SportsWrath

Gaints add to front office

LT_True_Blue

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=25558

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Giants general manager Jerry Reese today named Marc Ross as the team’s Director of College Scouting. Ross has been in the NFL for 11 years, including the last three as a national college scout for the Buffalo Bills.

Reese, the Giants’ player personnel director for five years, had continued to do that job since being named general manager on Jan. 16. Reese’s former title of Director of Player Personnel has been eliminated. As college scouting director, Ross will be in charge of the Giants’ college scouting department and the team’s draft.

Director of College Scouting

Marc Ross

“We liked Marc’s skill set,” Reese said. “He has been a college scouting director. He was the youngest college director in the league when he was with the Philadelphia Eagles. So he understands the management and the dynamics of the department. Marc is an outstanding scout himself. We like that about him. All of the references that we called were very high on him. We think he is going to be a perfect fit for us.”

“I’m extremely excited about the opportunity to work with this organization and also work with Jerry,” Ross said. “I hope I can be a part of getting this organization back to the Super Bowl.”

In addition to Ross’ appointment, Reese announced that Jerry Shay, a member of the Giants’ scouting staff since 1977, is the Assistant Director of College Scouting. Veteran scouts Joe Collins, Jeremiah Davis and Steve Verderosa are now executive scouts who will be given increased responsibility.

Ross’ first NFL job was as a public relations training camp intern with the Giants in 1995. After leaving camp, Ross worked in Columbia University’s athletics department.

Ross returned to the NFL with the Eagles’ personnel department during the club’s 1996 training camp. He was the team’s eastern regional scout from 1997 until 2000, when, at age 27, he became the NFL’s youngest college scouting director. During his tenure in Philadelphia, Ross was responsible for drafting outstanding NFL Players such as Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Derrick Burgess.

After seven years with the Eagles’ organization, Ross joined the Bills in the spring of 2004 as a national college scout.

With the Giants, Ross will head a department in which many scouts have been in place for years. But he has no trouble about being at the forefront of such a veteran staff.

“That’s no problem,” Ross said. “I have been scouting in the league since I was 23. I have always had to work with older guys. I was a director at 27 and I had to work with older guys underneath me. If you treat people fairly and with respect and do you your job efficiently and do it well, then age shouldn’t be a big factor.”

Because he is coming from the outside, Ross will deliver a fresh perspective to the scouting department and offer some new thoughts on how to proceed.

“You never want to get stagnant in any department, including the personnel department,” Reese said. “So we look forward to Marc’s new ideas. He has some new ideas and energy. He impressed us with some things that he talked about in the interview process. So we are all looking forward to some new ideas. I don’t want Marc to come in and try to reinvent the wheel. I think we can implement some of our old things that we do well along with some of the new things that he brings to the table for us so we can move forward. We don’t want to get stagnant and sitting still.”

“I think that is why Jerry hired me, to get a different point of view and a different perspective,” Ross said. “I have been in a couple of places that do things entirely different. This is a traditional organization, but I think it is still progressive. I hope to add a different point of view and enhance everything that’s going on.”

Ross was an All-Ivy League wide receiver at Princeton in 1993 and 94. He held five school records, including one as a receiver (a 20.2-yard average per catch in 1993) and four as a punt returner (most career returns, 74; most career return yards, 696; most returns in a season, 32 in 1994 and most yards in a game, 161 on six returns vs. Cornell in 1994).

Ross earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology from Princeton and a master’s degree in sport management from the University of Massachusetts in 1997.

A native of Sahron Hill, Penn., Ross and his wife, Pualani, have a daughter, Skylar, who was born in 2006