SportsWrath

Here is what kills me about Giants fans...

BadEgg

That would be Marshall Faulk, who will get in before Tiki does; even if Tiki has to wait.

Other reasons:

1) never won rushing lead for the season

2) 3 years with low turnovers doesn't hide the other 7 years

3) There isn't a single category where one of his contemporaries didn't out-perform him

But because he is the greatest Giants running back to play

we should let him in automatically.

Keep in mind when discussing Tiki and the hall of fame, you have to consider the guys who have retired in the same year, because that's the class that he'll be up against first and foremost, then you'll have the carry over, which, as the years go by, their hopes decrease rather than improve (which makes Carson's election all the more amazing). If you factor in these issues, then there's a very good chance Tiki could get in first time. Right now assuming Curtis Martin is done, unless I'm missing someone else from this year, those 2 would look to be the strongest candidates and out of the 2, Martin is the strongest.

Truth be told, I don't think he should go in, his overall body of work should be considered and not the last 4 years only. Only a few years ago, Tiki was fumbling the ball all over the place.

Carson was never a media whore unlike Mr. Barber.

As my sig would suggest, I'm a Carson fan, but not blind enough to the fact that Harry Liked attention also, not to Tiki's extent, but he did like it. In fairness the last few years he has done a good job trying to bring some focus to the plight of some of his fellow retired players, which is admirable.

I make a post predicting the Giants battling it out for the basement.

Interestingly, many of the so-called experts are not exactly in love with the Giants right now. Now, I do not put much stock in the "experts." However, it goes to show that I am not alone in my opinion. :worshippy:

So I make my post, and the best that Giants fans come up with is shots at the Cowboys, and shots at me for being a so-called "troll." :blah: This is called avoiding the issue. Conversely, maybe you know what I say is true, and there is no counter-argument. This troll does not know.

And you wonder why I come on once a month and never respond...Do you homers ever post anything that justifies a response? :doh:

P.S. You people jumping on the Brandon Jacobs bandwagon cleary do not appreciate what Tiki Barber meant to your franchise. He carried that overrated QB and mediocre offensive line by slipping and cutting through non-existant holes. I can't wait to see Brandon Jacobs try and run on Dallas behind that same sive... :evilgrin: And I can't wait to watch Eli try to pass with no running game to speak of...

Boohyah, SUP man? Why are you denigrating my Giants my man? Since I am prolly the oldest fan on the Board, and have been through both the good - my first Championship was in '56 and 2 SB wins. But I have also been through many lean years. I am not overly optimistic about this season but YOU are woefully underestimating Jacobs. I saw him play in college and he was a beast at SIU. Hopefully we'll get him to run a little lower and that will help. Eli - the jury is still out but he has the pedigree and more than once it showed through. I expect this might be a make or break season for him.

So I hope to see you posting more often after all you are my best bud when it comes to Boxing. :rolleyes:

Boohyah, SUP man? Why are you denigrating my Giants my man? Since I am prolly the oldest fan on the Board, and have been through both the good - my first Championship was in '56 and 2 SB wins. But I have also been through many lean years. I am not overly optimistic about this season but YOU are woefully underestimating Jacobs. I saw him play in college and he was a beast at SIU. Hopefully we'll get him to run a little lower and that will help. Eli - the jury is still out but he has the pedigree and more than once it showed through. I expect this might be a make or break season for him.

So I hope to see you posting more often after all you are my best bud when it comes to Boxing. :rolleyes:

Charles, you're killing me. You're addressing Me but responding to BadEGG????

I figured our games are what killed BadEgg.

I mean really, we weren't even a good team last year and Dallas struggled to win one. Thank goodness for Gramatica.

I don't make excuses, but Dallas is in for a rude awakening this season: new coach, new plan, and three defenses that are either good or getting better....puhlease!

I have a Dalass fan in my life and all I hear is how they're going to do this, that, or the other. It's funny, he never even thinks that he'l be in the cellar; never crossed his mind, despite the fact that it's a whole new season and not only have they changed, but so have we.

I'd guess that we'll win the East followed by the Skins, the Beagles, and then Dalass.

I look forward to the surprised look on everyone's face when our team just grinds other's down. It'll be fun and then all the people getting wild haired for Dallas will be singing a different tune by week 4.

You hit the nail on the head! In recent offseasons I have considered and expected the Cowboys to finish in the bottom half of the division. Not this season. The thought of the Cowboys finishing behind the Redskins or the Giants has not come close to crossing my mind. :o Barring injuries, it is something I will not even entertain this season. The Eagles are a little tougher but, in the end, I don't see them stopping the Cowboys.

And I'm not attempting to be argumentative or antagonostic. Just being honest. Barring injury, it's not even a consideration... :flex:

It's a shame that some so-called Giants fans don't respect Barber for what he did and who he was to the NY community. He is called a media whore because he set himself up for a career after football. Because he used the press to his advantage, not disadvantage like so many other athletes. Tiki is a role model for young football players. I'm going to talk about his off-field stuff first. Because where Tiki came from, he should not be the success story that he is. Tiki came from a single mother household, he did not have a father to push him or teach him how to be a man. His mother worked several jobs to provide for him and Ronde so you know that she wasn't around very much either. I don't need to tell you how most kids that are brought up like this turn out. They usually don't finish valedictorian of his high school graduating class. He also earned his MIS degree at University of Virginia BEFORE making the jump to the NFL. Tiki recognized the importance of acheivement academically. He and Ronde donated $1,000,000.00 to University of Virginia a couple of years ago. When an Army captain saw Tiki at a hotel in Hawaii a few years ago (when Tiki was there for the Pro Bowl), he invited him to run PT with his company at probably 5:00am, because that is usually when Army PT happens. Tiki didn't say, "Hey, I'm on vacation with my family" like a lot of guys would. Tiki didn't pull an ego trip and think he was too good for that, like some players would. Tiki got up early and ran with the troops. That's the kind of person he was. Tiki also gave of himself to the community and is still active in various other charitable efforts, such as the Verizon Literacy Campaign, Fresh Air Fund, Robin Hood Foundation and the Children's Miracle Network. He does more than anyone sitting on this message board does to make the world a better place.

A lot of players leave the NFL and have nothing to do but burn through their money. Tiki set himself up for a highly successful career after football. That's to his credit. Tiki gave himself options and went about things the right way, and because of it, he will remain successful after his football career.

On the field, Tiki played through injuries the last couple of seasons. When he came into the league, he was stuck behind Rodney Hampton for a few years. Then the Giants drafted Ron Dayne and decided to do the ill-fated thunder and lightning experiment. After that bombed, Tiki was FINALLY given a chance to be the feature back in the 2002 season. He responded with 1,387 rushing yards, and 597 receiving yards. Even in 2000, the first year of "Thunder and Lightning", Barber amassed 1,006 yards rushing and 719 yards receiving. Tiki had some fumbling issues. in 2002 and 2003 he fumbled a combined 17 times in 32 games, 12 of which were recovered by the opposing defense. That is a blemish, but that blemish doesn't override his accomplishments. Tiki was great for a good 7 years, not just the last 3 years. Even during Thunder and Lightning, he performed well. The only year since 2000 he failed to amass 1500 yards from scrimmage was 2001 season, a Thunder and Lightning year, and also one in which he played in only 14 games due to injury, and he still amassed 1,442 yards from scrimmage, with a 5.2 ypc avg (I think that's close enough). Tiki's career rushing avg is 4.7 ypc. Tiki gained over 2,000 yards from scrimmage 3 times, and a 4th season he fell just short (1,984 yards in 2002). Tiki had the misfortune of getting his shot at the same time as LaDanian Tomlinson, who will likely someday be regarded as the greatest running back of all time, and Shaun Alexander, another likely HOFer. It's too bad Tiki didn't play for another 2 or 3 seasons, because then he would be a lock. In my mind, he should be a Hall of Famer. He is only the 3rd player all time to have more than 10,000 yards rushing and 5,000 yards receiving. The other two are Marshall Faulk and Marcus Allen. Allen is a HOFer, Faulk will be one.

When I've heard fans of opposing teams talk about Tiki, even those from the Eagles and Cowboys, they regard him with the utmost respect and admiration. When I hear fans of the Giants talk about Tiki, they are mixed. Fans from other teams say that when the Giants beat their team, it was because of Tiki's herculean efforts. It's a shame Giants fans don't appreciate him the way the rest of the NFL does.

Tiki worked hard to get where he is, harder than most people on this board have ever had to work for something in their lives. But people like Golfingkid sit at some computer in their cushy little chair and trash a player who was a class act and did a lot for the organization. I have a lot of respect for not only what Tiki did on the field, but for who he was off it. He's an inspiration to me and one of the few athletes in today's sporting world I truly admire.

Thanks for Tiki' biography, which has nothing to do with his stats

on the field. All I'm saying is that he isn't a first ballot HOF as you

so claim, he could get in, but it won't be on the first try. I think I've

stated that also.

You hit the nail on the head! In recent offseasons I have considered and expected the Cowboys to finish in the bottom half of the division. Not this season. The thought of the Cowboys finishing behind the Redskins or the Giants has not come close to crossing my mind. :o Barring injuries, it is something I will not even entertain this season. The Eagles are a little tougher but, in the end, I don't see them stopping the Cowboys.

And I'm not attempting to be argumentative or antagonostic. Just being honest. Barring injury, it's not even a consideration... :flex:

I don't think the Cowboys will be a bad team. It all rides on Romo. If he performs well, then the Cowboys will be a good team. The defense is there. Demarcus Ware is an animal. And if Anthony Spencer turns out to be a gem like a lot of people think your defense can be scary good. A lot of it has to do with how teams finish out games. Every year, there are more than a couple games that are won or lost in the last few minutes, and a lot of that has to do with discipline, not making stupid mistakes, rising to the occasion, and good coaching. These handful of games usually determine the playoff teams from the middle of the pack teams. I think the division can be won by the Giants, Cowboys, or Eagles. I certainly don't expect the Redskins to make it, and I think there's your cellar dweller. Eli has to step up, but I'm most optimistic about our defense. With Strahan, Osi, and Kiwi all on the field at the same time, our defense has a chance to be scary, too. Injuries will play a big part of it as well. Just like last year, I believe Luke Petitgout's injury in week 10 cost us the season. Deihl cannot let that happen to him. I think David Deihl is the key player on our team this year, and other than Eli Manning, it is most critical for him to stay healthy over anyone else on the roster. For you guys, obviously it's always the QB, but other than him, I would have to say Marion Barber III. I don't think Julius Jones is that good, and if the Cowboys can't run the ball, then Romo will have to do it by himself and I'm not sure that can happen. A close 2nd would be T.O., because he's still such a playmaker despite everything else. He has to keep his head on straight and his mouth shut and stay injury free. But even if you lose T.O., there is still Terry Glenn and Patrick Crayton, who is an underappreciated wideout.

stated that also.

We will see. I may be wrong and I definitely have some bias towards Tiki, but the only reason I gave the other stuff about Tiki was because fans like you seem to trash him unnecessarily and undeservedly.

We will see. I may be wrong and I definitely have some bias towards Tiki, but the only reason I gave the other stuff about Tiki was because fans like you seem to trash him unnecessarily and undeservedly.

That's because most of us can see through Tiki's

actions.

And don't give me that crap about Tiki was only given 5 chances to

become the featured back. 1998 Gary Brown beat him out, 1999 some dude named

Joe Montgomery beat him out. WE DRAFTED RON DAYNE TO REPLACE HIM, only then

did Tiki realize his job maybe in jeopardy, then he started to work out. Of course if Tiki

was released we wouldn't be seeing his mug on the today show.

That's because most of us can see through Tiki's

actions.

And don't give me that crap about Tiki was only given 5 chances to

become the featured back. 1998 Gary Brown beat him out, 1999 some dude named

Joe Montgomery beat him out. WE DRAFTED RON DAYNE TO REPLACE HIM, only then

did Tiki realize his job maybe in jeopardy, then he started to work out. Of course if Tiki

was released we wouldn't be seeing his mug on the today show.

You can see through his actions? What does that mean? What of all of Tiki's good deeds are you able to conjure up a reason to dislike him? You are a negative person that looks to see the bad in people, likely because you don't want to see that people can do good things in the world, and can be a success story. I wonder why that is? Does others' success make you look upon your own shortcomings? It's like the bully at school who beats up on the little kids to make them feel better about themselves. If you bring everyone else down in your own mind, then you don't have to aspire to great things, is that it? We drafted Ron Dayne because Rodney Hampton retired and those other guys you mentioned didn't get the job done. At the same time, they only saw Tiki as a 3rd down back, and he excelled in that role. It's not like he was garbage when he was on the field. And sure, Tiki didn't fully achieve his peak performance right away, but not many rookies come right into the league and light the world on fire. Even Reggie Bush wasn't given the opportunity to be the workhorse last year for New Orleans.

And another thing, the fact that Tiki has worked hard to achieve everything he has, he may not have been on the Today show if we released him, but he would still be a success no matter where he went. Because people like him work hard. And when you work hard, you get results. You and others think that just because Tiki was in New York that he was handed everything he got and didn't have to work for it. If that's the case, then why hasn't so many other players done the same thing? Plus, there are plenty of players who never did anything in NY who made it in broadcasting. In fact, moreso than there are NY guys. Nice try, though.

Whether or not Tiki "worked hard", fact is he was getting paid a lot of money to do so by the Giants. He should work hard!

Secondly everyone here is entitled to their opinion and they are allowed to put things in perspective, fact is that Tiki did improve and in the last few years was for the most part our offense. However before Coughlin came in (and God knows I don't praise Coughlin for much), Tiki was been ridiculed around the league for fumbling and there were even rumors that Coughlin would get rid of Tiki because he wouldn't tolerate it. Instead Coughlin helped change his style and suddenly there are no fumbles and there is 2 pro bowls.

Truth is nobody benefitted more these last few years than Tiki. On this team his star shone more than ever. Then simply put, it went to his head. You see All Star, you talk about working hard, which is fine, he may have, but then there' working smart, and Coughlin helped Tiki change that. Before Coughlin (BC), Tiki would not be getting a gig on the Today Show, but with his success, he absolutely gets the gig.

Instead of taking the high road, Tiki basically trashed the org, and that wasn't right. There's no way to spin it, he trashed Coughlin at a time when he simply had no reason to. It was done with little class and there's no way to defend him on this. whatever you think of Coughlin, no matter how Coughlin reacts to things (Hitler!!), he doesnt' deserve that. If you had an employee and he knew nothing and you mentored him so that he was able to move to another position and after he got there, he told everyone you sucked, you'd be very pissed off. And that's how a lot of Giants fans feel now about Tiki.

It's a shame that some so-called Giants fans don't respect Barber for what he did and who he was to the NY community. He is called a media whore because he set himself up for a career after football. Because he used the press to his advantage, not disadvantage like so many other athletes. Tiki is a role model for young football players. I'm going to talk about his off-field stuff first. Because where Tiki came from, he should not be the success story that he is. Tiki came from a single mother household, he did not have a father to push him or teach him how to be a man. His mother worked several jobs to provide for him and Ronde so you know that she wasn't around very much either. I don't need to tell you how most kids that are brought up like this turn out. They usually don't finish valedictorian of his high school graduating class. He also earned his MIS degree at University of Virginia BEFORE making the jump to the NFL. Tiki recognized the importance of acheivement academically. He and Ronde donated $1,000,000.00 to University of Virginia a couple of years ago. When an Army captain saw Tiki at a hotel in Hawaii a few years ago (when Tiki was there for the Pro Bowl), he invited him to run PT with his company at probably 5:00am, because that is usually when Army PT happens. Tiki didn't say, "Hey, I'm on vacation with my family" like a lot of guys would. Tiki didn't pull an ego trip and think he was too good for that, like some players would. Tiki got up early and ran with the troops. That's the kind of person he was. Tiki also gave of himself to the community and is still active in various other charitable efforts, such as the Verizon Literacy Campaign, Fresh Air Fund, Robin Hood Foundation and the Children's Miracle Network. He does more than anyone sitting on this message board does to make the world a better place.

A lot of players leave the NFL and have nothing to do but burn through their money. Tiki set himself up for a highly successful career after football. That's to his credit. Tiki gave himself options and went about things the right way, and because of it, he will remain successful after his football career.

On the field, Tiki played through injuries the last couple of seasons. When he came into the league, he was stuck behind Rodney Hampton for a few years. Then the Giants drafted Ron Dayne and decided to do the ill-fated thunder and lightning experiment. After that bombed, Tiki was FINALLY given a chance to be the feature back in the 2002 season. He responded with 1,387 rushing yards, and 597 receiving yards. Even in 2000, the first year of "Thunder and Lightning", Barber amassed 1,006 yards rushing and 719 yards receiving. Tiki had some fumbling issues. in 2002 and 2003 he fumbled a combined 17 times in 32 games, 12 of which were recovered by the opposing defense. That is a blemish, but that blemish doesn't override his accomplishments. Tiki was great for a good 7 years, not just the last 3 years. Even during Thunder and Lightning, he performed well. The only year since 2000 he failed to amass 1500 yards from scrimmage was 2001 season, a Thunder and Lightning year, and also one in which he played in only 14 games due to injury, and he still amassed 1,442 yards from scrimmage, with a 5.2 ypc avg (I think that's close enough). Tiki's career rushing avg is 4.7 ypc. Tiki gained over 2,000 yards from scrimmage 3 times, and a 4th season he fell just short (1,984 yards in 2002). Tiki had the misfortune of getting his shot at the same time as LaDanian Tomlinson, who will likely someday be regarded as the greatest running back of all time, and Shaun Alexander, another likely HOFer. It's too bad Tiki didn't play for another 2 or 3 seasons, because then he would be a lock. In my mind, he should be a Hall of Famer. He is only the 3rd player all time to have more than 10,000 yards rushing and 5,000 yards receiving. The other two are Marshall Faulk and Marcus Allen. Allen is a HOFer, Faulk will be one.

When I've heard fans of opposing teams talk about Tiki, even those from the Eagles and Cowboys, they regard him with the utmost respect and admiration. When I hear fans of the Giants talk about Tiki, they are mixed. Fans from other teams say that when the Giants beat their team, it was because of Tiki's herculean efforts. It's a shame Giants fans don't appreciate him the way the rest of the NFL does.

Tiki worked hard to get where he is, harder than most people on this board have ever had to work for something in their lives. But people like Golfingkid sit at some computer in their cushy little chair and trash a player who was a class act and did a lot for the organization. I have a lot of respect for not only what Tiki did on the field, but for who he was off it. He's an inspiration to me and one of the few athletes in today's sporting world I truly admire.

Awesome, awesome post. Perfect, and says it all. If Tiki is thought of as anything other than a remarkable athelete and human being, your thinking incorrectly. Well said my friend. :clap:

Between the eagles, cowboys, and giants, there are enough question marks and talent where any one of these teams could finish first, or third. Washington manages to catch a well-timed streak, they're in it too--but I doubt it.

And Coughlin tried barring injury--it just pays the fines.

I can't wait to see that bitch Williams try to horse-collar Jacobs like he did to Tiki every game. He's gettin' dragged to the endzone. Hope he breaks a few fingers trying.

If you think your guys sorry ass D-Line can stop Ruben and Brandon than your an idiot... lets not forget Derrik Ward and that rookie we picked up... then you see a healthy Toomer, Plax and Shockey (when they aren't whining), Moss, and Smith... and what do you guys have on offense? Tony Homo, Marion "I wish I was Tiki" Barber, Julius "I get hurt for half the season" Jones, Terrel "the pussy" Owens, Terry "I'm older than your grandfather" Glenn, and a bunch of other scrubs??? LOL, I'll be surprised if we don't beat you at our house and your house... of course you'll dissapear from message boards once we do beat the shit out of you, so enjoy the time you have without watching your team struggle to win more than 5 games... :LMAO:

Whether or not Tiki "worked hard", fact is he was getting paid a lot of money to do so by the Giants. He should work hard!

Secondly everyone here is entitled to their opinion and they are allowed to put things in perspective, fact is that Tiki did improve and in the last few years was for the most part our offense. However before Coughlin came in (and God knows I don't praise Coughlin for much), Tiki was been ridiculed around the league for fumbling and there were even rumors that Coughlin would get rid of Tiki because he wouldn't tolerate it. Instead Coughlin helped change his style and suddenly there are no fumbles and there is 2 pro bowls.

Truth is nobody benefitted more these last few years than Tiki. On this team his star shone more than ever. Then simply put, it went to his head. You see All Star, you talk about working hard, which is fine, he may have, but then there' working smart, and Coughlin helped Tiki change that. Before Coughlin (BC), Tiki would not be getting a gig on the Today Show, but with his success, he absolutely gets the gig.

Instead of taking the high road, Tiki basically trashed the org, and that wasn't right. There's no way to spin it, he trashed Coughlin at a time when he simply had no reason to. It was done with little class and there's no way to defend him on this. whatever you think of Coughlin, no matter how Coughlin reacts to things (Hitler!!), he doesnt' deserve that. If you had an employee and he knew nothing and you mentored him so that he was able to move to another position and after he got there, he told everyone you sucked, you'd be very pissed off. And that's how a lot of Giants fans feel now about Tiki.

once again, well said. don't expect a response from Jim though, he tends to shy away from debate.

Sorry my friend....I think you're setting yourself up for a big dissapoinment again. I have a funny feeling the Eagles will be hoisting yet another division banner this year. Keep in mind while the Eagles, Giants and Redskins suffered unbelieveable amounts of injuries. The Cowboys only had 1 major injury (Greg Ellis I believe) and still struggled beat the Giants and Redskins.

lets not forget, when the Giants and Cowboys first met. The Giants were heathly, and pretty much wipe the floor with the Dallas Cowboys. in the second meeting, the Giants had (I believe ) 8 starters out due to injuries and Cowboys only manage to beat them by 3 points.

stated that also.

Before he stopped fumbling....my oldest daughter thought his name at 2 years old was "Fumbling ass Tiki Barber" because she said one time in front of her grandmother. I looked at my mom in law and told her "she must have overheard her mother". :LMAO:

Agree with you 100% Booyah. Compared to his twin Ronde...MeMe Barber got to the point where he forgot the flawed early years and started to think of himself as being bigger than the organization. I have had some screwed up bosses...but the one thing I never and will never do is bad mouth an old boss to a new boss. Its just an immature and self defeating thing to do.

Before he stopped fumbling....my oldest daughter thought his name at 2 years old was "Fumbling ass Tiki Barber" because she said one time in front of her grandmother. I looked at my mom in law and told her "she must have overheard her mother". :LMAO:

In my household he was known as motherfucker. As in

"MOTHERFUCKER STOP FUMBLING THE BALL"