SportsWrath

Girardi turns down O's managerial job

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6947388?MSNHPHMA

Ken Rosenthal

FOXSports.com, Updated 1 hour ago

Former Marlins manager Joe Girardi turned down the Orioles' managing position on Thursday, saying, "At this point in time, it's not right for me and my family."

"It's a great organization. There's a great history. It's a great sports town," Girardi told FOXSports.com. "I was very impressed with Andy MacPhail and their front office. But at this time, it's not just right."

Girardi, 42, could be a candidate for several high-profile jobs at the end of the season; the Yankees, White Sox, Cardinals and Astros are among the teams that could have openings.

He also withdrew his name from consideration for the Nationals' position last off-season, but said, "It's not like I'm sitting around waiting for a particular job."

Girardi, an analyst for FOX and the Yankees' television network, is married with three young children.

His talks with the Orioles may have stalled over money, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

Girardi, the National League Manager of the Year last season, likely would want a contract of at least three years and a salary of at least $1 million, according to major-league sources familiar with managerial contracts.

Such a deal would have been the largest ever given by the Orioles to a manager, but Girardi denied that money was an issue.

"That's not true," he said. "I can tell you that."

Girardi's decision is a blow to the Orioles and MacPhail, their new chief operating officer.

MacPhail was the Cubs' team president when Girardi was a catcher with the team from 2000 to '02, and the two developed a relationship when Girardi was the club's player representative.

The Orioles must now regroup and find a permanent replacement for Sam Perlozzo, whom they fired Monday. Dave Trembley is the team's interim manager.

Former Cubs manager Dusty Baker, Mets bench coach Jerry Manuel, former Orioles manager Davey Johnson and former major-league manager Jim Fregosi are among the names the front office has discussed interviewing.

Anybody think he might be waiting for the Yankees job to open up?

the right move would be the yanks hiring girardi after joe doesn't re-sign this year, but i'm pretty convinced that mattingly is getting the job

Do you think Mattingly will make a good manager? I'm torn, I think Girardi can lighten the mood like he did in Florida. Everybody said they loved playing for him. I know they had a shitty record, but that team had very little talent and he had them in the wild card race (in the NL, I know, not hard to do). And wasn't Girardi being "groomed" to take over for Joe before he got the Marlins job?

Do you think Mattingly will make a good manager? I'm torn, I think Girardi can lighten the mood like he did in Florida. Everybody said they loved playing for him. I know they had a shitty record, but that team had very little talent and he had them in the wild card race (in the NL, I know, not hard to do). And wasn't Girardi being "groomed" to take over for Joe before he got the Marlins job?

Girardi's team had a 78-84 record I believe. I don't know about lighten the

mood, I always heard he was a guy to crack the whip on players. That would be a total

180 from what Joe Torre is, IMO.

I cant see Girardi cracking the whip on these guys unless needed. Which is exactly what needs to be done here and there and Torre doesn't. I also cant see Mattingly cracking the whip. Girardi has the experience that Mattingly doesn't and I would be furious if Mattingly gets the nod with Girardi being available.

I may be in the minority here, but i'm surprised Joe didn't take the O's job. IMO it's a dream job except for Pete Angie, great park and a city that would adore him if he accomplished anything at all. Not to mention he stays in the spotlight for the yanks job by playing in the division.

I CAN see Girardi cracking the whip, he sure did in Florida, so much he cracked on the owner which lead to him being fired. He was constantly on his guys in the dugout.

If the Yankees are going to go with Mattingly, they might as just stick with Torre, theyre the same person

in my opinion it IS harder to do it in the NL. managing an NL team actually takes some skill-just look at joe torre's NL record. managing the yankees--from a purely baseball perspective--is way easier than managing the marlins with a 20 mil payroll. girardi has shown he can manage, mattingly hasn't and personally i think he'd be overwhelmed--also iagree with makemesomefoodho, he's the exact same type ofmanager as torre