SportsWrath

i dont get the brewers

Herc

they already have turnbow and cordero, so at best linebrink will be their 7th inning guy.

they gave up thatcher, who made his major league debut last night and pitched a perfect inning. he's a lefty reliever who gets righties and lefties out. he had a 2.05 era this season in double A. he can easily turn out to be better than linebrink had been this season--which automatically makes this a win for the pads even before we consider the other two pitching prospects.

they also gave up inman who came into this season as one of baseball america's top 100 prospects. he was their best prospect now that braun and gallardo are in the majors. last year he was 10-2 with a 1.71 era and like 30 more k's than innings pitched. the year before that he was 10-0 with a 2.00 era. he's only 20 years old

and this other dude garrison--who i dont know anything about--he's a lefty starter and also 20 years old. all this for a 7th inning guy who's done?

im thrilled. at first i wasn't when all we got was pitching prospects, cuz i wanted to trade linebrink for someone who could help us now, but it looks like thatcher will be the main lefty out of the pen and i was impressed with what i saw last night

Well, the Brewers were scuffling a bit so they wanted to send a message...plus, considering their shaky starting rotation, the ability to shorten games and have the 7-8-9 men set is vital. Linebrink's velocity hasn't been down so they hope that Mike Maddux can work his magic once again and get him performing up to his standards. Even if they lose Linebrink, they'll get compensatory draft picks at the end of the year. It was a risk worth taking for a team in their position and the Padres needed some real prospects in the system.

if you can't do well in the pads bullpen, you can't do well in any bullpen. but i agree, we needed some prospects. but if im the brewers i never trade a top 100 prospect and two lefties for a guy who at best will be pitching the 7th inning

if you can't do well in the pads bullpen, you can't do well in any bullpen. but i agree, we needed some prospects. but if im the brewers i never trade a top 100 prospect and two lefties for a guy who at best will be pitching the 7th inning

I guess it's all about the short term...the city has fallen in love with the team again and maybe they think that they have enough young talent to take the hit now and try for the World Series. It will pay off because next year, Gallardo will be in the rotation full time (hopefully Sheets too), Weeks will be healthy, Hart and Braun will get full playing time, etc and that will draw in fans and success.

when i heard we trade linebrink to the brewers i was hoping we were getting back gwynn :ph34r:

i dont see where he fits in if they like hart so much. maybe they'll trade hall or something

when i heard we trade linebrink to the brewers i was hoping we were getting back gwynn :ph34r:

i dont see where he fits in if they like hart so much. maybe they'll trade hall or something

Well, they're not sure anymore if Hall is real, a flash in the pan, or just injured which hurts his trade value...I haven't heard his name mentioned so I assume that he's in their plans next year as one of the few veteran presences in the lineup. But I like that San Diego is keeping up with it's pitching rich tradition and saving money for the hitters when they come along in a less inflated market.