SportsWrath

Question for the Admiral

mickeef2

What's up with Young's appeal? I noticed they pushed him back a day to work their way around the suspension, but I thought they usually rule on these things pretty quickly. I mean, what's to keep MLB from ruling tomorrow that the suspension stands, and then he can't pitch again for the next 5 days? Or am I missing something?

Good luck this weekend. Should be a good series. Hopefully we'll see your boy in the 9th. :P:cheers:

What's up with Young's appeal? I noticed they pushed him back a day to work their way around the suspension, but I thought they usually rule on these things pretty quickly. I mean, what's to keep MLB from ruling tomorrow that the suspension stands, and then he can't pitch again for the next 5 days? Or am I missing something?

Good luck this weekend. Should be a good series. Hopefully we'll see your boy in the 9th. :P:cheers:

i have no idea, i was thinking the same thing but lee's appeal won't be heard by then either so maybe it isnj't as fast as we thought? doesn't an arbiter rule on these things anyway?

i was scared shitless that young would miss his turn in this series as soon as i heard about the fight--i've had this weekend circled for a month now and i would've liked to see it lined up as young/peavy/germano so i can see waht the young guy can do against a team like yours but im happy with 2 of the 3. i'm actually not going out this weekend so i can watch all three games. this is the litmus test for the pads--if they can take 2 of 3 from the best team in baseball then i'll feel pretty good about our chances of actually making some noise this year, but losing 2 of 3 to baltimore has me a little worried. good luck to you as well and i hope not to see your boy in the 9th :ph34r:

in the NL west, the angels would be up by 10 games, maybe more. so would detroit.

i would say

1.angels

2.tigers

3.redsox ( i know, they kicked our ass royally, but that proves nada)

btw, i just scored a tix to tonite's game against yanks. right behind visitor on deck circle.

in the NL west, the angels would be up by 10 games, maybe more. so would detroit.

i would say

1.angels

2.tigers

3.redsox ( i know, they kicked our ass royally, but that proves nada)

btw, i just scored a tix to tonite's game against yanks. right behind visitor on deck circle.

awesome, enjoy the game.

my list would be:

1) red sox

2) angels

3)tigers

good series, mickeef. i got the minimum that i wanted from it--1 win and confirmation that we can play with the big boys. would've liked to see adrian gonzalez come through in at least one of those key spots he was in but the main issue is that we need a bat. i'd love to trade for dye (as long as we give up fair compensation for a half year rental) and get a little bit of power from the right side of the plate for the stretch run, but usually we stick to the michael barrett-type of transactions.

papelbon's great, i thought we might get to him in the first game but he's truly dominant. if you guys get buerhle the rest of the AL better watch out

good series, mickeef. i got the minimum that i wanted from it--1 win and confirmation that we can play with the big boys. would've liked to see adrian gonzalez come through in at least one of those key spots he was in but the main issue is that we need a bat. i'd love to trade for dye (as long as we give up fair compensation for a half year rental) and get a little bit of power from the right side of the plate for the stretch run, but usually we stick to the michael barrett-type of transactions.

papelbon's great, i thought we might get to him in the first game but he's truly dominant. if you guys get buerhle the rest of the AL better watch out

Definitely a well-played, hard fought series by both teams. I didn't see any of the games, unfortunately, but I tried to follow along on the computer as much as I could and it seems like your bullpen is all it's cracked up to be. Ours was great, too. I'm usually looking for the negative with the Sox, but I have to say there's little to be negative about these days. They responded great to the Yankees run and these last two series they really asserted themselves.

As for Buerhle, I'm not sure what to think. Eckersly makes a good point in the fact that he's a contact pitcher, which could be deadly in Fenway. He seems to have done pretty well so far with it, though. The question is, where does he fit in? Does this say you're giving up on Schilling this year? Tavares has been great lately, so I don't think you want to move him out of the rotation. Wake is usually on a pretty long leash because they know that, for as bad as he can be, he can also be unhittable when he's on, and that's a great weapon to have in the postseason. I also don't like the fact that they're talking about Jacoby Ellsbury in the trade. I think they need to hold onto a very good outfield prospect at this point considering Manny is coming to the end of the line with the Sox and Crisp is still a big question mark.

I think what the Sox do about Buerhle will tell you everything you need to know about Schilling's health. Right now I'm thinking they're just trying to raise his price in case the Yankees want to get involved.

Good series, my Padres compadre, with one of the best pitching matchups of the season for the rubber match. It's a shame we beat on Peavy though. I don't know how much had to do with the two dives but the Red Sox are second in the majors in OBP and have guys who can take pitches. The addition of Alex Cora helped even more, I'm sure he had a couple of 7+ pitch ABs that game. Honestly though, I never realized how top heavy the San Diego Padres lineup was...get some hitting! Dye's on the DL though.

As to Buehrle, he'd be a nice addition considering we have the top of the rotation covered with Beckett and Matsuzaka, but at what price. I don't believe the names we're hearing because the Sox front office doesn't comment on trades. All the names mean is that other teams covet Lester, Buchholz, Bowden, and Ellsbury, nothing more. I haven't heard any updates on Schilling but unless he can actually make an effort to stay in shape, he'll probably be gone after this season. Honestly, best K/BB in the majors last year and he's still a genius...just taking the Rich Garces training regime. The Red Sox like Buehrle, nothing more, but they're smart.

Hey Midas, what happened to that catcher on SD who you said was the second coming of Johnny Bench. I forgot his name. The announcers said Barrett will be taking most of the games, is the other guy hurt?

Hey Midas, what happened to that catcher on SD who you said was the second coming of Johnny Bench. I forgot his name. The announcers said Barrett will be taking most of the games, is the other guy hurt?

Josh Bard.

Definitely a well-played, hard fought series by both teams. I didn't see any of the games, unfortunately, but I tried to follow along on the computer as much as I could and it seems like your bullpen is all it's cracked up to be. Ours was great, too. I'm usually looking for the negative with the Sox, but I have to say there's little to be negative about these days. They responded great to the Yankees run and these last two series they really asserted themselves.

As for Buerhle, I'm not sure what to think. Eckersly makes a good point in the fact that he's a contact pitcher, which could be deadly in Fenway. He seems to have done pretty well so far with it, though. The question is, where does he fit in? Does this say you're giving up on Schilling this year? Tavares has been great lately, so I don't think you want to move him out of the rotation. Wake is usually on a pretty long leash because they know that, for as bad as he can be, he can also be unhittable when he's on, and that's a great weapon to have in the postseason. I also don't like the fact that they're talking about Jacoby Ellsbury in the trade. I think they need to hold onto a very good outfield prospect at this point considering Manny is coming to the end of the line with the Sox and Crisp is still a big question mark.

I think what the Sox do about Buerhle will tell you everything you need to know about Schilling's health. Right now I'm thinking they're just trying to raise his price in case the Yankees want to get involved.

yeah i've never been that sold on buerhle but he can boost anyone's rotation. you wouldn't rather have taveres in the pen? i haven't followed him recently as a starter, is he really pitching that well?

Good series, my Padres compadre, with one of the best pitching matchups of the season for the rubber match. It's a shame we beat on Peavy though. I don't know how much had to do with the two dives but the Red Sox are second in the majors in OBP and have guys who can take pitches. The addition of Alex Cora helped even more, I'm sure he had a couple of 7+ pitch ABs that game. Honestly though, I never realized how top heavy the San Diego Padres lineup was...get some hitting! Dye's on the DL though.

ha, we're not heavy anywhere. i'm no fan of the giles brothers--especially the post roid giles brothers. adrian gonzalez is our WHOLE offense. he leads the team in hits, doubles, triples, hrs, avg, obp, ops, slg, and basically every catagory imaginable (other than steals probably), and as much as i love the guy he can't carry an offense. we need another bat badly. it's good to hear dye's on the dl if it's not that serious. if he comes off before the deadline then the injury willonly keep his value down--maybe evenlower it. i wouldn't sleep on him in the 2nd half of a contract year in a new environment and no guillen--especially if that injury contributed to his shitty numbers.

As to Buehrle, he'd be a nice addition considering we have the top of the rotation covered with Beckett and Matsuzaka, but at what price. I don't believe the names we're hearing because the Sox front office doesn't comment on trades. All the names mean is that other teams covet Lester, Buchholz, Bowden, and Ellsbury, nothing more. I haven't heard any updates on Schilling but unless he can actually make an effort to stay in shape, he'll probably be gone after this season. Honestly, best K/BB in the majors last year and he's still a genius...just taking the Rich Garces training regime. The Red Sox like Buehrle, nothing more, but they're smart.

the sox were smart to not give into schilling during the offseason. he knew he wouldn't make itoutof the season with no injuries and sparkling numbers. i suspect mo might've felt the same way which is why he uncharacteristically spoke out in the spring

he started hot, got hurt, and then has hit like shit since. dont know what's wrong with him but he hit .339 with 9 hrs and 40 rbi last year in less than 200 at bats, maybe he's more effective as a part-time player?

he started hot, got hurt, and then has hit like shit since. dont know what's wrong with him but he hit .339 with 9 hrs and 40 rbi last year in less than 200 at bats, maybe he's more effective as a part-time player?

ahh, i think he pinch hit last nite

you could always trade 3 pitching prospects for aj pierzinski :mellow:

yeah i've never been that sold on buerhle but he can boost anyone's rotation. you wouldn't rather have taveres in the pen? i haven't followed him recently as a starter, is he really pitching that well?

He was until last night, when I jinxed him. I don't really like him out of the pen, no. But I didn't really like him as a starter, either, until he started pitching well. To me, he's just always been too eratic. Obviously, given the choice, I'd rather have Buehrle in the rotation than Tavarez, it's just the cost (in players) that I'd be worried about.

I'm usually looking for the negative with the Sox, but I have to say there's little to be negative about these days. They responded great to the Yankees run and these last two series they really asserted themselves.

Sorry, baseball gods, for opening my big mouth. Can we get back to winning games now?