SportsWrath

Arizona D-Backs @ NY Mets series thread

Plax 4 Prez

D-Backs vs Mets

Arizona Diamondbacks starters have been outstanding during the team's season-high seven-game winning streak, and have gotten some much-deserved run support. Brandon Webb hasn't been nearly as fortunate against the New York Mets.

The Diamondbacks look to finally give the reigning NL Cy Young Award winner some runs to work with against the Mets when the teams open a three-game series Friday night at Shea Stadium.

Arizona's starters have earned a win in each game during the winning streak, posting a 1.65 ERA in that span as the club has scored a total of 55 runs.

The Diamondbacks (32-23) received six shutout innings from Randy Johnson in a 4-3 victory over Philadelphia on Wednesday night. Arizona, which is trying to win eight straight for the first time since a 12-game run from June 18-30, 2003, is in a virtual tie for first place with the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego in the NL West.

Webb (4-3, 3.74 ERA), however, is just 1-6 in eight career starts against the Mets (34-18) despite posting a 2.59 ERA in that span. The Diamondbacks have not scored a run for Webb in his last three starts against New York.

He struggled against the NL-leading Mets earlier this month, surrendering six runs and six hits in six innings as the Diamondbacks lost 6-2 on May 5.

The right-hander won his last start by allowing two runs and seven hits while striking out eight in seven innings as Arizona beat Houston 5-4 on Saturday.

Webb may be facing a New York lineup that could be without star center fielder Carlos Beltran, who bruised his right knee in a first-inning collision with San Francisco first baseman Rich Aurilia in a 4-2 win on Thursday night.

The Mets are already thin in the outfield, with Moises Alou and Shawn Green on the disabled list. Beltran said the pain subsided as the night went on.

"I was a little concerned," he said.

Beltran is batting .364 (40-for-110) with nine home runs, seven doubles, 29 RBIs, 26 runs and 12 stolen bases in 30 games against the Diamondbacks. If he gets some time off, Carlos Gomez would likely replace him in the lineup.

The Mets, who have won five of six overall, have won 15 of their last 17 games against the Diamondbacks. New York won three of four games in Arizona from May 3-6.

John Maine (6-2, 2.79) will get the ball for the Mets on Friday, trying to take over the staff lead in victories.

The right-hander gave up two runs and four hits while tying a season high with eight strikeouts in six innings to beat Florida 7-2 on Saturday night.

Maine lost his previous two starts and hadn't won since May 4 against Arizona, when he allowed one run and six hits in six innings as the Mets won 5-3. It was his first appearance against the Diamondbacks.

Hopefully Wright and Beltran get better soon.

Every year Beltran sits out a few games with a puss injury. That is the one thing I don't like about him.

Well, there is another thing. He plays too deep. We will NEVER throw a guy out trying to score from second on a single to center.

Every year Beltran sits out a few games with a puss injury. That is the one thing I don't like about him.

Well, there is another thing. He plays too deep. We will NEVER throw a guy out trying to score from second on a single to center.

Except on opening day :flex:

Hey guys. I went to the game yesterday and that ball in the 8th definately looked fair. I haven't seen any replays on tv so I'm assuming that it must have been fairly obvious that it was foul. Just wanted to get someones take who saw it on tv. From my angle that ball went directly over top of the bag, and should have been a 2 or 3 run double.

Hey guys. I went to the game yesterday and that ball in the 8th definately looked fair. I haven't seen any replays on tv so I'm assuming that it must have been fairly obvious that it was foul. Just wanted to get someones take who saw it on tv. From my angle that ball went directly over top of the bag, and should have been a 2 or 3 run double.

I didn't see the play, but read in today's paper that it was fair. That's what the writer thought, anyway.