SportsWrath

Braves close on trade for Mark Teixeira

Braves close to acquiring Teixeira

The Atlanta Braves appear to be the winner for the right to acquire first baseman Mark Teixeira from the Texas Rangers.

A preliminary agreement has been reached between the teams for Atlanta to receive Teixeira and left-handed reliever Ron Mahay from Texas for catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, minor league shortstop Elvis Andrus and two minor league pitchers.

Baseball America rates Saltalamacchia and Andrus as the Braves' top two prospects in their organization.

The Fort-Worth Star Telegram, citing a Rangers source, is reporting that the two pitchers Texas will receive are 19-year-old right-hander Nestali Feliz and another pitcher to be determined.

The deal will be finalized once players' medical records are reviewed. Major League Baseball's deadline to trade players without securing waivers is Tuesday afternoon at 4 p.m. ET.

Teixeira, a 27-year-old switch-hitting slugger, has won two Gold Gloves at first base. He is batting .297 this season with 13 home runs and 49 RBIs. Since breaking into the majors with Texas in 2003, Teixeira has had seasons of 26, 38, 43 and 33 home runs.

Only Ralph Kiner, Albert Pujols and Eddie Mathews hit more than the 140 homers that Teixeira had in his first four major league seasons. He had at least 33 homers and 110 RBIs in each of the past three.

Teixeira missed 27 games because of a strained left quadriceps muscle sustained running out a ground ball. The Rangers were 16-11 when he was out of the lineup after he played in a team record 507 consecutive games. He will be eligible for salary arbitration after making $9 million this season.

Among the teams that reportedly negotiated with the Rangers for Teixeira were the Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels and Boston Red Sox.

The 2 minor league pitchers are Neftali Feliz and POSSIBLY Matt Harrison after the Rangers evaluate his shoulder.

I love the trade, we should have our answer at Catcher, I love Laird's ability but he needs to concentrate at hitting, I look for him to get a look at first base at some point in the future if he isn't traded.

All in all, a youg, major league ready catcher and 3 top prospects for a left handed reliever and a guy who didn't want to be here. See ya Mark, have fun in New York in 2009.

its a great trade for both teams. The Braves get a much needed middle of the line up slugger and the Rangers get some good prospects and the best young catcher in the game...Ianetta would be next in line...I wish the Yanks would trade for him

its a great trade for both teams. The Braves get a much needed middle of the line up slugger and the Rangers get some good prospects and the best young catcher in the game...Ianetta would be next in line...I wish the Yanks would trade for him

Rangers beat guy TR Sullivan is saying we're gonna play him primarily at 1st. Man I hope not.

Wow, the Braves threw in another pitcher, besides harrison.

Braves get: Teixeira and Ron Mayhay.

Rangers get: Salty, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Beau Jones.

The Rangers had concerns about Harrison's sore shoulder but the Braves agreed to add Jones, a Class A pitcher who is 5-0 with a 2.96 ERA this season, to complete the deal. Jones was the 41st overall pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft.

Oh, and apparently Hicks tried to resign Tex.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks said he met with agent Scott Boras on July 15 in Anaheim and offered Teixeira an eight-year, $140 million contract. The deal would have been worth $14 million in 2008 and $18 million over the next seven seasons.

:LMAO: Good luck resigning him Atlanta

i love the mackiawack deal, and ensberg's worth taking a flier on, maybe he'll provide some pop off the bench. ledesma was ok last season, im surprised he's been this bad so far this year, maybe we can make him into a long man.