SportsWrath

Strahan Releases Statement

jranieli

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/gia...0,5146616.story

To the New York Giants' Fans:

As many of you know, I am contemplating one of the biggest decisions of my football career, whether I should retire or continue playing. Like all athletes, I knew this day would come when I would have to stand before that proverbial fork in the road. But I must admit that it's not until you're actually staring at the two diverging paths do you really grasp how impactful and painful this decision can be. I was hoping to make this personal decision quietly and without much hoopla, but given the recent torrent of erroneous media reports and totally inaccurate assumptions, I feel that I have to come forward and publicly set the record straight with those for whom I have toiled the last fourteen years--you fans.

This off season has been one of the best in my professional career. I have worked extremely hard to make sure that I'm in shape and ready to tackle the rigors of another physical season. I am proud to say that at my body feels years younger and ready to compete at the highest level. I love training and preparation, and this off season has made it clear to me that this is one aspect of the game that I will miss tremendously when I decide to one day unstrap the helmet for the last time. I went into this off season with every intention of entering a 15th season with the Giants, the only team I've ever played for during my career. But I am human, and despite the images of me grimacing and tackling opposing quarterbacks and running backs, I have to face my mortality like anyone else. When an athlete like myself who does what I do for a living starts having doubts, then it's time to take a step back and seriously consider my future. Anyone who plays in the NFL with doubts or second guessing is not only putting themselves at risk, but their teammates also. I will never do that.

What 's been most disappointing has been all of this nonsense that I'm holding out for more money. The truth is that football has been very good to me and I have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by advisors who have ensured that my family and I will live comfortably for the rest of my life.You deserve to know what's really going on. My agent met with the Giants earlier in the year and discussed many things including my contract.Money is not the reason that I have not reported to training camp and it will not be a factor for my return. This has already been communicated to the Giants and while the reports may indicate a"hard line" taken by the team regarding money , it is not necessary, as this issue had been decided well before July

Despite what some might believe there are those of us who make decisions that have nothing to do with money. Many athletes ask themselves daily if they are emotionally and psychologically at the level where they can compete at the highest level for twenty-four weeks. For them also it isn't about the money, rather a serious athlete asking serious questions about his future. All that I ask, after fourteen seasons,is that you afford me the patience so that I might arrive at my decision on my own terms.

As GM Jerry Reese has said, the Giants are not going to hold a spot for me. I completely understand his stance as football is a business and he must do what is in the best interest of the team. I know that I am only one player. I want to express my thanks to the owners and coaches for their extremely kind words about my career as a Giant to date. I have been proud to wear the Giant uniform thoughout my professional career.You have my word that I will try to make the correct decision as quickly as possible. If I decide to play, I hope that you will continue to cheer me on like you have for all of these years. If I decide to hang up the cleats, then I will bid you all a tremendous thank you for the privilege to play a game that has blessed me in so many ways and created memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. I humbly thank you for your understanding and being the best fans in the world.

Michael Strahan

I hate the media. I knew thise whole thing was being blown out of proportion - along with the weak minded individuals who believe everything they hear and run with the he-said she-said.

Strahan is my favorite player of all time (along with LT), partly because even after 15 years of a wear me down position, you can tell he still loves the game and cherishes it like a rookie.

Fuck you media.

It's a very gracious letter, I'm just not sure I believe him.

And I still think he's a dick for not deciding this BEFORE training camp started. Now if he does come back we're gonna have to hear about this shit all year. If he wanted to retire, just retire... if not, shut the hell up until the season is over.

We don't need "Tiki Barber -- the Sequel" around here. If I was Reese and Coughlin, I'd tell the media that none of the coaches or players are going to answer questions about players who aren't in camp.

Damage control.

I was hoping to make this personal decision quietly and without much hoopla, but given the recent torrent of erroneous media reports and totally inaccurate assumptions, I feel that I have to come forward and publicly set the record straight with those for whom I have toiled the last fourteen years--you fans.

But if you can buy into that statement while already knowing the guy never bothered seriously contacting the GM or the Coach until three days into training camp, I suppose anything is believable. Just think how much less craziness would have occurred if he had called either Reese or Coughlin even 5 days before camp started, if he really meant what is written here.

Agnone contacting other teams about trade possibilities and potential contract terms was just to give Strahan the warm fuzzies, I suppose.

Well that tells us a whole lot of nothing. In or out Mike, whats it gonna be? In fact, to hell with that, just retire already. We dont need guys on the field that are not sure they even want to be there. And BTW when a player says its not about the money, you can be sure, its about the money. :rolleyes: I'll tip a 40 to you bro, thanks for the memories, but its time to move on.

Well that tells us a whole lot of nothing. In or out Mike, whats it gonna be? In fact, to hell with that, just retire already. We dont need guys on the field that are not sure they even want to be there. And BTW when a player says its not about the money, you can be sure, its about the money. :rolleyes:I'll tip a 40 to you bro, thanks for the memories, but its time to move on.

Couldn't agree more. Get on with your life Mike. Good luck Mike.

Thanks Mike for all the memories. Now don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I have been a Strahan fan for all of his career, but this is such self serving tripe. He needs to shyt or get off the pot. Sorry Mike, but youu can't have it both ways. IMO

It's a very gracious letter, I'm just not sure I believe him.

And I still think he's a dick for not deciding this BEFORE training camp started. Now if he does come back we're gonna have to hear about this shit all year. If he wanted to retire, just retire... if not, shut the hell up until the season is over.

We don't need "Tiki Barber -- the Sequel" around here. If I was Reese and Coughlin, I'd tell the media that none of the coaches or players are going to answer questions about players who aren't in camp.

Oh, we wont have one. Tiki at least announced his plans up front. "At the end of the year, Im retiring to pursue lifelong desires." Then played a whole season and we knew it was coming.

Oh, we wont have one. Tiki at least announced his plans up front. "At the end of the year, Im retiring to pursue lifelong desires." Then played a whole season and we knew it was coming.

You don't announce your retirement mid way threw a season . If you feel that way then , then your playing only half heartedly. Your mind is on other things it is not in the game %100.

Michael "It's not about the MONEY" Strahan does not make scence with his action's. working like a mad man to get back to top physical shape . Going to the TGA's and the optional work outs and being "shopped" around? the "shopped around" part is the part that should stick out to every one. Now he either did not get an offer he liked or every one who "LOOKED" at him said hes on the downward slope and would not touch him for more than $4 million.

If I was Reese I would be talking to the Bears for an even up trade Strahan for Briggs then slide KIWI back to DE. all of our problems solved as long as the Monies would work out.

If I was Reese I would be talking to the Bears for an even up trade Strahan for Briggs then slide KIWI back to DE. all of our problems solved as long as the Monies would work out.

No way would Chicago do that... a rising superstar for an aging superstar who's injury prone and might only play one more year?

We'd have to cough up a pick too... but I like how you're thinking.

You don't announce your retirement mid way threw a season . If you feel that way then , then your playing only half heartedly. Your mind is on other things it is not in the game %100.

Michael "It's not about the MONEY" Strahan does not make scence with his action's. working like a mad man to get back to top physical shape . Going to the TGA's and the optional work outs and being "shopped" around? the "shopped around" part is the part that should stick out to every one. Now he either did not get an offer he liked or every one who "LOOKED" at him said hes on the downward slope and would not touch him for more than $4 million.

Yeah, I agree with Sepiroth, I like the thought pattern, but wouldnt happen.

My point is it wasnt a surprise from Tiki. Anyway it happens, losing a superstar is hard, but Mike's situation is just ridiculous and selfish. Thats why its easier for me to take Tiki's announcement. It was classier for the org. We just dont like the fact that he left and it impacted us so much, but the mans got his plans. Mike says he's not intending to hurt the org. but he is the way he's doing it.

Let's be fair here about Tiki, despite the fact he announced his retirement when he did and his actions after the fact, the truth is that you would have been hard pressed to find 3 guys on the team that played harder than Tiki during the season.

Bears aren't making that trade, they just gave Briggs another year and will explore signing him again next season.

Let's be fair here about Tiki, despite the fact he announced his retirement when he did and his actions after the fact, the truth is that you would have been hard pressed to find 3 guys on the team that played harder than Tiki during the season.

Bears aren't making that trade, they just gave Briggs another year and will explore signing him again next season.

True, very true. Mike would probably do the same too, but his whole approach to the situation is just fucked up. And seems kinda fishy too.