SportsWrath

Rumor

Lughead

While Seubert as the asskicking TE was exciting in flashes, I think he is more valuable to the Giants as a lineman. They dont want to experiment with Seubert at TE too much, as a lineman he is solid and he has an attitude to match. Maybe Boss was drafted for that reason. But in anycase, if not Whimper, I think the Giants will be trading for a lineman soon (most likely with Cleveland), because I dont see them working through an entire season with Diehl, Whimper or whoever.

I see it the other way around. Seubert is more valuable as the 6th OL than can play play all three interior positions, as well as a blocking TE. In particular, Jacobs becoming the primary RB enhances Seubert's value as the blocking TE, as it makes our new power running game more potent. The depth and versatility that Seubert brings to the table are extremely rare and difficult to replace, which is why I hope he stays in his current role.

Also, I wouldn't get too excited about Kevin Shaffer. Maybe he's a good insurance policy, but if he's brought here to start, our problems aren't solved. The Brown signed him last year to a $36 million deal, yet the took a LT with 3rd choice in the draft (instead of Brady Quinn) and are now looking to unload him. He's just not that good, and I'm not convinced he's better than what we currently have...

I see it the other way around. Seubert is more valuable as the 6th OL than can play play all three interior positions, as well as a blocking TE. In particular, Jacobs becoming the primary RB enhances Seubert's value as the blocking TE, as it makes our new power running game more potent. The depth and versatility that Seubert brings to the table are extremely rare and difficult to replace, which is why I hope he stays in his current role.

Also, I wouldn't get too excited about Kevin Shaffer. Maybe he's a good insurance policy, but if he's brought here to start, our problems aren't solved. The Brown signed him last year to a $36 million deal, yet the took a LT with 3rd choice in the draft (instead of Brady Quinn) and are now looking to unload him. He's just not that good, and I'm not convinced he's better than what we currently have...

You are not convinced because he simply is not better than what we have, I have said it before and I will say it again I think that Diehl will be a dependable LT. He is durable and his experience along the O line will only help him. In an ideal world Whimper makes that jump to starter and Diehl stays at LG and Seubert remains that valuable commodity you speak of.

No, Im not salivating over Shaffer. Its just that I feel we will be more secure with Shaffer since he has had starting experience and might be more stable than Whimper or Seubert at LT. Plus, the Browns O-line has sucked balls for quite sometime now and I really like what the Giants OL coach did with the personnel he was given. Maybe Shaffer will be more effective with the Giants than he was with the Browns. But honestly, who do you think would be the safe choice between Shaffer, Whimper (whom we dont know about) and Seubert (another experiment) ? I feel Shaffer (assuming he comes cheap obviously) will be able to last the entire season.

False starts are a drive killer.... I just hope they can keep Seubert as the asskickin blocking tight end... When we would come in to the game and go into motion the holes he created were big enough for me to run through, Give Bj a head of steam going into the LBers will spell some big time runs.

So ummm.. false starts are more of a drive killer than your starting quarterback, the team leader, getting blindsided and fumbling...? I think not. Letting Luke go was a stupid, stupid idea.

We all want Eli to succeed yet aside from picking up whiny players at WR and also guys that havent produced at WR in the draft, the front office does nothing to help Eli out. Get him some damn protection. Oh, and Coughlin, stop putting the offense entirely on Eli's shoulders every game...he's no Peyton Manning.

No, Im not salivating over Shaffer. Its just that I feel we will be more secure with Shaffer since he has had starting experience and might be more stable than Whimper or Seubert at LT. Plus, the Browns O-line has sucked balls for quite sometime now and I really like what the Giants OL coach did with the personnel he was given. Maybe Shaffer will be more effective with the Giants than he was with the Browns. But honestly, who do you think would be the safe choice between Shaffer, Whimper (whom we dont know about) and Seubert (another experiment) ? I feel Shaffer (assuming he comes cheap obviously) will be able to last the entire season.

I agree that Shaffer would be a decent pick-up for the sake of security. We would not have to pay any of his bonus money (the Browns would), and IIRC his base salary this year isn't exorbitant at all. At worst, he'd a be relatively low cost investment (depending on how much we'd have to give up in a trade) that could compete for the starting LT spot.

I'm not sure if Shaffer would be better here than he was in Cleveland. Maybe the change of scenary and new coaching will improve his game, but he came up through that Broncos zone blocking system in Atlanta. If the Giants are looking to implement more of a power rushing attack, he's not the best fit. You're right that Shaffer is probably a safer choice than Whimper by virtue of experience, but the worthy starter would be decided in training camp and preseason. If the price is right, I think it's a worthwhile gamble for the sake of competition and depth.

I agree that Shaffer would be a decent pick-up for the sake of security. We would not have to pay any of his bonus money (the Browns would), and IIRC his base salary this year isn't exorbitant at all. At worst, he'd a be relatively low cost investment (depending on how much we'd have to give up in a trade) that could compete for the starting LT spot.

I'm not sure if Shaffer would be better here than he was in Cleveland. Maybe the change of scenary and new coaching will improve his game, but he came up through that Broncos zone blocking system in Atlanta. If the Giants are looking to implement more of a power rushing attack, he's not the best fit. You're right that Shaffer is probably a safer choice than Whimper by virtue of experience, but the worthy starter would be decided in training camp and preseason. If the price is right, I think it's a worthwhile gamble for the sake of competition and depth.

Wouldn't that be more of a concern for a Guard than a Tackle? Zone or not, the LT's job is pretty much the same: Engage the DE.

Wouldn't that be more of a concern for a Guard than a Tackle? Zone or not, the LT's job is pretty much the same: Engage the DE.

In terms of pass blocking, the differences aren't that great; however, the differences in run blocking are much more profound than that. In a zone blocking scheme, you want guys to be better technicians, more mobile, and skilled at getting to the second level. That applies to every OL. The Giants run blocking scheme calls for more drive blocking and generating more movement along the LOS, something Luke was terrific at. During the Falcons game, for example, we ran at will off of the left edge, something that couldn't have been accomplished without a powerful drive blocker at LT. Judging by Shaffer's background, he won't be great in that role.