SportsWrath

Giants V.S. Dallas 9-9-07

Lughead

Keep a close eye on rookie kicker Nick Folk, who is being given a chance to prove himself with Martin Gramatica (hamstring) being placed on injured reserve Saturday.

So this means the Cowboys will come into the game with a kicker that has next to no experiance.Tynes has not been impresive at all.

The Cowboy Secondary is just as bad as ours.

the lines I will give a push

And I will give the Running games on both sides of the ball a push also

This leaves the game up to two people. This game comes down to Manning V.S. Romo

The fact that Romo's qb coach Wade Wilson got suspened(4 games) for buying HGH this week would tend to incline Eli as coming out victorius in the 2007 Season opener. MY reasoning is that Romo will not have any one to look to for insight during the game and leading up to the game. I mean who is going to look at "Polaroids" with him old Deputy DROOPY coach Wade Phillips?

my prediction: Giants 27 Dallas 17

So this means the Cowboys will come into the game with a kicker that has next to no experiance.Tynes has not been impresive at all.

This leaves the game up to two people. This game comes down to Manning V.S. Romo

The fact that Romo's qb coach Wade Wilson got suspened(4 games) for buying HGH this week would tend to incline Eli as coming out victorius in the 2007 Season opener. MY reasoning is that Romo will not have any one to look to for insight during the game and leading up to the game. I mean who is going to look at "Polaroids" with him old Deputy DROOPY coach Wade Phillips?

:LMAO: You are so wrong!!! The Giants will win 28-17...

Giants 24

Cowboys-13

E Manning-19/26 275 yds 2 TD's

B Jacobs-22 carries 101 yds 1 TD

J Shockey-7 rec. 84 yds 1TD

Osi- 2 sacks

The D holds the Cowboys to just 84 yds rushing and sacks Romo 4 times

You heard it here first. :TU:

Giants 24

Cowboys-13

E Manning-19/26 275 yds 2 TD's

B Jacobs-22 carries 101 yds 1 TD

J Shockey-7 rec. 84 yds 1TD

Osi- 2 sacks

The D holds the Cowboys to just 84 yds rushing and sacks Romo 4 times

You heard it here first. :TU:

All that and the Cowboys still manage 13 points?

All that and the Cowboys still manage 13 points?

Well I was thinking, we get beat a tad in the secondary, when Romo starts throwin garbage yds to try and comeback late in the game. I figure he gets one TD and one more FG, after the initial FG they get on thier first drive. (Im having a vision, Im tellin ya, I can see thisd happening.) :o

Well I was thinking, we get beat a tad in the secondary, when Romo starts throwin garbage yds to try and comeback late in the game. I figure he gets one TD and one more FG, after the initial FG they get on thier first drive. (Im having a vision, Im tellin ya, I can see thisd happening.) :o

You've got the Shining. ;)

The Cowboy Secondary is just as bad as ours. ....If not worse

Backed In A Corner

Cowboys Count On Newman But Getting Reeves Ready

LINK

IRVING, Texas - It's a rollercoaster ride here at Valley Ranch, and it seems like the entire cornerback position is on it.

One day the position looks a certain way, and it's rather different the next.

Here we are, less than a week before Sunday's season opener against the Giants, and the Cowboys appear to have a big problem at the cornerback position.

Or do they?

The question is hard to answer considering the unknown status of Terence Newman, the team's starting left cornerback the last four seasons who not only missed the last three preseason games with a partial tear in his plantar fascia, but Monday's practice as well. Newman joined his teammates on the field about 20 minutes into practice wearing workout clothes, though he did have on cleats. But he only stood near the defensive backs during the portion of practice open to the media.

While Newman wasn't in the locker room Monday and didn't talk to reporters, his head coach did. And Phillips' tune hasn't changed from last week, when he sounded unsure if he'd have his best cornerback on the field.

"He's walking better, feeling better (but) we hadn't put him on the field yet," Phillips said of Newman. "So we're like all the guys that are not practicing - we're working like they are not going to be there but they are working mentally like they are. That's our approach."

But the simple fact that Newman is not 100 percent ready makes it hard to understand just why the Cowboys parted ways with veteran cornerback Aaron Glenn over the weekend as part of the 21 roster cuts that brought them to the 53-player limit.

That leaves the Cowboys counting on fourth-year veteran Jacques Reeves to start in Newman's place if he can't go.

And any thoughts of bringing back Glenn were lost Monday when the 13-year veteran signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"It's not to knock Aaron Glenn, because he's got value to a team certainly, (but) we felt the guys we kept are value to our team," Phillips said of Glenn. "We gained a lot from him being here certainly. Because (his teammates) were around him in the meeting. They saw how a real pro acts and how a real pro gets ready to play.

"But all of those decisions are tough. It's a situation with players certainly and coaches. Everybody's going to get cut at some time."

Phillips said Glenn simply didn't meet the overall criteria of making the squad. The coach listed several areas, such as the ability to start now, the chances of being a future starter and the player's special teams value. Glenn, who turned 35 in July, didn't play special teams and obviously wasn't a long-term answer at cornerback. And when it came down to it, the Cowboys just felt more comfortable with Reeves as the third corner.

Phillips said Reeves, a former seventh-round draft pick in 2004, will start in place of Newman if he can't go Sunday. Even if Newman plays, Reeves will be the next cornerback in line on the nickel and dime packages.

But Phillips is still hoping for a starting duo that features Newman on the left side and Anthony Henry on the right. Behind them will be Reeves and Jones, along with newly-acquired Evan Oglesby, a two-year vet who was claimed off waivers from the Ravens after getting released at final cuts on Saturday.

Phillips said he expects Oglesby to contribute early on special teams while he learns the new defensive system.

Oglesby played in all 16 games for the Ravens last year, mostly as the nickel corner. He had 16 tackles and two pass breakups.

"It's not easy to come to another team and try to step right in," said Oglesby, who originally signed with the Bills in 2005 as an undrafted rookie free agent, but joined the Ravens later that season. "But I'm looking forward to come in here and helping in anyway I can. Hopefully I can come in and make this team better somehow."

And Oglesby should know a thing or two about good defenses, having been a part of Baltimore's stingy unit that ranked No. 1 in the league in both yards and points allowed. Oglesby said he learned a lot just by being a part of a defense that featured two of the best defensive players in the NFL in linebacker Ray Lewis and safety Ed Reed.

"Hopefully, I can bring what I learned from Ray and Ed and bring it here to the Cowboys," Oglesby said. "It looks like we've got a good group of guys here, good leaders. So I'm just hoping I can get in here and pick it up quickly."

But certainly the Cowboys won't be relying solely on Oglesby here in the early going. That means Jones, who has played mostly on special teams his first three years, will likely be asked to contribute in the dime package, too.

Jones was considered a surprise to make the final roster, considering he didn't play much on defense in the last two preseason games. And when he did get extensive time in the second game against Denver, he allowed a 90-yard touchdown pass in the second half.

But while Glenn and recently-released Joey Thomas might have made a few more plays in the preseason, Jones makes up for it on special teams. And assuming Newman and Henry are healthy, and Reeves is ready to contribute in the extra packages, Jones' main role will consist of covering punts and kickoffs, something he's excelled at the last few years.

"Nate and Jacques are really, really good at that," punter Mat McBriar said of his two key cover guys. "They are two of our best guys. You can see that on the film."

But apparently, Reeves has been effective on more than just special teams.

Earlier in the preseason, Phillips said he noticed Reeves taking a more conservative approach at the position, making sure receivers didn't get past him to allow a big play. But as a result, he was giving too much cushion and giving up too many catches underneath.

"He's been a solid player in that he's been safe - you're not going to make a big play on him but he wasn't making the big play," Phillips said of Reeves. "I thought when we challenged him to start doing that I thought he did better and better. Of course he's got great speed and we know that. But he's learning to utilize that speed."

Reeves, a usually quiet person in the locker room, was virtually no different on Monday, despite a rare hoard of reporters at his locker.

"This is a chance to show what I can do," said Reeves, who has only started one game in his career and none since his rookie year in 2004. "Everyone wants to be a starter. Everybody wants to get on the field and I have a good opportunity this week."

While Phillips has commended Reeves for his improved play, he also is a realist. He knows the Cowboys will lose some versatility, not to mention overall talent, if Newman can't play and the team is forced to start Reeves.

In that scenario, Phillips said the Cowboys would have to adjust their defensive strategy, which usually calls for Newman to play in man coverage, often against the team's top receiver. But if Reeves has to play instead, Phillips said they will make changes.

"If (a cornerback) can't play man to man, we won't," Phillips said. "If his strength isn't man-to-man, then we'll help him.

"(Jacques) can play both. But he's not Terence Newman or he'd be starting. We'll try to utilize what he can. If we don't have a guy (like that), we'll play more zone or man with some help. Or sometimes we'll say, 'Hey, you've got to cover him on this play.' But it really just depends on the player."

And the Cowboys can only hope when it's time to play Sunday night, they'll have their best player available at the cornerback position.

football-cowboys.jpg

Injuries lead to questions for Cowboys07:27 PM CDT on Monday, September 3, 2007 By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Injuries happen during an NFL season. The Cowboys are being forced to deal with their injuries earlier than they would like.

Monday was the first full day of preparation for Sunday's season opener against the New York Giants, but many questions remain regarding the team's health.

Cornerback Terence Newman is beginning his third week of being unable to practice because of a plantar fascia tear in his right heel. Linebackers Greg Ellis (Achilles) and Kevin Burnett (ankle) went through resistance training work as the team practiced.

Wide receiver Terry Glenn (knee) did individual drills but did not take part in any 11-on-11 drills Monday. Coach Wade Phillips is hoping Glenn will be able to up his workload as the week goes on.

Will any of them play vs. the Giants? Phillips isn't sure.

"Usually you go through it during the season at some time, so you have to be prepared," Phillips said. "You have to have guys step up, so to speak. That's why you have guys on the team you feel can play if the starter is gone."

Replacing Newman

Without Newman, Jacques Reeves would make the second start of his career, and Nate Jones would take over Newman's role in the nickel defense. Phillips is unsure Newman would play even a limited role.

"I think Newman has to be healthy to play," Phillips said. "If he's almost healthy or almost OK, it's hard for a corner. I think either he's going to be ready to go or he's not."

Aaron Glenn started three preseason games in Newman's absence, but he was among Saturday's final cuts, pushing Reeves into the starting lineup. In 44 games, Reeves has yet to intercept a pass, but he has been among their better special teams players.

"You hate to see guys like that go, but at the same time you have to understand it's a business and you have to be ready at all times," Reeves said. "I'm ready to go."

Replacing Ellis

Rookie Anthony Spencer said he will start against the Giants, even if Ellis makes dramatic improvement. Spencer said he began preparing himself for the moment as the preseason wore on and Ellis remained on the sideline.

The Cowboys attempted to accelerate Spencer's learning by playing him more in the preseason. Spencer knows the Giants will test him, especially in the running game with 264-pound running back Brandon Jacobs, who is taking over for Tiki Barber.

"Not that much pressure," Spencer said. "The only pressure I feel is the pressure I put on myself to perform because I know I can be a good player."

Replacing Burnett

Bradie James would take over Burnett's role in the substitute defensive packages in passing situations.

With Ellis and Burnett ailing, the Cowboys have only six healthy linebackers, and one – new pickup Justin Rogers – practiced with the team for the first time Monday. Bobby Carpenter will have to be ready to play outside and inside linebacker.

"We're just trying to figure out where they're trying to go with it as far as the depth," James said. "We're trying to figure out everything where all we got to do is just play. ... I don't think it changes us schematically. It's just they're talking about us getting a break. I don't see who will come in and who will give me a break, so we'll see how it goes."

Burnett is also an asset on special teams. Rogers, who had two sacks in the preseason for New England, could see a larger-than-expected role on special teams against New York.

Replacing Glenn

Patrick Crayton will continue to start if Terry Glenn can't go, and Sam Hurd will be the No. 3 receiver. Crayton had seven catches for 97 yards in three preseason games and has excellent chemistry with quarterback Tony Romo.

But Glenn brings an extra dimension to the offense with his speed. Admittedly not 100 percent, he's unsure if he can play.

"It depends on what less than 100 percent feels like," Glenn said.

wow Dallass is banged up pretty good .

You base the win on the quarterback coach being suspended? That's quite a stretch.

I hate the Cowboys more than the Giants but the Cowboys win this one for a few reasons.

1. They have a better team this year. Better overall defense and a balanced offense.

2. It's in Dallas

My prediction Dallas 21, Giants 14

I don't think I dislike Dallas, I think I dislike Dallas fans. It's always a front running dousche like BadEgg or many of my Cboys fans who talk the most junk. I just hope the B. Jake brings them for an endless ride.

Let's see them knuckle up after the poundling sets in: time after time.

I love it, I love it, and I love it.

Starting with Dallas is a gift, we test ourselves against the team all the pundits call the best in the NFC East and if we do what I think we will, then it'll be all the sweeter.

Watching Dallas fans cry and make excuses is like watching a bratty kid cry after dropping their ice cream cone: it's just funny.

I hope Romo seems to be having a good game on the first couple of series and then gets a dose of our RDE and see if he doesn't start looking around a bit.

I don't think I dislike Dallas, I think I dislike Dallas fans. It's always a front running dousche like BadEgg or many of my Cboys fans who talk the most junk. I just hope the B. Jake brings them for an endless ride.

Let's see them knuckle up after the poundling sets in: time after time.

I love it, I love it, and I love it.

Starting with Dallas is a gift, we test ourselves against the team all the pundits call the best in the NFC East and if we do what I think we will, then it'll be all the sweeter.

Watching Dallas fans cry and make excuses is like watching a bratty kid cry after dropping their ice cream cone: it's just funny.

I hope Romo seems to be having a good game on the first couple of series and then gets a dose of our RDE and see if he doesn't start looking around a bit.

I love you people. You quickly point out how bad Dallas is, how they haven't won anything in 10 years, and how they will be a "gift" for the Giants on week one, but you also call me a "frontrunner." Hmmmm...there isn't enough time in the day...

As to Romo looking around a bit, he certainly was the last time these two teams met. He was watching Jason Witten beat another one of the Giants so-called acquitions and he was watching the winning field goal sail through the uprights....

But anyway, you know my motto for this week:

No Kicker!

No CB!

NO PROBLEM! :LMAO:

However, I thank God the Eagles aren't in town...

I love you people. You quickly point out how bad Dallas is, how they haven't won anything in 10 years, and how they will be a "gift" for the Giants on week one, but you also call me a "frontrunner." Hmmmm...there isn't enough time in the day...

As to Romo looking around a bit, he certainly was the last time these two teams met. He was watching Jason Witten beat another one of the Giants so-called acquitions and he was watching the winning field goal sail through the uprights....

No Kicker!

No CB!

These types of posts just prove your scared, theyre insane. You listed our problems, and they mirror yours, no Kicker no CB. And you only mentioned beating a severly injured team by 3 points, no mention of the massacre in Big D. :rolleyes:

No Kicker!

No CB!

Tell us again

1. Who is kicking for Dallass? Nick Folk ????? unproven rookie Kicker

2. Who in your secondary besides Williams is either hurt, not playing or a rookie?

3. same goes for your LB'rs you have rookies and hurt veterans maybe 3 vet's that can go

4. No problem? Son, you have a lot of Problems.

oh and here is a problem to start off with. You were told 2 times never to post in my post or reply to a thread I was already in. You will need to start your own threads. So you have been warned the 3rd time and this time it will move your warning level up 2 notches. Don't be surprised if you can't post here for a few days before Sunday. I know you wont be here after Sunday any way. I will let you post Sunday during the game all you want . It will be funny to see some one come up with new excuses on a loss.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=D...437AED1BAF269CA

Terry Glenn Out For Season; Needs Microfracture Surgery

RVING, Texas - Three days before their regular-season opener, the Cowboys learned wide receiver Terry Glenn's problematic right knee will force him to miss the entire 2007 season, team owner and general manager Jerry Jones said late Thursday afternoon.

Jones said Glenn's knee injury is similar to that of former Cowboys center Al Johnson, who missed his entire rookie season in 2003 following microfracture surgery.

"You hate to see this with one of your top players and we need all of those we can beyond the field," Jones said. ""It's a real blow for Terry and for us."

Glenn missed all of preseason after having arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 1 to remove a tiny cyst from the back of his right kneecap. The 33-year-old receiver returned to practice Wednesday but sat out Thursday because of what Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips described as swelling in his knee.

Without Glenn, the Cowboys must rely on Terrell Owens, fourth-year veteran Patrick Crayton and second-year veterans Sam Hurd and Miles Austin. It's also likely they will add another wide receiver to replace Glenn, who will likely be placed on injured reserve soon.Terry Glenn Out For Season; Needs Microfracture Surgery

ouch, gonna hurt.

You base the win on the quarterback coach being suspended? That's quite a stretch.

I hate the Cowboys more than the Giants but the Cowboys win this one for a few reasons.

1. They have a better team this year. Better overall defense and a balanced offense.

2. It's in Dallas

My prediction Dallas 21, Giants 14

ok now look

their secondary has injury's and rookies.

they have some injured Lb'ers with rookie replacements

a new rookie kicker

People who did not watch the Giants pre season have not noticed Eli this year and how he seems different, has more pocket presence and a whole lot better accuracy and completions.

he has a ton of weapons at WR and a sleeper actually 2 sleepers at RB

Oh BTW have fun at the bottom again this year

This is all about the QBs and the OLine now baby, we should see a lot of yardage through the air. This is Eli's game hopefully he can deliver. And if BJ gets out to open field, consider it a TD. But the same goes for our defense, we need to step it up. If we get some good pass rush, our CBs should be able to keep cover.