SportsWrath

Petey with 3000 K's.

RandolphScott

WHat a shot in the arm this guy could be!

Hit 91 on the gun, ball had great movement and as usual threw strikes.

If this man is healthy, we are in better shape down the stretch run.

Congrats Pedro!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I saw that. Sadly I don't have cable in my dorm and will miss this whole

series. I don't expect him to throw 91 either, 87,88 and 89 with his awesome control

will do wonders. Maybe Mike Mussina should learn from Pedro.

WHat a shot in the arm this guy could be!

Hit 91 on the gun, ball had great movement and as usual threw strikes.

If this man is healthy, we are in better shape down the stretch run.

Congrats Pedro!!!!!!!!!!

I've been saying that for weeks. If nothing else, he will loosen things up and they'll start having fun again. Pedro started this whole revival, and he is the personality this team needs. He also is a guy who will only make others around him want to perform on his level. Maine, Pelfrey, Glavine, and even the bullpen have been very solid since the return of Pedro. If he can pitch like he did in 2005, and early 2006, he will only galvanize the team even more. I cannot wait until he pitches at Shea. Is it a coincidence that the team is 4-0, on the verge of their first 5 game winning streak all season since he's been in their presence? Maybe. But there is no doubt in my mind that the team has taken it up a notch since he's been back.

Just wait until he starts throwing that nasty curveball of his. :ph34r:

I know he had a good start today, but if Willie had half a brain he would get Pedro to come out of the pen instead. Could you picture bringing Pedro in to pitch 7 and 8.... Especially after grandpa Cubanno comes back, how many starters do we need come playoff time?

Think, Maine, Perez, DuQue and Glavine as your starters for the playoffs, Pedro to hand it to Wags.... Even throw Pelfrey in as a 5th starter worst case.....

I know he had a good start today, but if Willie had half a brain he would get Pedro to come out of the pen instead. Could you picture bringing Pedro in to pitch 7 and 8.... Especially after grandpa Cubanno comes back, how many starters do we need come playoff time?

Think, Maine, Perez, DuQue and Glavine as your starters for the playoffs, Pedro to hand it to Wags.... Even throw Pelfrey in as a 5th starter worst case.....

Something tells me Maine is going to the 'pen come October. The Duke, Glavine, and Pedro will probably start because they are the vets and Randolph will always choose the veteran guy over the younger guy. I think Perez is too shaky for the bullpen and will also start.

I think we have to wait and see how Pedro performs before we can debate whether he should start in the playoffs or not. If he gets stronger and looks more like the Pedro he was before going down, he has to start in the playoffs. And although Glavine is hard to watch at times, I have no problem giving him the ball in a big game, and we all know Hernandez's post season track record.

I think however this shakes out, we are in much better shape than going into last year's playoffs. Whoever moves to the bullpen only makes it better, and our starters are better than at this point last year.

Anyone else here think Pelfrey should make the postseason roster over Sele?

Absolutely.

I don't think there is a chance in hell that Sele makes the roster.

Will the Mets go with 11, or 12?

Pedro

Glavine

Maine

Perez

Feliciano

The Duke

Heilman

Schoeneweis

Sosa

Wagner

Pelfrey ?

????

Am I missing someone?

Anyone else here think Pelfrey should make the postseason roster over Sele?

He has to have more than one good start and shine in relief after El Duque comes back. They wouldn't just take the rookie over the vet, that's Willy-Style.

Something tells me Maine is going to the 'pen come October. The Duke, Glavine, and Pedro will probably start because they are the vets and Randolph will always choose the veteran guy over the younger guy. I think Perez is too shaky for the bullpen and will also start.

I think we have to wait and see how Pedro performs before we can debate whether he should start in the playoffs or not. If he gets stronger and looks more like the Pedro he was before going down, he has to start in the playoffs. And although Glavine is hard to watch at times, I have no problem giving him the ball in a big game, and we all know Hernandez's post season track record.

I think however this shakes out, we are in much better shape than going into last year's playoffs. Whoever moves to the bullpen only makes it better, and our starters are better than at this point last year.

There is no way Maine goes into the Pen, he might be the best pitcher on the staff. He had a great post-season last year, last thing you would want to do is discourage your best young pitcher by sending him to the pen.

that's not a bad idea. willie doesn't seem to trust sele to pitch more than 1 inning per appearance. if the guy's going to be your long man he has to be able to pitch more than that. putting pelfrey in this role allows him to gain some valuable postseason experience while not putting too much pressure on him on big spots when the game is tied or close

fixed

Pelfrey's stock has gone way down over the past 2 seasons. Im not saying he wont pan out, he's still very young and has good stuff. Im just saying he's not a guy Id put on my post season roster and expect him to be productive. He's had one good outing in the bigs this year. I stand by what I said, pick your poison with him or sele as theyve both been ineffective.

There is no way Maine goes into the Pen, he might be the best pitcher on the staff. He had a great post-season last year, last thing you would want to do is discourage your best young pitcher by sending him to the pen.

I agree with you, but I just think Randolph will stick with the veterans. If it were between Maine and Perez, I think Maine would be better in the bullpen due to Perez's penchant for being erratic.

Pelfrey's stock has gone way down over the past 2 seasons. Im not saying he wont pan out, he's still very young and has good stuff. Im just saying he's not a guy Id put on my post season roster and expect him to be productive. He's had one good outing in the bigs this year. I stand by what I said, pick your poison with him or sele as theyve both been ineffective.

Actually, Pelfrey has had productive outings, and has gotten hurt by one bad inning in most of them, usually not the early innings. Maybe he'd do well pitching an inning at a time. I'd still rather have him on the roster tha Sele or Mota.

Pelfrey is your prototypical young kid who has dominated at every level and now need to learn how to pitch. I cannot tell you how many pitchers I played with in college that would get in trouble because they would get all fucked up with guys on base because before that level they had never had to pitch with guys on base. Pelfrey I believe is going through those similar problems, albeit at a much higher level. Guy has too good of stuff to not be successful when he learns how to pitch. As has been the case with Phil Hughes, Pelfreys problems on the big league level have usually involved one bad inning and more specifically not pitching well with men on base. He also need to harness 1 more pitch. His fastball tops out in the mid 90's(hit 97 a few times Saturday) and his slider is good in the upper 80's. He cpuld use a changeup and has been working on one(in fact Defeliece said in AAA he was ordered that he had to throw X amount/game despite the situation or how he was doing with it).

Pelfrey is a work in progress and I expect nothing more of him in 2007 after the end of the 162 game season.

Actually, Pelfrey has had productive outings, and has gotten hurt by one bad inning in most of them, usually not the early innings. Maybe he'd do well pitching an inning at a time. I'd still rather have him on the roster tha Sele or Mota.

Mota is just a complete mess...he's lucky he's Hispanic

As soon as El Duque gets back, we gotta give Pelfrey some outings in the pen.

We saw on Saturday that he does have the ability to pitch out of trouble (huge part of being a reliever) and the ability to get a double play with his sinker (probably would be the only reliever in the pen that has the ability to do that).

It's really hard to resist not putting him on the roster, hopefully pelfrey backs up his performances.