SportsWrath

A meeting of Giant Minds

Lughead

VIKES DEBACLE SPURS A MEETING OF MINDS

By BART HUBBUCH

giantnotes.gif November 30, 2007 -- The Giants followed last Sunday's 41-17 meltdown against the Vikings with a players-only offensive team meeting this week.

The timing was far from a coincidence.

"Some things needed to be said between the players (after the loss)," tight end Jeremy Shockey said yesterday. "It was just between us, and it is going to stay between us."

Shockey tried to downplay the get-together, saying the Giants have them roughly twice a year, but he admitted the ugly setback against the Vikings - which included no shortage of miscommunication between quarterback Eli Manning and his receivers - prompted this one.

"Some of the players talked individually . . . about the things that we can do to improve in the areas that we need to," Shockey said of an offense that has slumped to 18th in the NFL in total yardage. "We need to do it fast."

Adding to the Giants' injury woes on defense, FS Gibril Wilson (knee) was held out of practice yesterday. Rookies Craig Dahl and Michael Johnson are next on the depth chart if Wilson can't go.

MLB Antonio Pierce (ankle) was held out for a second consecutive day but is expected to practice today and said he plans to play against the Bears.

The same can't be said for CB Aaron Ross, who didn't practice again yesterday and appears unlikely for Sunday. Coach Tom Coughlin said Kevin Dockery would start if Ross remains sidelined.

Offensively, RB Derrick Ward (ankle, groin) participated in the entire practice and intends to play, but fellow RB Brandon Jacobs (hamstring) continues to look doubtful. Ward playfully called Jacobs "a big baby" to his face for sitting out, but Jacobs defended himself by saying his injury "is what it is."

Special teams coordinator Tom Quinn admitted he has laid awake at night this week thinking up ways to defend Bears return ace Devin Hester, who had two runbacks for touchdowns last week against the Broncos.

"You don't sleep much" the week of a game against Hester, Quinn said.

The Bears have gotten creative with Hester, even dropping back four players on punts to form a wedge for his returns.

"I've never seen that before," Quinn said. "I've seen three guys back, but never that many."

If the Bears drop four back again and it's 4th and 6 or something like that, I direct snap that ball to one of the guys in front of the punter.

There's a reason teams don't do that. It's because they're scared theyl'l get bit in the ass with a crazy fake punt like that.

I think Bradshaw will have a big return Sunday. It seems all eyes are on Hester to do something, but maybe our spceial teams guy will be the difference in the game.

If the Bears drop four back again and it's 4th and 6 or something like that, I direct snap that ball to one of the guys in front of the punter.

There's a reason teams don't do that. It's because they're scared theyl'l get bit in the ass with a crazy fake punt like that.

I think Bradshaw will have a big return Sunday. It seems all eyes are on Hester to do something, but maybe our spceial teams guy will be the difference in the game.

I seem to remember... somewhere around 9-10 years ago we were playing the Cowboys in a night game (can't remember if it was MNF or SNF) when Deion Sanders was on a tear with punt returns. One of the guys in the pregame show says, "I guarantee you that #21 makes a game changing or back breaking return for a TD!" Later on in that game Deion is shut down and Tiki Barber returns a punt for a TD sealing a win for the Giants. Maybe we see a repeat? :ph34r: