SportsWrath

PFT on Tiki

xxi-xxv

POSTED 6:42 p.m. EDT, August 22, 2007

TIKI IS A "FRAUD"

As the catfight between former Giants running back Tiki Barber and current Giants quarterback Eli Manning continues, one league insider shared with us some strong opinions regarding Barber's decision to take aim at Manning.

"He never gave a rat's ass about the Giants when he played for them or now," the source said. "Any Giant fan that cannot figure this out now and any Giant fan that gives him a penny of their money or time is an idiot."

The source summed it up by calling Barber a "fraud."

We didn't hear Tiki's weekly Sirius NFL Radio show on Tuesday night, but we heard a quick sound bite in which Barber said something like, "Manning's job isn't to talk, it's to play football."

And then we nearly wrecked the official PFT Ford Fiesta.

Of all people, Tiki Barber is the last person who should be saying that a football player's job isn't to talk. Talk is something of which Tiki did plenty while he was playing. Whether he was criticizing Michael Strahan's contract demands or slamming the coaching staff, Tiki did as much talking as any NFL player, ever.

And Tiki will keep talking, because talking is what he now does. Talking is good for business. People will watch him on NBC and listen to him on Sirius to see what outrageous thing he talks about next.

But there's a difference between commanding an audience because he is an engaging, entertaining analyst and attracting attention because he is a spectacle. The reality is that folks will tune in because Tiki is at the opposite spectrum of the jockocracy; he's willing to call out former players and teammates solely because doing so attracts attention to him.

That routine can only work for so long. The guys with whom he played will eventually become former NFL players, and then there really won't be any reason for anyone to listen to him.

link

Seriously, I wish Coughlin cut his ungrateful ass as soon as he came here. Not many would even remember who he was by now. Let alone having to look at his Giant horse teeth, and glistening milk dud head on TV

We didn't hear Tiki's weekly Sirius NFL Radio show on Tuesday night, but we heard a quick sound bite in which Barber said something like, "Manning's job isn't to talk, it's to play football."

Uhhhhh, I thought that was his job? :huh:

Maybe he's lighting a fire under his ass? Maybe he knows Eli better than most and knows what it takes to get him motivated? Ive said it once and Ill say it again...who better to asses the Giants than Tiki Barber?

And he didnt open his mouth alot about other players, he spoke up about Strahans contract bullshit, like he's doing now. And Im sure we all agreed with him, I did. Its Shockey who criticizes the coaching staff periodically, and no ones bitchin about him

Maybe he's lighting a fire under his ass? Maybe he knows Eli better than most and knows what it takes to get him motivated? Ive said it once and Ill say it again...who better to asses the Giants than Tiki Barber?

And he didnt open his mouth alot about other players, he spoke up about Strahans contract bullshit, like he's doing now. And Im sure we all agreed with him, I did. Its Shockey who criticizes the coaching staff periodically, and no ones bitchin about him

we criticize shockey a lot, i do.

Periodically? The only incident that comes to mind was after that Hawks game.

And do you really think Tikis motivations is to "light a fire" under this teams ass?

As far as agreeing with him....how am I to know what Eli sounded like in a pregame lockerroom moment?

And his judgement/analysis of the Giants may have some bearing but from his conduct it seems tainted. Especially because of his comment he made recently about his retirement being influenced by the team not listening to his oh so insightful input.

Fact is while he was a tremendous athlete these past couple seasons there are some indisputable facts when it comes to Mr. Barber. He was Mr. Fumbleitis until Coughlin came. His best years tallied up most of his statistics after Coughlin came on board. Eli was his QB during his best years. He has a very VERY low chance at making the HOF. And his ego knows no bounds.

he's a whore, plain and simple. he'll do and say anything for money. i wonder how much he'll charge me to take a dump on his face. all the pennies in my ashtray? the difference between large and supersize fries perhaps?

I will try to break this down for you as simple and easy as possible.

1)No one said Mannings job was to talk and not play football.

2)the author was merely pointing out the irony of the fact that this statement was made by a guy whom for years has not been able to keep his mouth shut about such topics as his teammates contract, coaching decisions and his own retirment.

he's a whore, plain and simple. he'll do and say anything for money. i wonder how much he'll charge me to take a dump on his face. all the pennies in my ashtray? the difference between large and supersize fries perhaps?

LMAO!!!!! :LMAO:

Have to admit, that was funny as hell.

I will try to break this down for you as simple and easy as possible.

1)No one said Mannings job was to talk and not play football.

2)the author was merely pointing out the irony of the fact that this statement was made by a guy whom for years has not been able to keep his mouth shut about such topics as his teammates contract, coaching decisions and his own retirment.

I got you guys, I respect your opinions. I just dont see the big deal in commenting on those things. MAybe not another mans contract, but the other things. And someone had to tell Starhan he was bein a prick about his situation. Listen I love the Giants, and dont want anyone badmouthing them. But the only times I saw Tiki comment on these things he never said anything in the form you guys are puttin it. He made it clear there were "issues", but was grateful to TC and was happy in doing what he had been planning to do. Broadcast. Its a path he planned for himself for some time.

I strongly disagree. Eli plays with heart and gives 100% everytime. What QB doesn't have bad games? In another thread there was a comparison between Eli and Peyton in their first 3 years in the NFL and Eli was slighly ahead.

Tiki is a self-promoting ungrateful bobble-head..

It is what it is.

I got you guys, I respect your opinions. I just dont see the big deal in commenting on those things. MAybe not another mans contract, but the other things. And someone had to tell Starhan he was bein a prick about his situation. Listen I love the Giants, and dont want anyone badmouthing them. But the only times I saw Tiki comment on these things he never said anything in the form you guys are puttin it. He made it clear there were "issues", but was grateful to TC and was happy in doing what he had been planning to do. Broadcast. Its a path he planned for himself for some time.

Yes in private. That's how real men handle their business.

Yes in private. That's how real men handle their business.

They did handle it in private. The MEDIA blew it up. ANd you gotta remember, how private was it to begin with, evryone in the sports world knew of Mikes contract dispute.

I strongly disagree. Eli plays with heart and gives 100% everytime. What QB doesn't have bad games? In another thread there was a comparison between Eli and Peyton in their first 3 years in the NFL and Eli was slighly ahead.

Tiki is a self-promoting ungrateful bobble-head..

It is what it is.

Key word being MAYBE. My point is, none of us know EXACTLY whats being said but we are believing the media, a source that we degrade for situations such as this. I agree Eli plays with heart, but do you still want him to play with heart and have games like the Jags game or Titans game or Playoff game vs. Carolina?? He has some kind of learning or adapting to do. My point was maybe Tiki was trying to do something that would help Eli. I dont know, but then again, niether do any of us know the REAL truth. We just want to jump down our alltime leading rushers throat with minimal facts. And yes minimal, most of these articles aint coming from someone who knows every word said.

Tiki violated many codes as a player. You never call out the coaches in public, its just not right. Simms never did it and there were plenty of times he hated the gameplan, ditto for Carson, LT, Oj, Bavaro etc. In fact Carl Banks even said he would not call out the coaches in the media in 91 and 92 when Handley was blatantly coaching with no clue and the media begged it, you just do not do it.

You never talk about a teammates money. LT ALWAYS had money issues, held out in 1990 until 3 days before game #1, almost went to the USFL in 84. None of his teammates ever had a word to say about LT, his contract or his off field shenanigans. DOnot forget this was a team with a veteran in Harry Carson, who probably could have and gotten away with it, and he never said a word. A teammates business is his business. Apparently not to Tiki. Lets not forget, when Tiki called out Strahan, he was not a pro bowel, not one of the leagues best backs, he was a decent back who fumbled a lot, calling out an all Pro DE.

You never make yourself the story when it does not pertain to play on the field. Well, from week 5 on last year when Tiki(not his agent, an overhead conversation, or whatever other lie Tiki wants you to believe)let the world know he was leaving it became all about him and what he was going to do and where he was going to go.

Thanks for the production on the field Tiki, you were never a champion, never the best player at your position and clearly a self serving individual, motivated more by your own personal agenda than the agenda of the New York Giants. Good luck in all you do, now fuck off.

Tiki violated many codes as a player. You never call out the coaches in public, its just not right. Simms never did it and there were plenty of times he hated the gameplan, ditto for Carson, LT, Oj, Bavaro etc. In fact Carl Banks even said he would not call out the coaches in the media in 91 and 92 when Handley was blatantly coaching with no clue and the media begged it, you just do not do it.

You never talk about a teammates money. LT ALWAYS had money issues, held out in 1990 until 3 days before game #1, almost went to the USFL in 84. None of his teammates ever had a word to say about LT, his contract or his off field shenanigans. DOnot forget this was a team with a veteran in Harry Carson, who probably could have and gotten away with it, and he never said a word. A teammates business is his business. Apparently not to Tiki. Lets not forget, when Tiki called out Strahan, he was not a pro bowel, not one of the leagues best backs, he was a decent back who fumbled a lot, calling out an all Pro DE.

You never make yourself the story when it does not pertain to play on the field. Well, from week 5 on last year when Tiki(not his agent, an overhead conversation, or whatever other lie Tiki wants you to believe)let the world know he was leaving it became all about him and what he was going to do and where he was going to go.

Thanks for the production on the field Tiki, you were never a champion, never the best player at your position and clearly a self serving individual, motivated more by your own personal agenda than the agenda of the New York Giants. Good luck in all you do, now fuck off.

I dont believe he talked about Mikes money, but he did call him on the situation. A leader knows what has to be done to have the team together and ready for opening day. A leader also knows that what Mike was doing is not the way to get prepared. When things got ridiculous, Tiki stepped in. I have no problem with that.

And as far as calling out the coaches in public, these players and coaches go about thier business. We and the media bring it out to the public.

Honestly, I think most are pissed at him leaving us so soon. Were makin this more than what it is. But enough stickin up for Tiki, because one thing you say is right, he aint a Giant anymore. So have a nice life Tiki, I love you for what you did as a Giant, but you choose to leave. My concern is the NY FOOTBALL GIANTS.

I dont believe he talked about Mikes money, but he did call him on the situation. A leader knows what has to be done to have the team together and ready for opening day. A leader also knows that what Mike was doing is not the way to get prepared. When things got ridiculous, Tiki stepped in. I have no problem with that.

And as far as calling out the coaches in public, these players and coaches go about thier business. We and the media bring it out to the public.

Honestly, I think most are pissed at him leaving us so soon. Were makin this more than what it is. But enough stickin up for Tiki, because one thing you say is right, he aint a Giant anymore. So have a nice life Tiki, I love you for what you did as a Giant, but you choose to leave. My concern is the NY FOOTBALL GIANTS.

Tiki did call out Mike about his money, summer of 2002, look it up. In fact some in the press speculated at the time that Strahan would lay Tiki out for this.

Like I said, no one, including future hall of famers called out LT, about money, you just do not do that. Tiki did and he was wrong in doing so.

Never a champion, always a mouth. Thats how I remember him now.

tiki's quote:

"I don't know if he realizes how much $17 million is," Barber told the Post. "That is absolutely ridiculous, to turn that down. He's already the highest-paid defensive player in the league. He's already making more than most quarterbacks. I find it hard to believe this whole deal hinged on if he was going to get $17 or $10 million this year. I find that hard to believe. That's the value of my entire contact, that's why I have no sympathy. You're telling me that's not good enough for two years? Give me a break."

case closed...............

Well, you got your opinions, I got mine. By your standards, you should cease and desist from ever commenting on the Giants again. I mean, if Tiki, a former player cant speak his mind on them, then It would be safe to say a man who never played a down shouldnt. :rolleyes:

Look, I agreed a mans money is his own business. But he wasnt telling him how to pay his bills, he was steppin in when Mike was being a schmuck.

If Tiki's goal was to light a fire under Eli, why wouldn't he have done it 3 years ago? I think we an all agree that when Tiki was here, he was considered a leader. Wouldn't a leader take it upon themselves to light a fire under the other players immediately, as opposed to waiting 3 years?

It just doesn't make any sense for Tiki to let his mouth run rampant other than to get attention. If he wanted to comment based upon past experiences, that's fine...but to use the word 'comical' or 'laughable' is erring too far on the side of degrading or demoralizing. Criticizing is okay while trashing is not. And then to go on a rant on his radio show with his brother was just immature and uncalled for.