SportsWrath

NO TRADES!

I must say, this is the best I've felt about a team since the late 80's. And I didn't know any better then. I was 10 years old when the Mets won it all in '86. The great thing about our team is we don't need to make any moves whatsoever, unless we have a catastrophic injury or two. What I'm most excited about is the pitching. Who is the ace? Many people said it was Glavine at the start of the season and he has pitched well (except for the 1st innings of games) but I can't say he is our ace. That honor should go to Orlando Hernandez.... or Oliver Perez.... or John Maine, I just don't know! I will have to say El Duque. El Duque has been completely dominant and because of his array of off-speed stuff, he could pitch a complete game and not get that tired. However, ESPN just wrote an article about Oliver Perez talking about he is emerging as one of the best left-handed starters in the league. You really have to give it up to Omar Minaya and Rick Peterson. I think I could walk on to the Mets and Rick Peterson could turn me into an pitcher that could get outs, and I can't throw harder than 75! Then you look at John Maine, who despite a few rough starts in May, has been amazing and was the NL's pitcher of the month in April. Sosa has been brilliant as well, and soon Pedro will be back! This is how I look at the order of our rotation right now:

1. El Duque

2. Oliver Perez

3. John Maine

4. Tom Glavine

5. Jorge Sosa

The top 4 guys could win 15 games, even though El Duque has a lot of ground to make up. Sosa would have a chance, but he will more than likely be out of the rotation when Pedro comes back. Oliver Perez has a chance at a 20 win season and maybe even a Cy Young award, and Maine has an outside chance at that as well. I truly believe that we have the best starting rotation in all of baseball, which was considered a question mark by most baseball pundits when the season began.

And the bullpen is in good shape as well. Billy Wagner still pisses me off sometimes because he will walk the leadoff batter every now and then, and you just don't do that. But he has been much more consistent this year. Mota is back after paying the price for his error in judgement, and I think he will be lights out again. With Heilman, Joe Smith, and Pedro Feliciano, I think we have the best bullpen in the majors as well. It will be even better if Duaner Sanchez can come back this year and return to form as the dominant setup man in baseball (we will see, but it's encouraging he is now allowed to lift weights again). The only argument I have is why they sent Ambiorix Burgos to the minors when he has been doing a good job, but left Schoenweis up with the big club when he has been terrible. Sele has not pitched well, either. The only reason is because Schoenweis is a lefty, but I really don't care. We have Pedro Feliciano, and I'd rather have a little imbalance in the pen as far as righty's and lefty's if I didn't have to see Schoenweis again.

Even with injuries to Moises Alou, Jose Valentin, and Shawn Green, we still have been winning. That's because we have the best bench in baseball. Damion Easley has won a few games for us with big homeruns, and he has 7 already! Chavez is probably the best all-around 4th outfielder in the game, and Gomez, although still has a big learning curve, is at least an upgrade on defense over Green while's he's out, as well as being the fastest man on the team, which is really saying something. The lone guy I have a problem with is David Newhan. He has not hit, although he does know how to earn a walk. Julio Franco has not hit well, either, although he has come up with some big timely hits. I think he's developing a slow bat as the age is finally catching up with him, and it's a shame. I really want to see him play at 50 years old, and he's a great guy, but he's got to really cut down on all the swings and misses. Ramon Castro also deserves some praise because seemingly everytime he has given Lo Duca a day off, he's come up with big hits as well as played his usual terrific defense and handled the pitchers well.

Most of the time I would admit when I am being a homer. But not this time. The proof is in the pudding, and these guys have been performing, and the Mets are on pace to win over 100 games this season. If they don't have the best rotation (that should be even better when Pedro comes back), then who does? If they don't have the best bench in baseball, whose is better? Who has the better bullpen than the Mets?

With all these wins, it's easy to forget that Beltran hasn't been consistent with the bat yet, Delgado is just starting to come around, Reyes is in a slump, and Wright has mostly been slumping all season so far. When these hitters get going like we know they can, and if they can get going all at the same time, then it wouldn't surprise me to see the Mets win 10 or 15 games in a row.

LETS GO METS!

3 years.
the market price for relief pitchers the past few seasons is just fucking insane...see farnsworth.

in most cases, middle relief pitchers have up and down seasons, their numbers are extremely inconsistant and teams are probably better off just going with one of the kids in their system and saving money with similar results. yet they command big bucks on the open market year in and year out...God I wish I never did/sold drugs; Id be a fucking millionaire 20 times over by now.

the market price for relief pitchers the past few seasons is just fucking insane...see farnsworth.

in most cases, middle relief pitchers have up and down seasons, their numbers are extremely inconsistant and teams are probably better off just going with one of the kids in their system and saving money with similar results. yet they command big bucks on the open market year in and year out...God I wish I never did/sold drugs; Id be a fucking millionaire 20 times over by now.

Word, the thing that pisses me off is that prior to this year,

he didn't give up any home runs. He's already given up 3 this year.

If we make a deal for a true "ace", it's all but wrapped up. The NL pennant, at least.

I still like this team the way it is, except for Schoeneweis.. <-- how the hell do you spell his name again? :confused:

If Pedro can come back and pitch like he was in 2005, early 2006...

Oh boy. :drool:

El Duque only 2H, 2ER, and 1BB in 7 IP last night once again. He's been magnificent. If he could just stay injury free the rest of the way, there's your ace. I think Perez will be considered an ace in all circles by the end of the season as well. Rick Peterson should get a bonus for that one. Perez is back to 2004 production.