SportsWrath

Strahan 50/50

NightFire

Probably just to old and wants to miss training camp but this guy needs to shit or get off the pot.

Giants begin fining Strahan for missing days at camp

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The chances that seven-time Pro Bowler Michael Strahan will play for the New York Giants this season are a lot better than Osi Umenyiora moving from right end to left end to replace him.

After chatting a couple of times with Strahan over the past few days, Umenyiora said Monday that his 35-year-old friend's holdout wasn't a joke and that he was seriously considering retirement after 14 NFL season.

"I know what he is telling me, and it's still 50-50 whether he is going to come back," Umenyiora said Monday.

With the holdout now in its fourth day, the Giants on Monday informed Strahan through his agent, Tony Agnone, that he would be fined $14,288 for every day of camp he misses retroactive to Friday, the day the team reported to the University at Albany.

Agnone did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

The team confirmed that if Strahan does retire, the fines will not be assessed.

Umenyiora refused to discuss the reasons Strahan gave for contemplating retirement, but he advised him to return for another season.

"Of course, I am going to tell him to come back," said Umenyiora, who went to the Pro Bowl with Strahan in 2005. "I am going to tell him to come back every day because as a person, as a human being, I like being around the guy. He is a good friend of mine."

If Strahan doesn't come back, the Giants will have to consider other options. One might be signing veteran Simeon Rice, whose 121 career sacks rank second to Strahan (132½) among active players.

Rice was released by Tampa Bay last week after failing a physical because of a shoulder problem.

The Giants plan to give Rice a physical on Wednesday. He would then go through a workout to decide whether the team will sign him.

Umenyiora said the proposed move didn't seem to resonate with the rest of the Giants.

"I mean we're not talking about Julius Peppers," Umenyiora said. "Simeon Rice, he is an outstanding pass rusher, but that's what he is."

Rice has been criticized for being soft against the run. Signing him would also create the problem of where to play him. Rice can't play the left end because that is where the majority of the opposition's running plays go.

Umenyiora was adamant he was not going to move to the left side so Rice could play the right end.

"I'm a right end," Umenyiora said. "I have been successful at right end. I don't feel the need to move to a different position, that's kind of crazy if you ask me. Ask me to move to left defensive end because Simeon Rice is here? It's ridiculous."

When told that Strahan moved to left end early in his career, Umenyiora got defensive.

"Michael was never successful as a right defensive end," he said. "He wasn't if you look at his play. When they moved him to left defensive end, that's when he blew up because he is a natural left defensive end. I don't think you can make that argument with me."

Strahan also balked at moving to the left side.

"I am not going to move to left defensive end if they sign Simeon Rice," Umenyiora insisted. "That's what I'm telling you. If the team asks me, 'We need you to move to left defensive end because we need you at that position,' I will. But I will not move to left defensive end because Simeon Rice is coming in."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I really don't want Rice, but right now I really don't want Strahan either.

Agreed. I would have no problem playing Tuck at LE, and having Willie Joe spell him when need be.

You know, this whole team needs an enema. The legacy of douchenozzle Earnie Accorsi continues. i can't wait till the whole team gets turned over. I'm reeeeeeeeeeeally gonna have a hard time rooting for this team this year, especially if Strahan plays. I hate Shockey, TC is stuck in the past, Plaxico is one of the dumbest fucks on the planet, & Osi is a drama queen bitch in the mold of Strahan. I hope Jacobs can go apeshit now that the asshole has moved on, Eli gets a brain & some nads, & that our young secondary shows some improvement. That happens, I'll be content. Otherwise, I'll be going through a 1/2 a week.

Agreed. I would have no problem playing Tuck at LE, and having Willie Joe spell him when need be.

You know, this whole team needs an enema. The legacy of douchenozzle Earnie Accorsi continues. i can't wait till the whole team gets turned over. I'm reeeeeeeeeeeally gonna have a hard time rooting for this team this year, especially if Strahan plays. I hate Shockey, TC is stuck in the past, Plaxico is one of the dumbest fucks on the planet, & Osi is a drama queen bitch in the mold of Strahan. I hope Jacobs can go apeshit now that the asshole has moved on, Eli gets a brain & some nads, & that our young secondary shows some improvement. That happens, I'll be content. Otherwise, I'll be going through a 1/2 a week.

I'll be going through a 1/2 a week What exactly does that mean? :confused:

...and your usage of 'enema' and 'Douche Nozzle' is clever....I love it! :LMAO:

Echo...you really should have your own column in the Post.

C. Wagon

bravo.

F'k that gapped tooth ass hat.

What is the Giants record over the past two seasons without Strahan again?

2-6. He played every game in 2005. And we still lost SIX games!!!! :furious: (no offense, but this is how ridiculous this argument sounds to me.)

Without Arrington: 4-6

without Tuck: 2-6

Strahan has been an important member of our defense for many years, there's no denying that. But it is possible to win without him, just as it was quite possible to lose with him, as the Giants have reminded us far too often.

When Strahan went down, we lost both our starting defensive ends, and one of our primary backups. You could say that Umenyiora was back in games late in the season, but he wasn't 100% after the initial injury. Plus at least one of our starting LBs was done. There was a little more going on last season than just Strahan being injured.

By this reasoning, since Strahan started all 16 games, there is no reason whatsoever that we went 4-12 in 2003. And we all know that's not so.

2-6. He played every game in 2005. And we still lost SIX games!!!! :furious: (no offense, but this is how ridiculous this argument sounds to me.)

Without Arrington: 4-6

without Tuck: 2-6

Strahan has been an important member of our defense for many years, there's no denying that. But it is possible to win without him, just as it was quite possible to lose with him, as the Giants have reminded us far too often.

When Strahan went down, we lost both our starting defensive ends, and one of our primary backups. You could say that Umenyiora was back in games late in the season, but he wasn't 100% after the initial injury. Plus at least one of our starting LBs was done. There was a little more going on last season than just Strahan being injured.

By this reasoning, since Strahan started all 16 games, there is no reason whatsoever that we went 4-12 in 2003. And we all know that's not so.

Geesh.....you took the words right out of my mouth....and said them better than I could.

Anyway, I really believe it's time to let Strahan go. We have a lot of very hungry young men waiting in line to give it their all. There was a time when he had the fire in his belly, but that was before his womanizing, highly publicized divorce, liposuction and other plastic surgery, etc. It's time to build on a new foundation with hungry kids and let the last generation's stars retire to their mansions.