SportsWrath

DOES ANYONE REALLY BELIEVE THAT ELWAY JR. CAN WIN A PLAYOFF GAME?

BadEgg

did you even watch that game? he had protection and time? and the dog wonders if you have ever watched any game...with the time being what it was...with the fact that it was 4th and long, and with the fact that they were out of options, he had to throw to the endzone...and if you watch football, you understand that the defense plays to keep everything in front at that time...fact is, romo is good, and this is coming from someone who is not a cowboys fan...can you blame him for the loss because he threw an interception on that play? no...that would be just silly...the fact is there are a number of things you can point to that cost the cowboys that game...

Yeah, I watched it like I do all of em. Yes. PROTECTION AND TIME. Not all day, but he was under no immediate rush. And just like joemorrisforprez pointed out above me, he opted to go long on each one when he could have went for a couple of hooks towards the sidelines to get closer to the endzone. He chose to go on 4th and long to T Glenn who was DOUBLE COVERED. I know they play to keep them in front of em, but one way or another Romo lost it for thme.

you are limiting the loss to one last drive...this loss extends to the fact that the cowboys ran all over the giants for the better part of 3 quarters, and then ran just 4 times in the 4th quarter...the o-line went south, the center couldn't snap shotgun, receivers dropped passes...this loss goes well beyond romo's last drive. the dog believes he is a quality QB that will be good for a long time...he needs to handle the pressure of the big games better, but that will come in time...giant fans should recognize that better then anyone...

You could also say that the Giants defense stepped it up in the second half. The O-line went south? Maybe that had something to do with them trying to stop best front 4 in the NFL for 4 quarters. Eventually, Osi, Strahan & Co. are going to either wear you down or figure you out. As far as I saw, there were a couple of dropped passes, and one of them belonged to Corey Webster in the first half that would've stopped a TD drive, but Cowboys fans don't mention that one. These things happen on both sides. The team that makes the fewest mistakes almost ALWAYS win. It's a credit to the Giants that they didn't make as many as the Cowboys, because they played better as a team. I agree that Romo is a very good QB who will be good for a long time. I've said before and will say it again, neither of these teams are going anywhere, and I think the road to the SuperBowl in the NFC will go through New York and Dallas for at least the next several years.

you are limiting the loss to one last drive...this loss extends to the fact that the cowboys ran all over the giants for the better part of 3 quarters, and then ran just 4 times in the 4th quarter...[font="Garamond]the o-line went south, the center couldn't snap shotgun, receivers dropped passes...[/font]this loss goes well beyond romo's last drive. the dog believes he is a quality QB that will be good for a long time...he needs to handle the pressure of the big games better, but that will come in time...giant fans should recognize that better then anyone...

Well when Giants fans made 'excuses' about the Washington/NYG game when Eli threw it for 52 times AND Jacobs avg 5 yds per carry that game....Some folks jumped all over that...saying "don't blame the play calling, don't blame the wind, it's Eli: he just doesn't perform well at times....too streaky, cracks under pressure, not accurate...etc,etc.. Now some of us are making 'excuses' for Romo? It was a closely fought game and some games come down to one last play to win it or lose it. I wont push aside all of the other drives that happened the first three quarters. Both teams did some good things and both teams did some bad things. But IF Eli would have been in Romo's shoes in that fourth quarter and threw that pick to end the game for the Giants...I am willing to guess your 'tune' would not be the same. You and the entire media would have crucified Eli. Comments that come to mind would have been "Eli can't read defenses, he collapsed under pressure, why did he throw that pass?...." And your alter ego would have said "makings of a B-U-S-T."

you are limiting the loss to one last drive...this loss extends to the fact that the cowboys ran all over the giants for the better part of 3 quarters, and then ran just 4 times in the 4th quarter...the o-line went south, the center couldn't snap shotgun, receivers dropped passes...this loss goes well beyond romo's last drive. the dog believes he is a quality QB that will be good for a long time...he needs to handle the pressure of the big games better, but that will come in time...giant fans should recognize that better then anyone...

You have valid points, but then again, the game was there for the taking in the 4th quarter. But whereas Eli made the right decisions, Romo did not.

As you know, there is more to the QB than just having time to throw the ball.

Give credit to Manning for making the proper reads at the line, using the hard count to get the Dallas defenders to show their hand, pump faking to lead defenders out of the passing lanes, and then hitting the open guy. After all, Dallas has a pretty damn good pass rush of their own, and they were trying their best to get to Manning as well.

It was Romo, and not Eli, that had an All-pro offensive line protecting him.

Romo had a pro-bowler at TE; Manning was dealing with a rookie.

Romo was throwing against a battered secondary; Eli was throwing against rested veteran starters.

No matter how you slice it, the goats horns go on the QB. That's the way football is.

Wade Wilson and Romo were throwing statistics around in a feeble attempt to deflect the obvious - Eli outplayed Romo in their biggest showdown to date. And of all the statistics mentioned, they conveniently forgot to cite the passer ratings - Eli was somewhere above 120, and Romo was somewhere in the 60's....that stat, along with the neglected return yardage stats, really told the story of this game.

Cool....

...Romo is a good QB, no doubt....

...but we have to go back to our favorite word 'excuses'. No O line, no coaching, bad play calling, etc etc.. But in the end (4th and 20) it was Romo that threw the pick. I can recall a particular game where Eli and the Giants were playing Denver....you probably watched it. Anyway, Eli needed to throw a TD to win it and completed the TD to Toomer. Say what you want to but Eli got a lot of praise for completing that winning TD pass. Some might say "Eli won that game for us". Now when it comes to Romo NOT making that TD pass this past Sunday leads me to believe he COULD NOT win the big game (again). No matter what transpired BEFORE it got to that last second 'heave' to the end zone to possibly win it....Romo did not get 'er dunn...can u agree?

excuses are "the officials only throw flags against our team and that is why they lost"...or, "injuries cost us the game"...facts are that the o-line was poor in the second half, they inexpilicably stopped trying to run the ball...the dog makes no excuses, but is just stating that one interception on the final play on 4th and 20 with a handful of seconds left on the clock is difficult to place the loss on romo...yes, he didn't play at his best, and yes, the giants defense and coaches made adjustments, but to pin the loss on that one play? you are essentially giving your precious team no credit in the win as well...somewhat odd in the dog's opinion...

But he wasn't the reason they won either. He did throw the last pick. Now would we be saying that IF Romo competes the pass for a Td to beat the Giants? They'd say "Romo carried the Cowboys to the secoond round, Romo wins it." See the logic? So since Romo threw a ball in double coverage for an INT...to me...Romo LOST it. When the game was close AND the Defense stopped the Giants for TWO 3 and outs....why didn't Romo step up?(according to Eggy Romo isn't Eli...). Romo actually 'fell apart' down the stretch like the pressure was too much (again) (see Seattle...botched snap). Again the Dallas defense stopped the Giants and gave the Offense a chance to win it and Romo threw the pick. His fault they lost. And the Giants took advantage and I am HAPPY!

I think Romo lost it more with that intentional grounding and taking a 14 yard sack. Those were two terrible plays. The INT was a desperation heave.

The 14 yard sack he could've thrown it away. He still has some growing up to do.

I think Romo lost it more with that intentional grounding and taking a 14 yard sack. Those were two terrible plays. The INT was a desperation heave.

The 14 yard sack he could've thrown it away. He still has some growing up to do.

the dog completely agrees...and beyond those plays, this game was lost for a number of reasons...not just a last ditch interception...

You have valid points, but then again, the game was there for the taking in the 4th quarter. But whereas Eli made the right decisions, Romo did not.

As you know, there is more to the QB than just having time to throw the ball.

Give credit to Manning for making the proper reads at the line, using the hard count to get the Dallas defenders to show their hand, pump faking to lead defenders out of the passing lanes, and then hitting the open guy. After all, Dallas has a pretty damn good pass rush of their own, and they were trying their best to get to Manning as well.

It was Romo, and not Eli, that had an All-pro offensive line protecting him.

Romo had a pro-bowler at TE; Manning was dealing with a rookie.

Romo was throwing against a battered secondary; Eli was throwing against rested veteran starters.

No matter how you slice it, the goats horns go on the QB. That's the way football is.

Wade Wilson and Romo were throwing statistics around in a feeble attempt to deflect the obvious - Eli outplayed Romo in their biggest showdown to date. And of all the statistics mentioned, they conveniently forgot to cite the passer ratings - Eli was somewhere above 120, and Romo was somewhere in the 60's....that stat, along with the neglected return yardage stats, really told the story of this game.

Intersting analysis. Had Crayton caught the one pass in his hands, and not stopped running in the endzone while Romo's pass sailed over his head late in the 4th (which Crayton has since admitted was his fault) we would be talking about how the Giants were too conservative with Manning. I also think these two plays would have boosted Romo's passer rating as well.

As far as Romo's meltdown on the intentional grounding call, the NFL has since contacted Jerry and said it was the wrong call. I also am quite certain it would have been impossible for Romo to make tackles on special teams, rap up Toomer after he caught his first pass, throw a completion to Witten and simultaneously prevent Leonard Davis from jumping on Strahan, nor could he step in for Jaque Reeves who tackled Steve Smith by the face mask during Eli's big halftime heroics.

None of these issues are excuses for the Cowboys losing. Especially the penalties. Nor are they excuses for Romo, who has some growing up to do and could have played better. But pinning the loss on Romo is ridiculous.

What's even more interesting about your Eli analysis is that the Giants offense went 3 and out on its last two possessions of the 4th quarter. And I believe on the last one, Eli may have taken a sack. There was no pump faking and hitting the open guy there.

I applaud the Giants game plan, as they are clearly attempting to limit what they ask Eli to do. But I wonder how long they can do this and be successful. Sooner or later, in the playoffs, you have to be able to make big plays in the passing game.

As far as Romo's meltdown on the intentional grounding call, the NFL has since contacted Jerry and said it was the wrong call.

How on Earth do they figure that? He was still in the pocket and there wasn't a receiver in site.

Did they explain why Adams was allowed to stay on the field for the 3rd down play after they stopped the clock with him lying on the turf?

Intersting analysis. Had Crayton caught the one pass in his hands, and not stopped running in the endzone while Romo's pass sailed over his head late in the 4th (which Crayton has since admitted was his fault) we would be talking about how the Giants were too conservative with Manning. I also think these two plays would have boosted Romo's passer rating as well.

As far as Romo's meltdown on the intentional grounding call, the NFL has since contacted Jerry and said it was the wrong call. I also am quite certain it would have been impossible for Romo to make tackles on special teams, rap up Toomer after he caught his first pass, throw a completion to Witten and simultaneously prevent Leonard Davis from jumping on Strahan, nor could he step in for Jaque Reeves who tackled Steve Smith by the face mask during Eli's big halftime heroics.

None of these issues are excuses for the Cowboys losing. Especially the penalties. Nor are they excuses for Romo, who has some growing up to do and could have played better. But pinning the loss on Romo is ridiculous.

I applaud the Giants game plan, as they are clearly attempting to limit what they ask Eli to do. But I wonder how long they can do this and be successful. Sooner or later, in the playoffs, you have to be able to make big plays in the passing game.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.....blah, blah, blah.

Had Crayton caught the pass (oh yeah...he didn't), the game would have unfolded in a different manner with game plans changing, etc. The outcome is unknown.

Oh yeah....that time when Jacobs was downed before he got to the line of scrimmage....should he have eluded the tackle, he would've probably run the length of the field and the score would've been 28 to 17....but he didn't....duhhh.

How on Earth do they figure that? He was still in the pocket and there wasn't a receiver in site.

Did they explain why Adams was allowed to stay on the field for the 3rd down play after they stopped the clock with him lying on the turf?

Again, I am not blaming the officiating on the loss and I don't no specific circumstances as why the NFL said it was the wrong call. Maybe it will be on the NFL channel. My post was specific to Romo.

What's even more interesting about your Eli analysis is that the Giants offense went 3 and out on its last two possessions of the 4th quarter. And I believe on the last one, Eli may have taken a sack. There was no pump faking and hitting the open guy there.

I wouldn't exactly call Romo's game a "meltdown." We got pressure on him, and that forced some mistakes on him. That happens to every quarterback that is human--which obviously removes Brady from the conversation. I hate this meltdown talk--it cheapens what our defense accomplished.

Attempting to limit what they ask Eli to do? Roethlisberger has made a career out of numbers like Eli had Sunday; and that totally disregards what Manning did against the Pats and Bucs. And even with the fewer passes, if 2 of them result in TDs, I won't say a word.

He did. On the final drive to tie it up before half. And on the drive that scored us the winning TD. Remember those passes to STEVE SMITH, the guy you said had to make a few more big catches before we know who he is? Well I guess you know who he is now. Anyway, just because those final two drives didnt result in a big play, doesnt mean he didnt make them. He made them enough to get us the lead, and then our D kept it. Romo couldnt do the same. He choked.

The Cowboys went away from the running game for a variety of reasons, and among them, it could have been the fact that Marion Barber was losing effectiveness. I don't know if his 2nd half decline was due to fatigue, or else defensive adjustments by the Giants. Or, perhaps, that massive offensive line of the Cowboys could have run out of steam. They allowed more than a couple jailbreaks from the Giants pass rush in the 4th quarter (if only I could have read Romo's lips as he lit into his lineman).

Everyone was comparing the average weight of the Dallas line (320???) to the weight of the Giants pass rushers....and you could tell who was carrying the extra 70 lbs late in the game, when the speed rush was cranked up.

The Cowboys coaching staff deserves a great deal of blame - for the life of me, I don't know why they didnt put a fresh Julius Jones in the game in the 4th quarter, and don't understand the logic of attempting low-percentage pass plays in the fourth quarter, when there was ample time to move the ball via the run and short slants and outs.

Conversely, credit the Giants coaching staff with realizing that the secondary was too banged up to be left on an island against the Dallas passing game. Spags cranked up the blitz, allowing the Giants defenders to play to their strength - speed and mobility - which was the achilles hill of the mammoth, but plodding, Cowboys offensive line.

But all this being said, the fact remains that Romo had plenty of chances to win the game - and did not.

...Intersting analysis. Had Crayton caught the one pass in his hands, and not stopped running in the endzone while Romo's pass sailed over his head late in the 4th (which Crayton has since admitted was his fault) we would be talking about how the Giants were too conservative with Manning....

...pinning the loss on Romo is ridiculous....

What's even more interesting about your Eli analysis is that the Giants offense went 3 and out on its last two possessions of the 4th quarter. And I believe on the last one, Eli may have taken a sack. There was no pump faking and hitting the open guy there....

At the risk of diving into Lake Cliche:

When it comes to playing QB, winning is the most important stat, and Eli got the win. It might be unfair, but the loss gets hung on the QB. You Cowboy fans are probably not used to dealing with it this season - up until now, the 2007 season has been one big box of chocolates for you guys. 13 wins, clinching everything with 5 weeks to go in the season, etc., etc. Meanwhile, Eli has been subjected to a weekly colonoscopy since the day he was drafted.

A lot of the criticism has been merited, and I'm sure the armchair QBs will be back at it on Monday if he has a rough game up in Lambeau. But for now Eli deserves a great deal of credit for how far the Giants have gotten this year. Consider the last 3 games:

His performance against New England was the best for any QB to date against the Patriots. He was almost perfect, and more than any player he was the guy who kept that game as close as it was. (As an interesting coincidence, Romo fared far worse against the Patriots....but that's getting away from the main point). Eli Manning, more than anyone else outside of Tom Coughlin, delivered the jolt of adrenaline this team needed heading into the playoffs.

The following week, against the #1 pass defense in the NFL, Eli dissected the Buccaneers. That late TD drive to go up 24-7 was broke the back of the Tampa defense. Again....Eli was called upon to get the job done, and delivered.

And against Dallas, a win, 2 big TD's, 0 INTs, 133 passer rating....what more can you ask the kid to do? In no way will I argue that Eli had a perfect game, but every single yard he gained through the air was huge - he linked together 3 TD drives, and also managed to move the ball and maximize field position.

Those last 2 drives were conservative by design.....sure, I would have loved to have seen a 1st down, but again, it all goes back to an understanding of the circumstances of the game. When you are deep in your own territory, on the road, with the lead, and with a defense that has suddenly buckled down, the last thing you want to do is make a mistake and give the Cowboys a short field, or worse, a defensive TD. Again, it comes back to playing according to down, distance, time, and field position. You saw the complete opposite at the end of the 1st half. When the Cowboys went ahead 14-7, Eli was able to race down the field, score the TD, and completely revive the spirit of the team.

My only critique of the final Giants possessions was that they should have run Bradshaw on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. With a stacked line, they could have used his quickness, and I felt he had the better chance to elude a tackler and get at least one first down. But that's all academic.

What's clear to me is this: Parcells deserves a great deal of credit for discovering and developing Romo. It's a damn shame that Parcells, instead of getting credit, is dismissed as some sort of washed-up old school grouch, when it's clear that everything he tried to preach to Romo in 2006 was ignored in 2007 - and the results were all over the field last weekend. If I were a Cowboy fan, I'd actually be more concerned about the front-office and coaching situation than about Romo, despite Romo's repeated playoff futility.

The Cowboys went away from the running game for a variety of reasons, and among them, it could have been the fact that Marion Barber was losing effectiveness. I don't know if his 2nd half decline was due to fatigue, or else defensive adjustments by the Giants. Or, perhaps, that massive offensive line of the Cowboys could have run out of steam. They allowed more than a couple jailbreaks from the Giants pass rush in the 4th quarter (if only I could have read Romo's lips as he lit into his lineman).

Everyone was comparing the average weight of the Dallas line (320???) to the weight of the Giants pass rushers....and you could tell who was carrying the extra 70 lbs late in the game, when the speed rush was cranked up.

The Cowboys coaching staff deserves a great deal of blame - for the life of me, I don't know why they didnt put a fresh Julius Jones in the game in the 4th quarter, and don't understand the logic of attempting low-percentage pass plays in the fourth quarter, when there was ample time to move the ball via the run and short slants and outs.

Conversely, credit the Giants coaching staff with realizing that the secondary was too banged up to be left on an island against the Dallas passing game. Spags cranked up the blitz, allowing the Giants defenders to play to their strength - speed and mobility - which was the achilles hill of the mammoth, but plodding, Cowboys offensive line.

But all this being said, the fact remains that Romo had plenty of chances to win the game - and did not.

the dog agrees 100%...this is all part of a loss...certainly romo didn't make the plays when he had opportunities, but fact of the matter is, it is difficult to make plays when you are getting the snap and taking off from immediate pressure...should he have thrown the ball away? yes, but if you watch replays from several of the sacks he took, he pulled up because he had players running free...the dog gives the giants coaches credit, but dallas' coaching didn't help their efforts - with that much pressure and blitzing, throw a screen...stay with the run game and as you said, a fresh jones...move the pocket...run a reverse...the dog agrees that romo missed chances, but this loss was on that entire team...

did you even watch that game? he had protection and time? and the dog wonders if you have ever watched any game...with the time being what it was...with the fact that it was 4th and long, and with the fact that they were out of options, he had to throw to the endzone...and if you watch football, you understand that the defense plays to keep everything in front at that time...fact is, romo is good, and this is coming from someone who is not a cowboys fan...can you blame him for the loss because he threw an interception on that play? no...that would be just silly...the fact is there are a number of things you can point to that cost the cowboys that game...

Actually, it was 4th and 11 from the 23, with 16 seconds. He could've dumped it off for a first down and either gotten it out of bounds or spiked on the next play.

And furthermore, he had protection and all kinds of time on that particular play.

3 attempts from the 23, all for naught except an int.

Now if we were talking about Eli instead of Romo, Eggdog would be laying the blame on the kid pretty damn thick.

Actually, it was 4th and 11 from the 23, with 16 seconds. He could've dumped it off for a first down and either gotten it out of bounds or spiked on the next play.

And furthermore, he had protection and all kinds of time on that particular play.

Now if we were talking about Eli instead of Romo, Eggdog would be laying the blame on the kid pretty damn thick.

Yeah, I even watched the end of that game again, not that I needed too, but I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going crazy. I knew he had all kinds of time, dog just has nothing to say. He made bad decisions that whole drive.

Well was Toomer's first TD a 'big play' that was made (vs your Cowboys)? It was a long TD 'pass' for a TD??? Or was the pass to Boss from Eli a 'big play' during that :57 seconds left in the half drive?

Eggy? You're acting like Eli isn't making ANY big throws or big plays in these playoffs. Limiting what Eli can do? Hmmmn. Eli's numbers are better in the last 4 weeks (including the playoffs). I believe 1 int and 6 TDs during that stretch. So if 'they' are limiting what Eli is doing....I love it....Eli still has thrown TDs (big and small) lately. Limiting what he does in the passing game would be like 3 straight handoffs and hoping that one of the runs get you a TD or first down. As you saw, that didn't happen. Egg, if you watched the game...the Giants avg starting field position was great. Meant shorter drives, run game was working ok, and Eli took what the D gave him in the passing game. Sometimes I think that the Dallas staff should have 'clearly limited' what Romo had to do...being that Marion Barber was crushing us in the Running game.... <_<

ok, so for arguments sake, lets say he "dumps" off a pass to get 11 yards and a first down...the dog sees that whole process from snap to pass to tackle taking 7 seconds...then the official comes in and has to spot the ball, the players have to get back to the line of scrimmage, get set, and have him snap the ball and spike it...your time frame is blown there...no choice but to go to the endzone in that situation...

agreed that the decisions prior to weren't the best (although if crayton doesn't stop running on the previous pass, who knows...)...the point of the whole debate was that you can't pin the loss entirely on the QB...there was a lot more going on that game...surely you have seen football enough to know that...or not...

ok, so for arguments sake, lets say he "dumps" off a pass to get 11 yards and a first down...the dog sees that whole process from snap to pass to tackle taking 7 seconds...then the official comes in and has to spot the ball, the players have to get back to the line of scrimmage, get set, and have him snap the ball and spike it...your time frame is blown there...no choice but to go to the endzone in that situation...

agreed that the decisions prior to weren't the best (although if crayton doesn't stop running on the previous pass, who knows...)...the point of the whole debate was that you can't pin the loss entirely on the QB...there was a lot more going on that game...surely you have seen football enough to know that...or not...

You're saying an offense can't pick up 11 yards and either 1. get out of bounds within 16 seconds or 2. line up and spike the ball within 16 seconds?

I've seen it a hundred times, but if you say so....

BTW did you look at that play again? Do you now agree he had all the protection and time in the world?

You're saying an offense can't pick up 11 yards and either 1. get out of bounds within 16 seconds or 2. line up and spike the ball within 16 seconds?

I've seen it a hundred times, but if you say so....

BTW did you look at that play again? Do you now agree he had all the protection and time in the world?

Notice how he skipped that alltogether. He cant admit I was right. ;)

Sooner or later, in the playoffs, you have to be able to make big plays in the passing game.

No, that's complete bullshit. You have to play better football than your opponent. Big plays or no big plays.

One thing is certain:

Sooner or later, in the playoffs, you have to win to be able to advance.

No, that's complete bullshit. You have to play better football than your opponent. Big plays or no big plays.

One thing is certain:

Sooner or later, in the playoffs, you have to win to be able to advance.

:LMAO:

This seems to be the ongoing excuse for Dallas cryboy fans. That they played better than us so it doesnt matter who's still in it, Dallas is the best. :rolleyes: We won, thats all that matters.