SportsWrath

Thank You Yankees

Virginia Giant

By not allowing him into the negotiations. I know thewy're still gonna over pay him, but they were going to anyway, and not only is arod not gonna get the money he was looking for, he's also gonna have to "take a cut" from the Rangers money.

I admit it would have been better if they stuck by their word and not let him come back, but this is second best.

to me, it looks all staged. besides, according to binding agreement, an agent cannot be 'locked out' from negotiation. so, it's all a bunch of face saving B.S.

I will say arod looks real bad here. He should have taken a lesser offer with the angels or dodgers or somebody instead of crawling back.

free agency has been open for 2 weeks! they could not have explored all the options. i would not be surprised if this whole thing was planned by both parties to steal the thunder from the red sox.

Yeah because I'm Sure that's what the Red Sox were worried about.

nah, boras wins. he still gets paid, and he successfully called the yankees bluff.

I agree and disagree. Boras has defintely taken a huge blow to his rep on this one. Hank Steinbrenner is gangsta and will not be bullied by a super agent like Boras. But Boras will still get paid like you said. I think the Yankees called Boras' bluff. They knew the whole time that no team could offer alex what the yankees could so they said, fine, go fuck yourself...only to have Boras' client reach out on his own and schedule a meeting with the yankees to get a deal done.....all while boras has to sit outside.

i hear that but boras always had a bad rep anyway. true no team could meet their demands but what happened to the yanks strong stance about how a-rod wouldn't be a yankee if he opted out and didn't sign an extension?

i hear that but boras always had a bad rep anyway. true no team could meet their demands but what happened to the yanks strong stance about how a-rod wouldn't be a yankee if he opted out and didn't sign an extension?

I dig, but the deal is supposed to be what the yankees were going to offer him in an extension plus the money left on his former contract minus the scratch the rangers were paying so its pretty much the same thing as if he never opted out and took the extension. Its not as if the yankees went out an pursued him, the rod stepped to the yankees.

in any event, it just adds to the yankees off season soap opera

Reality came back to haunt them. They needed a 3rd basemen. By excluding Boras they save some face. By getting Arod to agree to deduct from any contract the money the Rangers would have paid they lose one of their biggest gripes about Arod opting out.

i agree, both sides win. i just think arod gets the edge here cuz the yanks took a really hard stance with him which made his opting out riskier. if they never took that stance, and he opts out to test his market value he knows in the back of his mind that the yanks are still playes too. what the yanks tried to do was eliminate this safety net for him and making his opt out riskier, hoping that this risk would keep him from opting out. so in a way he still got to test his market value, found out he wasn't getting more than what the yanks were offering, and got to go back for a two mil raise and another 7 years of security--i think that gives him the edge here

I dig, but the deal is supposed to be what the yankees were going to offer him in an extension plus the money left on his former contract minus the scratch the rangers were paying so its pretty much the same thing as if he never opted out and took the extension. Its not as if the yankees went out an pursued him, the rod stepped to the yankees.

in any event, it just adds to the yankees off season soap opera

If I remember right, the original offer was for a 5 yr extension, and this way they're adding 2 yrs.

Seriously, I don't understand how anybody could give the Yankee front office credit for their handling of this. It's laughable that they're being seen as having taken a hard line with Boras and winning. Bottom line is, they put their foot down and said they wouldn't negotiate with the guy if he opted out, then ended up giving him the richest contract in the history of the sport, even though nobody else had any interest in him whatsoever at the price they paid for him. How is Boras put in his place if he gets a commission on the richest contract in baseball history? Not only that, they gave this contract to a guy who is a proven choker in the big spot.