SportsWrath

The New York Giants v Detroit Lions breakdown from yesterday, please do not read if you feel this an attempt to garner attention!

boohyah

I swear... how the hell was he supposed to pull up when he was diving towards Kitna before he threw the ball?

It's not because it was a late hit. You can't hit a QB below the knees at any time unless you're blocked into him by a member of the offense. It was soft, but technically right.

I don't know about a fumble, but I wouldn't allow them to throw it away, even if it's past the LOS. In that case it should be the next down from the spot of the throw. When the QB take the ball away from the LOS to give himself more time to throw, he shouldn't automatically get it back from the same point when the play fucks up. An RB doesn't get the same advantage.

That might be a bit harsh, but I think anything that's not a legitimate attempt to complete a pass should be intentional grounding. Defenses get a raw deal.

The NFL wants to have the crazy-seat-of-your-pants fun of watching a QB scramble all over the place and make a big play, but they don't want to see their QBs get hurt.

And while that makes sense from a marketing perspective, the laws of physics say otherwise.

So the NFL has decided to completely shaft the defense in general. I'm convinced that last season, had Kiwi sacked Vince Young, they would have called roughing the passer anyway....that's why that play didn't bother me much.

If they really want fair rules, they would say something like this:

1 - If the QB is in the pocket, and is grabbed, it's an instant sack....to "protect the QB".

2 - If the QB is outside the tackles (i.e., outside the hashmarks), and/or over the line of scrimmage, then for rules purposes he is no longer a passer, but a runner....i.e., roughing the passer penalties are now voided.

1 - If the QB is in the pocket, and is grabbed, it's an instant sack....to "protect the QB".

2 - If the QB is outside the tackles (i.e., outside the hashmarks), and/or over the line of scrimmage, then for rules purposes he is no longer a passer, but a runner....i.e., roughing the passer penalties are now voided.

they've already tried rule 1 and it was awful.

As soon as he leaves the pocket he's a RB in my opinion. Slide if you want to be a pussy, but be prepared to take a hit just like anyone else.

As soon as he leaves the pocket he's a RB in my opinion. Slide if you want to be a pussy, but be prepared to take a hit just like anyone else.

Aren't they until they slide? It seems like QBs get pummeled if they don't slide just like any other player.

Actually this brings up a good question about protecting players in general. Why do QBs get so much special treatment? Many RBs have had blown out knees because of low hits and they don't get a no below the knee hit rule. You could easily argue that RBs are as popular as, if not more than, QBs in football. It's a bullshit double standard really.

Aren't they until they slide? It seems like QBs get pummeled if they don't slide just like any other player.

Actually this brings up a good question about protecting players in general. Why do QBs get so much special treatment? Many RBs have had blown out knees because of low hits and they don't get a no below the knee hit rule. You could easily argue that RBs are as popular as, if not more than, QBs in football. It's a bullshit double standard really.

I'm pretty sure all the special QB rules are in effect until they pass the line of scrimmage.

If it was just a safety issue then you'd think they'd ban all hits or blocks below the knee on any player, not just QBs. Anything other than hand contact that is.

Lay those motherfucker's out.....whether they are dropping back to pass.....or pulling it down to run. Defense is a lost art as it is. A man is running toward a QB, gets blocked below the waist and ends up airborne as he is reaching for him and he gets a flag for his efforts.....that is just outright bullshit.

it was fucking awful ...goodbye McLaren

oh ...and have a very Happy Thanksgiving by the way

Well he's gone now. Can you say Fabio Capello perhaps, or the Special one??

On a side note, read this today, Luton Town goes into admin. That's too bad considering that back in the 80's they had a good side.