SportsWrath

Tom coughlin

Firstnten

Is Coughling a good coach  

21 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no

• yes
    • no

I blamed TC last year for not giving Eli, who was still virtually a rookie, enough playing time in the pre season. Otherwise I think he’s an okay coach, and certainly better than what we had before him.

When Eli becomes a little more consistent, the Giants will be consistent winners.

I only got through page 1 of this thread, so instead of replying, I'll just pop off a rant of my own.......

Does Coughlin suck? No. Reason: He's kept this team "afloat" since he got here. He didn't do anything spectacular, (unless you count him curing Tiki's fumble-itis), but he didn't do anything "detrimental", (unless you count the fines for being 'late' for an 'early' meeting show time -or- wearing white socks in a hotel), either.

The better question would be, "Is Coughlin a bad coach", and to that I would say a resounding yes. Reason(s):

1) He doesn't seem to inspire the players. I read quotes by players and they go a little something like this: "I'm ready to play, I want this team to win, and I'll do my part". Never have I seen a quote that goes like this: "Coach (Coughlin) is a great man, and WE will do whatever it takes to win the (insert weekly game here) game this week". One of his huge diatribes (rants) in his first year, was to restore "Giants Pride". I don't know about the rest of you, but at that, he's FAILED miserably.

2) His handling of the media/players whining to the media: Sucks...immensely. I don't need to go into much detail here, but, forgiving all the BS that has gone on recently, his tirades on the sidelines alone, over laughable calls shows he is NO diplomat by any means.

3) He expects greatness, but exhibits none himself. If anyone can list one example of what he has done that is GREAT, please correct me.

4) Simply put, the dude just doesn't have "it". That "thing" that gets a wildcard team to the 'Bowl. That "thing" that gets a linebacker to get caught on "NFL Films" footage saying "go out there and play like crazed dawgs", thet "THING" it takes to be a winner in the NFL.

5) He hasn't really done a single thing to reduce the "cancer" of penalties and injuries. It is a well known fact....for years...we get hit with numerous injuries that KILL us every single year. Our strength and conditioning coach(es) absolutely, positively, without question, suck Monkey balls, and laugh all the way to the bank. I know.....I know....no one can predict a concussion, or a broken fibula or anything else thet could be a catostrophic injury. But PLEASE....GIMME A BREAK...torn Pec's, blown out ligaments.....turf-toe????......and we pay these guys while they nurse themselves back together, maybe the following season??? If I throw out my back at work, I'm good for getting paid 2, maybe 3 days, (with a doctor's note), and after that, I either go back to work, or I DON'T GET PAID. PERIOD. As far as the penalties go...ok, I suck at stats....yeah, we got rid of the human "false start...#77" machine, but from the few pre-season games I was able to catch out here, hmmmmm, we still have a penalty issue, and have had during Couughlin's tenure. I have a teenage daughter, and I constantly tell her the same shit over, and over and over again, and I understand Coughlin can only preach so much and isn't on the field. But maybe, just maybe, if he got some respect, players WOULD ACTUALLY DO WHAT HE HE PREACHES. (And before I get any crap about that comparison, my daughter is 15 with a $20 a week allowance, NOT a grown-up collecting millions to sit on her ass).

Is he a serviceable Head Coach? Yeah, sure, I guess so. He's no loser, sitting at his desk sucking on Bon-Bon's watching "The Price Is Right" during the week. However, he hasn't exactly raised this team to the level he promised when we pooh-pooh'd Romeo Crennell and the likes to hire him. Yeah, sure, he's gotten the Gmen into the post-season the last 2 years, and yeah, the Gmen aren't as bad as Arizona or 'Da Raiders...but they sure as Hell aren't the dominant force in the NFC, (nevermind the NFC Least), we were led to believe they wouid be under Coughlin.

That said, GO F'ING GMEN!!!

I only got through page 1 of this thread, so instead of replying, I'll just pop off a rant of my own.......

Does Coughlin suck? No. Reason: He's kept this team "afloat" since he got here. He didn't do anything spectacular, (unless you count him curing Tiki's fumble-itis), but he didn't do anything "detrimental", (unless you count the fines for being 'late' for an 'early' meeting show time -or- wearing white socks in a hotel), either.

The better question would be, "Is Coughlin a bad coach", and to that I would say a resounding yes. Reason(s):

1) He doesn't seem to inspire the players. I read quotes by players and they go a little something like this: "I'm ready to play, I want this team to win, and I'll do my part". Never have I seen a quote that goes like this: "Coach (Coughlin) is a great man, and WE will do whatever it takes to win the (insert weekly game here) game this week". One of his huge diatribes (rants) in his first year, was to restore "Giants Pride". I don't know about the rest of you, but at that, he's FAILED miserably.

Ive never heard any player say I want to win cause we have a great coach. If the millions of dollars these players make doesnt inspire them to play well, nothing will. Its take some time to clean house. Championship teams are not built over night, to say he has already failed is foolish at best. Cower took 20 years to put together a winner, people like you would have thrown him out the door by his 3rd year.

2) His handling of the media/players whining to the media: Sucks...immensely. I don't need to go into much detail here, but, forgiving all the BS that has gone on recently, his tirades on the sidelines alone, over laughable calls shows he is NO diplomat by any means.

You dont need to go into much detail, cause you dont have much detail to bring. WTF are you talking about? When has he EVER "whinned to the media"???? I havent seen many coaches that dont have tirades on the sidelines. Remember Bill Parcells?

3) He expects greatness, but exhibits none himself. If anyone can list one example of what he has done that is GREAT, please correct me.
Bring a expantion team to the championship game for one. How'd that be???

4) Simply put, the dude just doesn't have "it". That "thing" that gets a wildcard team to the 'Bowl. That "thing" that gets a linebacker to get caught on "NFL Films" footage saying "go out there and play like crazed dawgs", thet "THING" it takes to be a winner in the NFL.

Says you. To me he is the type of old school coach that once he has his team together, that bought into his system, they are hard to beat.

5) He hasn't really done a single thing to reduce the "cancer" of penalties and injuries. It is a well known fact....for years...we get hit with numerous injuries that KILL us every single year. Our strength and conditioning coach(es) absolutely, positively, without question, suck Monkey balls, and laugh all the way to the bank. I know.....I know....no one can predict a concussion, or a broken fibula or anything else thet could be a catostrophic injury. But PLEASE....GIMME A BREAK...torn Pec's, blown out ligaments.....turf-toe????......and we pay these guys while they nurse themselves back together, maybe the following season??? If I throw out my back at work, I'm good for getting paid 2, maybe 3 days, (with a doctor's note), and after that, I either go back to work, or I DON'T GET PAID. PERIOD. As far as the penalties go...ok, I suck at stats....yeah, we got rid of the human "false start...#77" machine, but from the few pre-season games I was able to catch out here, hmmmmm, we still have a penalty issue, and have had during Couughlin's tenure. I have a teenage daughter, and I constantly tell her the same shit over, and over and over again, and I understand Coughlin can only preach so much and isn't on the field. But maybe, just maybe, if he got some respect, players WOULD ACTUALLY DO WHAT HE HE PREACHES. (And before I get any crap about that comparison, my daughter is 15 with a $20 a week allowance, NOT a grown-up collecting millions to sit on her ass).

Coughlin doesnt hire conditioning coaches, our GM does. Nor is it his fault that players get paid while they are injured. You have just given us a huge rant that is 90% our GM's fault and has very little to do with Coughlin. It seems to me Coughlin has made good strides in earning his players respect, and with new leaders like Eli and Pierce having Coughlins back, I think the players have bought into it. NTM, both our starting defense and offense looked unstoppable in the last preseason games, I didnt see many problems at all.

Is he a serviceable Head Coach? Yeah, sure, I guess so. He's no loser, sitting at his desk sucking on Bon-Bon's watching "The Price Is Right" during the week. However, he hasn't exactly raised this team to the level he promised when we pooh-pooh'd Romeo Crennell and the likes to hire him. Yeah, sure, he's gotten the Gmen into the post-season the last 2 years, and yeah, the Gmen aren't as bad as Arizona or 'Da Raiders...but they sure as Hell aren't the dominant force in the NFC, (nevermind the NFC Least), we were led to believe they wouid be under Coughlin.

We'll just see about that.

Palmer and killdrive have coached together in the regular season many times.

I'm talking about for the team I care about. Different circumstances, and considering the improvement Eli has exhibited in preseason, perhaps different results.

You dont need to go into much detail, cause you dont have much detail to bring. WTF are you talking about? When has he EVER "whinned to the media"???? I havent seen many coaches that dont have tirades on the sidelines. Remember Bill Parcells?

JayD, I think Bronx is talking about how he's handled the whining that the players were doing to the media, not whining he's done himself.

As far as injuries, the head coach does hire the conditioning coach, not the GM. That being said, we've been rocked with injuries since Fassel's last year in 2003. So, it's not all on the conditioning coach, since this has been going on for two coaches now.

The conditioning coach should be castrated for shit like torn pecs in the weight room, and non-contact injuries, don't get me wrong. But on the other hand, look at the guys who were getting injured as well: Hilliard(2003), Strahan, Emmons, Demps, Arrington, Pettigout (I'm talking about his back, not his leg, which was unavoidable), Toomer, Madison, Short, Brommell, Hand, Barrett Green (he had a rep in Detroit for always being out, remember?)--do you see some patterns here? All these guys are over 30, or were acquired after an injury. Or both.

Hell, even with our draft picks we tried to get "steals" picking up guys that were injured in their senior years(Webster, Tuck, Jamaar Taylor--Sinorice Moss was known as "injury-prone" and we traded up to get him).

You have to wonder if the worst thing that ever happened to Accorsi was the 2000 super bowl and getting those old hoary offensive linemen to have one last good year. He was trying to catch lightening in a bottle from that point on.

jacksonville wasn't an expansion team anymore when he brought them to the championship game.

how'd he do his last 4 years in jacksonville?

6-10

6-10

7-9

14-2

They went to the championship game in 99 and its safe to say they were not an expansion team anymore, but they also went to the Champ game in 96 when they were in their 2nd year.

His record went down, but may of the players that make up the current Jags roster were drafted when he was in charge. I think one think that is overrated with him is his coaching ability, but I do think an aspect of him that is underrated is that he has an eye for talent. I do not think its any coincidence that since he has been on board we have had some better, more solid drafts.

I have been saying this for a very long time. TC sucks ass. He is just a plain idiot and has no presence of mind to make smart adjustments or using the right players according to their strengths. His discpline shit - he can take it, roll it up and shove it up his ass. He is just a moron without even a semblance of a football brain.

• 1 month later...
The suckage contiunes....

6-10 going out like bitches.....

someone end my pain.....please

Look a little retarded now. Spags has won me over, still not happy with killdrive and TC although he seems to have soften a bit. W's seem to kill all issues. Again if NY goes one and done in the playoffs this year does TC stay?

Look a little retarded now. Spags has won me over, still not happy with killdrive and TC although he seems to have soften a bit. W's seem to kill all issues. Again if NY goes one and done in the playoffs this year does TC stay?

If we finish like we've been playing lately and end with a 12-4 record, i think even one and done, coughlin stays, to at least finish the contract out.

If we start slip[ping up and sputter down the stretch, even a playoff win might not save him.

I'm sticking by my "good but not great" post from a few months back.

Too married to his coaches... but I've gotta say, Gilbride has been much better than I thought he'd be. Spagnuolo is a pretty good D-coordinator.

Now, if Gilbride were to start fucking up now... say, like Huffnagle did around this time last season... he'd probably stick around till oh... the last game of the season. And that'd just be too fucking long. Coughlin is a taskmaster who has what it takes to win the big one, but he has to have better assistants...

have we all forgotten what usually happens after the first 8 games of the season with this guy? i sincerely hope that this year is a different story, and while he's driven me nuts a couple of times this season i can't say he's done a bad job, but i have to reserve judgment until i see how the 2nd half plays out

have we all forgotten what usually happens after the first 8 games of the season with this guy? i sincerely hope that this year is a different story, and while he's driven me nuts a couple of times this season i can't say he's done a bad job, but i have to reserve judgment until i see how the 2nd half plays out

I can't believe I agree with you regarding Coughlin. Be sure to dodge the frogs falling from the sky. :P

But I am willing to get a little optimistic. The bye is coming late enough where it is actually going to help rest our players, and we're already past the away game at Dallas (which seems like a killing field for our players lately). If we get past Philly relatively healthy, I think we'll be competitive the rest of the way.

I stand by what I said in Sept. Coughlin is a great coach. Top 5 in the league easy, and getting better.

Jay, please by all means, tell me the 5 guys you think are the best coaches in this league, I really want to see that list.

DOH!

Jay, please by all means, tell me the 5 guys you think are the best coaches in this league, I really want to see that list.

Well IMHO Obviously you got BB, next Dungy, probably Andy Reid for third, (even though his team is sucking right now), then Coughlin, the 5th spot could go in a few different directions

• 1 month later...
Well IMHO Obviously you got BB, next Dungy, probably Andy Reid for third, (even though his team is sucking right now), then Coughlin, the 5th spot could go in a few different directions

Seriously does anyone take issue with Killdrive calling Mannings number 52 times in wind swept giants stadium.

I just can;t believe this.....