SportsWrath

Gagne

LorfTVP

In the 17 days since the trade deadline, Eric Gagne has blown two saves and cost us three wins.

What are you doing to us?

Do you know how disheartening it is to come back from a 4-1 deficit in the bottom of the 8th to take a 1 run lead and have someone come in and give up three runs in no time? All he had going for him was his 93 mph fastball and a changeup that didn't work.

VG, we tried to help you out...you're not mathematically out yet.

But this is what you do to us?

I don't know how long it will take me to get over this...just because the high before the implosion sent me tumbling down twice as far.

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Do you know how disheartening it is to come back from a 4-1 deficit in the bottom of the 8th to take a 1 run lead and have someone come in and give up three runs in no time?

the yanks sure do. ask the orioles

not for me. im not a yankee fan

Oops, I just assumed it was a Yankee fan to make the point without looking at who wrote it.

Ye of the Trevor Hoffman guaranteed save.

Sorry for comparing you to a... :baby: Yankee fan.

No more tipping by Gagne

By Rob Bradford

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - Updated: 10:50 AM EST

NEW YORK - It took hours and hours of sitting in front of a television screen, but Eric Gagne might have solved a pretty important riddle.

What Gagne and a few other Red Sox discovered while reviewing video during the recent homestand was the 31-year-old pitcher was tipping his pitches.

“We’ve reviewed film very extensively and we felt like there were some things he might be doing which would indicate the pitch he was throwing,” said Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell. “To alleviate that we made some subtle adjustments.”

What the Red Sox reliever was doing was holding his glove down by his waist before his delivery and then grabbing for the ball in a different manner, depending on the pitch. For a fastball he was coming in more from the side, for a breaking ball from the top.

To fix the problem Gagne started with his glove higher, eliminating the tell by grabbing every pitch in the same manner.

Gagne said he changed his approach starting in an Aug. 19 appearance against the Angels at Fenway Park. Since that game Gagne hasn’t allowed a run after giving up at least one score in five of his previous seven games.

“It’s a secret,” he said. “It’s an adjustment I needed to make, let’s put it that way.”

According to Gagne, the discovery was made by a “group” of Red Sox, among which he would only identify Farrell and manager Terry Francona. He also said he might have conferred with good friend Alex Cora [stats], who is widely regarded as one of the best to catching when pitchers are tipping pitches.

In the end, the mystery might have just been part of the puzzle when it came to deciphering what was hindering Gagne. But the recent results seem more than just a coincidence.

“Probably the biggest thing is there is a little more peace of mind within him,” said Farrell, who believed it was likely a problem Gagne has had all season.

“He gains in confidence, because, let’s face it, anytime a player changes organizations there is a natural transition, and to do that when he doesn’t have the desired results compounds that.

“But I think the fact he has done well in his last three outings has put him a much better place mentally.”