SportsWrath

33 pitches...

...is what it took for Rivera to close out the game today. WOW. I think it's time the Yanks start looking for a new closer. I'm a huge Mo fan, but I've gotta be a realist, his days are numbered.

He wasn't really hit hard, except for back to back singles by Gomez and Reyes. He gave up a few soft singles, owned Gotay on three nasty pitches, and got Beltran to pop up. I think he's still the best, and just needs to pitch more to stay consistent.

It was amazing how soft Castro, Delgado, and Lo Duca hit those balls, yet they found holes. The problem is he's leaving those pitches up.

Gomez and Reyes really swatted those two. Gomez is gonna be a stud.

Wow, let's calm down here....Rivera is just now getting back in to form, and correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't this his 4th consecutive save tonight?

It was but a shaky one. I hope it was just him playing with pitches being up by 5. If I'm correct, the last 3 were stellar.

it's not easy to replace any closer, let alone mariano rivera. the yanks might have to go through some ninth inning pains for a year or two after mo retires--just like every other team

Wow, let's calm down here....Rivera is just now getting back in to form, and correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't this his 4th consecutive save tonight?

If you think that that was anything close to a save you:

a)did not see that near disaster yesterday

and more IMPORTANTLY

b)have no clue as to what the rules of major league baseball are and what situations consititute a save.

Rivera has worried me for years now.... he has had some good stuff the last couple years.... but i dont think he has been the same since he blew the world series in '01

This is the first year I've been worried every time he comes out to pitch. I remember being able to just relax and know the game was over when he would come out, but now my heart is in my throat every time.

maybe I take baseball too seriously.

NAAAH!!!!!! GO YANKS!!!!!!!!!! :TU:

You have got to be kidding me..ask any pitcher that has ever closed, when they come in in non save situations, theyre not the same. I dont know why that it is, but it just is. He has been MUCH better with his command lately and Im not worried in the least bit. a couple of seeing eye singles and a one off his foot and he's done? puh leez. he has 2 blown saves this season and hasnt been used consistantly which is the main reason pitchers lack command.... which is what was the problem with him early in the season...his command was fine on Saturday, like I said, they got a few lucky hits, tip your cap, but he is in no way done and he wasnt getting hit hard at all...the sky is not falling chicken littles.

they have some guys in the minors, mainly mark melancon, who will be mo's replacement but he is fine for now, i mean he had like an 11 scoreless innings streak running so he's starting to get it back, i'm not really worried, we will probably grab someone by the deadline anyway

I dont know man melancon, cox and sanchez all had major surgeries in the past year, I hear cox might not pitch ever again, humberto sanchez will be the next closer barring any more health issues. Melancon is not a bad choice either, kid was filthy in arizona

I don't think you guys really have anything to worry about this year with Mo. He looked real good before the other night, and like Food Ho said, it was a non-save situation and it's almost like you can't judge a closer in those situations (although I did get all over Wagnr last year for that blown 4-run lead against the Yankees, but at least Mo didn't lose the game).

I don't think you guys really have anything to worry about this year with Mo. He looked real good before the other night, and like Food Ho said, it was a non-save situation and it's almost like you can't judge a closer in those situations (although I did get all over Wagnr last year for that blown 4-run lead against the Yankees, but at least Mo didn't lose the game).

I'm not as concerned about Mariano as I know Mets fans are worried about Wagner. I know he isn't the Mariano of 1998 but to say that his career end is imminent is rediculous, with that being said I doubt that there is anyone on the team now or in the farm system that could step right in and be as effective. I'm not as well versed on the Yankees minor leaguers as some others are so I'll have to take their word for it.