SportsWrath

psssst

Lughead

That isn't what you said you said he plays 10-12 games a season.

He has played for 5 seasons. 4 seasons he had 15 games. 1 season he had 9.

Really should check your facts before stating them.

And yes he is often injured, and his production is certainly impacted by playing injured...but he plays injured and even injured he is better than our #2 option.

I like the Boss pick because he is supposed to be a talented receiver and that opens up the options if/when Shockey is limited....Shockey can take some plays off and we don't have stonehands Shiancoe out there.

Lets not quibble over technicalities, Shockey is an injury waiting to happen every year so his statement that he can only stay healthy working out on grass is wrong, because he's been spending his springs down there for a few years and still getting injured.

Oh, and as for him being better injured than our second option, I do not agree, I'd like to look at his stats in those games he was injured, not to mention it's pretty hard to block with a sprained ankle,.

I love Shock, but him being in Joisy is good on a couple levels. Most have been said already but are worth repeating.

1: He creates and confidence level with Eli, it narrows the hesitation to throw to Shock and it eases the friction between them.

2: There is a new OC, there will be different plays, any extra time a QB can have with his receivers is important, wether it's vs a defense or not, hell even if they were in the backyard playing catch. It's common sense that with a new play, the more you practice it the more the passer will be aware of what his receivers can do.

3: Above all, Eli wanted them there. Thats #1. The Franchise QB wants any little bit of extra time he can get with his receivers, especially after 2 years of second half fades.

Is it overblown? Sure it is, that doesn't mean it won't have an effect between the relationships and play of all involved.

• 2 weeks later...

bloglogo.gif shockey_camp.jpg Jeremy Shockey - BigBlueBlogger.com

Surprise at Giants OTAs

By Dan Benton | June 7th, 2007

E-mail | Print | Share

Thanks to Pat Traina from Inside Football for pointing this out to me! She made every attempt for me to get this earlier but I was off attending to a personal issue.

So what’s the big surprise? The one and only Jeremy Shockey was in attendance at the Giants OTAs today. So how did Pat get this interesting tidbit? Well, apparently her attention to detail is impeccable.

While watching the Giants.com OTA video, you can actually see #80 at the 2:07 mark off to the left of Eli Manning.

Considering all the crap he’s gotten for missing certain workouts, it’s time for Shockey to get some kudos. He came in silently and has obviously (as we see on the video) been working with Eli.

If only he could get Plaxico Burress to do the same…

Other Notes:

- The Giants did not offer tender unrestricted free agents Brandon Short, Steve Edwards and Lewis Kelly.

- The team has officially released Sir Henry Anderson and C.J. Cobbs.

- The Giants are going to visit with recently released cornerback Kelly Herndon (Seattle) in the near future.

Shockey even bigger?

Bigger Shockey defends absence

Posted: Saturday June 09, 2007 07:19AM ET

Jeremy Shockey was back on the field yesterday, bouncing around, playfully chiding teammates and injecting a bit of energy into the Giants' organized team activity workouts. Plus, he arrived in East Rutherford weighing a career-high 265 pounds of visibly solid muscle. And he said he's faster than he was at this point last year. The veteran tight end feels he shouldn't have to respond to concerns for the third straight year about his training in Miami for much of the off-season.

From The Star Ledger.

Bulkier Shockey defends absence

Saturday, June 09, 2007

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

Jeremy Shockey was back on the field yesterday, bouncing around, playfully chiding teammates and injecting a bit of energy into the Giants' organized team activity workouts.

Plus, he arrived in East Rutherford weighing a career-high 265 pounds of visibly solid muscle. And he said he's faster than he was at this point last year.

Energetic. Solidly built. And speedy. Three reasons why the veteran tight end feels he shouldn't have to respond to concerns for the third straight year about his training in Miami for much of the off-season.

"It's a slap in my face when people think that I'm trying to do something that betters myself and no one else," Shockey said during a nine-minute session with reporters. "I have to take care of myself in order to better this team.

"Just the fact that people question how hard I work and my character as a person hurts me because I play hurt, I play with broken bones in my body and I'm going to continue to play like that. No matter what I do, it's not good enough for the people up in this area."

Though wide receiver Plaxico Burress was once again absent from the workouts, Shockey was back working with quarterback Eli Manning on Thursday for the first time since he participated in about a week of passing drills last month.

Still, many believe that isn't enough to help a young quarterback who has yet to play consistently for an entire season. Those observers are looking for more leadership from Shockey.

"I think leaders are made in the season, not in the off-season. That's just how I feel," Shockey said. "If we played a game next week, yeah, I'd be here. I'd be the first person in here in the morning and the last to leave if it benefited me that much."

Coach Tom Coughlin apparently still believes having Shockey in town for a longer stretch of time would benefit everyone.

"I'd like to have everybody here," Coughlin said. "Having everybody here helps us because now we move along as a team with no parts missing.

"That's what this is all about -- being able to work yourself through some of the individual stuff and some of the just knowing each other stuff."

Shockey doesn't feel he needs more than a few weeks of such work. And he doesn't expect to change his opinion on the matter anytime in the near future

"I hope people just get used to it because next year it's going to be an issue again and (the following) year it's going to be an issue again," he said.

Notes: FB Jim Finn was absent from practice once again and Coughlin said it's because Finn suffered a shoulder injury recently and is getting it checked out. According to someone who has spoken to Finn recently, the seven-year veteran heard a "pop" while delivering a block in one of the team's first OTA workouts.

The person, who requested anonymity because all injury information is supposed to come from Coughlin, said Finn will likely undergo surgery in the near future. But the person said there's a chance it will be a minor procedure and Finn will be back on the field well before the start of the regular season.

DE Michael Strahan, LB Kawika Mitchell, K Lawrence Tynes and S Jason Bell were absent from yesterday's optional workouts. Strahan is recovering from a foot injury but, according to Coughlin, he might participate in a portion of next week's mandatory minicamp. Coughlin also said WR Amani Toomer (knee) will attempt to participate in a few individual drills while DE Justin Tuck (foot) is expected to remain sidelined.

Mike Garafolo may be reached at

mgarafolo@starledger.com