SportsWrath

Please, for the Love of God........

BronxRik

The answer is No!. And that's a very annoyed no, not at you Golfin, but in general.

In Ireland, it's Bacon and Cabbage, and that's a lump of salted cured bacon, not sliced. It's boiled in the pot with the cabbage and the meat is delicous. I don't like cabbage myself (as Newman said "vile weed").

What annoyes me about the whole "Corned Beef and Cabbage" deal is that someone in America felt this was a good idea and has convinced everyone in the country that most Irish people eat this all the time and that on St. patricks day that's all they eat. Got news for you, they don't, in fact the Irish themselves don't celebrate St. patricks day anywhere near the extent that Americans do, not even close, it's a national holiday and it's more a religous holiday.

I will say that Corned beef does exist in Ireland, but it's more of a type of cheap luncheon meat that you usually get at the deli or pre packaged and it's sliced. Sorry dude, but the whole corned beef and cabbage deal is a sore point for me.

Part of the Grand Jewish Conspiracy I bet. The NY Irish were to drunk to market their own holiday properly and the Jews stepped in to fill the niche and push their own product.

Easter isn't on a different day every year though, Easter is always on a Sunday dude.

Yeah, Jesus just happened to rise from the dead on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring equinox. It was originally "Eostrefest" for the pagan fertility god Eostre. Eggs and the hare we symbols of her, and she was sometimes depicted with hare's ears.

I didn't learn that in preschool though.

Also known as Ishtar, Istar or Istare. The early Church decided to wipe out the pagan belief system by incorporating traditional pagan holidays and putting a Christian veneer on them. Yuletide (Jesus more than likely based on the prevailing weather conditions as indicated in the Biblical texts) was more than likely born in the months of March or April. Halloween is another example of a pagan holiday being turned into a Christian one as in All Hallows Eve - Halloween. It makes sense if you are trying to convert people especially the fence sitters.

Also known as Ishtar, Istar or Istare. The early Church decided to wipe out the pagan belief system by incorporating traditional pagan holidays and putting a Christian veneer on them. Yuletide (Jesus more than likely based on the prevailing weather conditions as indicated in the Biblical texts) was more than likely born in the months of March or April. Halloween is another example of a pagan holiday being turned into a Christian one as in All Hallows Eve - Halloween. It makes sense if you are trying to convert people especially the fence sitters.

There's a lot less heathen burning too.

Yeah, Jesus just happened to rise from the dead on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring equinox. It was originally "Eostrefest" for the pagan fertility god Eostre. Eggs and the hare we symbols of her, and she was sometimes depicted with hare's ears.

I didn't learn that in preschool though.

It makes me wonder what other truths we are not told about our history and traditions.

It makes me wonder what other truths we are not told about our history and traditions.

Take a close look at "Thanksgiving" some time.

Officially, the holiday we know as 'Thanksgiving'

actually came into existence in the year 1637. Governor Winthrop of the

Massachussetts Bay Colony proclaimed this first official day of Thanksgiving

and feasting to celebrate the return of the colony's men who had arrived

safely from what is now Mystic, Connecticut. They had gone there to

participate in the massacre of over 700 Pequot men, women and children,

and Mr. Winthrop decided to dedicate an official day of thanksgiving

complete with a feast to 'give thanks' for their great 'victory'

In all truth, Christmas certainly started off as a pagan date that was Chrisitanized.

But Easter started out as a Christian celebration (Resurrection Sunday) that has been paganized.

Christmas was not celebrated in the early church, which doesn't mean that it is wrong to do it now, just saying that early church didnt celebrate it.

Resurrection Sunday, though, was always considered the holiest of days for Christians........ at least til that &%$#* bunny started showing up.

For most peole, even Christians, Christmas is now the "most holy" or "most celebrated" of Christian days.

Not me, though. Bah Humbug. I'll stick with Easter.

and, to set the record straight concerning the declaration that this thread topic changed...... go back and look at the title of the thread. "for the Love of God"....

God was definitely mentioned (even called upon) in the thread title, so a religious discussion seems OK in this situation.