the line in stating the only reason a team won that divsion was because they were in it and another team was not?

Another factor in why the league might want to start reseeding based on records for teams 3-6 is what we saw this past weekend, teams resting players. Lets say a home playoff game and a 1 game lead on the Seahawks and Bucs was riding on this weeks game? There is no talk at all about who Coughlin should or should not play and the fans would not subjected to the crap that Tampa and Seattle put on the field this week. AGain do not mean to sound like this is a Giant thing because of our situation, I guess I am just bothered at all these meaningless games this weekend and fans(and in Clevelands case teams) getting screwed because all this stuff is locked up.

For the record in our case, its probably a good thing we are on the road, but normally one would never prefer the road to home.

Now I know this is going to sound like I am bringing this up because we have a better record than the team we are playing, yet they won their division such they get the home game, but in all honesty look at the teams the Giants had to play. The entire NFc east was .500 or better. Why not reseed? Take the Jags and Steelers as well, the Jags play in a division that has 2(probably 3 after tonight)playoff teams and they are 11-5, yet have to travel to Pittsburgh, who is 10-6. Is this really fair? I know the case can be made that winning the division should be rewarded, but where does one draw the line in stating the only reason a team won that divsion was because they were in it and another team was not?

Another factor in why the league might want to start reseeding based on records for teams 3-6 is what we saw this past weekend, teams resting players. Lets say a home playoff game and a 1 game lead on the Seahawks and Bucs was riding on this weeks game? There is no talk at all about who Coughlin should or should not play and the fans would not subjected to the crap that Tampa and Seattle put on the field this week. AGain do not mean to sound like this is a Giant thing because of our situation, I guess I am just bothered at all these meaningless games this weekend and fans(and in Clevelands case teams) getting screwed because all this stuff is locked up.

For the record in our case, its probably a good thing we are on the road, but normally one would never prefer the road to home.

Agree completely.....too bad for Cleveland that Manning gets pulled after the first quarter. Ridiculous when compared to the Giants who would have been run out of town by the media and the league if they had done similar. So a decent Cleveland team had to rely on the non-motivation of a rival to get into the playoffs against teams in the same conference with lesser records.

If they started doing that I'd want the whole thing reseeded based on strength of schedule. It'd be a mess. The current system emphasises divisional games and fuels divisional rivalries, which is a good thing IMHO.

The resting starters point is a good argument though.

Just get rid of divisions, and have your top 6 records in each conference make the playoffs. Seed accordingly. The right teams would always make the playoffs, and week 17 might actually mean something.

This might hurt rivalries somewhat, but real rivalries are formed when two teams are actually good and stand in each other's way, so there is always room for new ones.