SportsWrath

Camp News

Lughead

MANNING GETS A LEG UP

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

article_print.gifarticle_email.gifarticle_digg.gifarticle_reddit.gifarticle_permalink.gifarticle_storybottom.gifgiantnotes.gif July 30, 2007 -- ALBANY - Leadership takes on many forms and doesn’t always have to be trumpeted. Eli Manning is never going to lead with his mouth, but he did make a statement yesterday with his legs.

First, he attracted hoots and howls from teammates after scrambling on a busted play, and later Manning could be seen running a penalty lap after practice. Manning wasn’t required to do so, but he said he had “a mental lapse for one little play” early and out of almost everyone’s sight, but he used the honor system to punish himself. “I didn’t want to take any heat,” Manning said, “and I can use the conditioning also.”

Will Demps, demoted to a backup safety spot as James Butler works with the first team, said the competition for a starting job has just begun. “My track record speaks for myself,” Demps said. ... Mathias Kiwanuka, making the transition to strong side LB, was beaten badly on long completions to Jeremy Shockey and Darcy Johnson.

... New LT David Diehl had his share of struggles in the morning with DE Osi Umenyiora. ... Rookie TE Kevin Boss made a nifty grab of a Jared Lorenzen pass, reaching out and over SS Michael Stone.

It was a rough start of training camp for RB Brandon Jacobs before he even got here. First, he had to leave behind his wife, Kim, and five-month old son, Brayden.

“You ever see a grown man cry?” Jacobs asked. “You seen me cry, I’m not going to lie. I don’t think I can leave my boy again. It was tough for me.”

And then, Jacobs hopped in his car and proceeded to get pulled over for speeding on Route 17.

“He didn’t give me a ticket,” Jacobs said. “The guy was nice. They run your plates, it’s not like they don’t know who you are. He was like, ‘Oh my God, you better run the ball this year.’ I said ‘That’s what you pulled me over for?’

Practice Notes: 7-30-07 452291.jpg

By Paul Schwartz

Giants Insider

Posted Jul 30, 2007

Paul Schwartz gives some observations from practice and some great quotes

ALBANY - As expected, Mathias Kiwanuka early in training camp has struggled in his new strong side linebacker position trying to keep up with Jeremy Shockey in pass coverage. Kiwanuka, though, did not anticipate getting burned by guard Rich Seubert.

But he did.

"That's a tough one to swallow, but it happens, apparently,'' Kiwanuka said sheepishly. "It will not happen again.''

The Giants yesterday did not practice but Kiwanuka was still smarting about what transpired in Sunday's afternoon session. Lining up for a field goal, holder Jeff Feagles put on a "Fire'' call, which simulates a bad snap. Feagles took the ball, rolled to his right and fired a perfect pass to Seubert, who once played some tight end at Western Illinois and lined up there quite frequently last season. The burly Seubert went airborne (slightly) to make the catch, with Kiwanuka trailing the play and unable to prevent the reception.

"I think I got both feet off the ground,'' Seubert deadpanned. "I watched it on tape and it looks like my left foot might be off the ground. I don't think [Kiwanuka] saw the ball. I guess I can jump a little higher as he can. They should honor me as a receiver now. Jeremy or me, there's no difference.'' :LMAO:

It was Seubert who in the playoffs following the 2002 season alertly went out in a pass pattern before he was dragged down in the end zone on a botched field goal in the closing seconds of a 39-38 playoff loss in San Francisco. That memory surfaced after Seubert made his play in practice.

"That's what Jeremy said to me, 'You couldn't catch that five years ago?' '' Seubert said. "I said 'I got pulled down.' ''

The Giants hierarchy was saddened to hear of the death of Bill Walsh, the Hall of Fame former 49ers coach, who died yesterday at the age of 75 after a battle with leukemia. "Bill Walsh was one of the greatest coaches in the history of this game,'' said John Mara, the Giants president and chief executive officer. "I am not sure that anyone has had as much influence on the way the game has been played over the past 25 years as Bill Walsh. His record on the field was matched only by his brilliance in developing other successful NFL and college coaches.'' Former Giants coach Bill Parcells, who engaged in many memorable battles with Walsh and the 49ers, said "I was saddened by the news of the passing of Bill Walsh. He was one of our fiercest rivals, and we had some very memorable games in the '80s. He was an innovative guy who brought his philosophy to the NFL, and he integrated the right people into it and allowed it to flourish. He is one of the very few people who really helped make the NFL what it is today, and his coaching tree is evidence of that.'' ... The Giants annual training camp autograph session takes place today at the conclusion of the evening practice

Practice Notes: 7-30-07 452291.jpg

By Paul Schwartz

Giants Insider

Posted Jul 30, 2007

Paul Schwartz gives some observations from practice and some great quotes

ALBANY - As expected, Mathias Kiwanuka early in training camp has struggled in his new strong side linebacker position trying to keep up with Jeremy Shockey in pass coverage. Kiwanuka, though, did not anticipate getting burned by guard Rich Seubert.

But he did.

"That's a tough one to swallow, but it happens, apparently,'' Kiwanuka said sheepishly. "It will not happen again.''

The Giants yesterday did not practice but Kiwanuka was still smarting about what transpired in Sunday's afternoon session. Lining up for a field goal, holder Jeff Feagles put on a "Fire'' call, which simulates a bad snap. Feagles took the ball, rolled to his right and fired a perfect pass to Seubert, who once played some tight end at Western Illinois and lined up there quite frequently last season. The burly Seubert went airborne (slightly) to make the catch, with Kiwanuka trailing the play and unable to prevent the reception.

"I think I got both feet off the ground,'' Seubert deadpanned. "I watched it on tape and it looks like my left foot might be off the ground. I don't think [Kiwanuka] saw the ball. I guess I can jump a little higher as he can. They should honor me as a receiver now. Jeremy or me, there's no difference.'' :LMAO:

It was Seubert who in the playoffs following the 2002 season alertly went out in a pass pattern before he was dragged down in the end zone on a botched field goal in the closing seconds of a 39-38 playoff loss in San Francisco. That memory surfaced after Seubert made his play in practice.

"That's what Jeremy said to me, 'You couldn't catch that five years ago?' '' Seubert said. "I said 'I got pulled down.' ''

The Giants hierarchy was saddened to hear of the death of Bill Walsh, the Hall of Fame former 49ers coach, who died yesterday at the age of 75 after a battle with leukemia. "Bill Walsh was one of the greatest coaches in the history of this game,'' said John Mara, the Giants president and chief executive officer. "I am not sure that anyone has had as much influence on the way the game has been played over the past 25 years as Bill Walsh. His record on the field was matched only by his brilliance in developing other successful NFL and college coaches.'' Former Giants coach Bill Parcells, who engaged in many memorable battles with Walsh and the 49ers, said "I was saddened by the news of the passing of Bill Walsh. He was one of our fiercest rivals, and we had some very memorable games in the '80s. He was an innovative guy who brought his philosophy to the NFL, and he integrated the right people into it and allowed it to flourish. He is one of the very few people who really helped make the NFL what it is today, and his coaching tree is evidence of that.'' ... The Giants annual training camp autograph session takes place today at the conclusion of the evening practice

Thanks man!

Yeah, thanks Lug. :TU:

My two biggest concerns going into this season were the secondary and Kiwi's transition. Should I be worried after reading that? :o

LOL Demps battling Butler......step it up a notch then, pretty boy!

Two great things to take from this article.

1. Kiwi is facing one of the leagues best pass catching TE's everyday in practice.

2. Diehl is facing one of the leagues best pass rushing DE's everyday in practice.

1. Kiwi is facing one of the leagues best pass catching TE's everyday in practice.

Props to Seubert and all, but best pass catching TE is a bit overboard.

(I kid, I kid.)

Props to Seubert and all, but best pass catching TE is a bit overboard.

(I kid, I kid.)

Well played. :clap:

No one should expect Kiwi to be a Pro Bowler this year. He's got great athleticism but it will take a few years for him to really gel at LB.

2. Diehl is facing one of the leagues best pass rushing DE's everyday in practice.

That would be Osi playing left end in camp but I read he Absolutely does not want Rice on the team and If he does make the team and Strahan retires/holds out . Osi does not want to move to left side. The reason he does not want Rice is that Rice is not a run stopper. Hell of a pass rusher but not a run stopper.