SportsWrath

Mets on the verge of acquiring Chad Cordero

Blue Jeans

yeah, its up to the nats at this point, we proposed humber and the prospect.

im not sure what to think of this. i really, really want to win this year but humber is our top pitching guy.

I think it could go either way really.

Cordero might have hit his cieling 2 years ago, we might be able to improve him, who knows. The fact is you're getting one of the better closers in the NL (who is just on a bad team) for a guy who can't find his command in the minor leagues that is about the same age. Given, that Humber's potential is still very high and he pitches in the hitting friendly PCL... i'd say we draw even whatever the outcome.

03:05 PM - Buzz: D'Backs have Talent for Cordero

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

…the buzz from arizona suggests that the D’Backs are readying the promotion of OF Justin Upton, in the event they ship either OF Carlos Gonzalez, 1B Conor Jackson or OF Carlos Quentin to the Nationals for RHP Chad Cordero…

…well, if those are the names being discussed between arizona and d.c., i am not sure how the Mets are still in the room…

latest metsblog update.

i just don't think its gonna happen.

i can see us getting a guy like that D Rays closer (reyes i think?) at the last minute if we cant get cordero.

03:05 PM - Buzz: D'Backs have Talent for Cordero

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

…the buzz from arizona suggests that the D’Backs are readying the promotion of OF Justin Upton, in the event they ship either OF Carlos Gonzalez, 1B Conor Jackson or OF Carlos Quentin to the Nationals for RHP Chad Cordero…

…well, if those are the names being discussed between arizona and d.c., i am not sure how the Mets are still in the room…

latest metsblog update.

i just don't think its gonna happen.

i can see us getting a guy like that D Rays closer (reyes i think?) at the last minute if we cant get cordero.

I'm sure if they don't wind up with Cordero they will still get someone... maybe since they're in talks with the Nats it's John Rauch for lesser prospects.

It's very simple now, with more revenue sharing the teams that are going to let young pitchers walk away are few and far between now. As we saw a few years ago when Santana was locked up to a deal instead of yearly arbitration where the Twins may have traded him when he was eligible for huge pay days, teams will not give up young arms, especially ones like Humber.

With that said the only way IMO in todays game to build a starting staff is through developing young pitchers, You can see when guys like Jeff Suppan, Gil Meche etc are the bug ticket free agents teams are just holding onto their aces, no matter where they play. Humber has a load of upside and along with Pelfrey, Maine and Perez can form a nice bunch of young arms. That IMO is where it all begins and ends and I for one am glad Humber is still here.