SportsWrath

Rumor

Lughead

It's in the paper this morning that he texted Eli to say he'll be up next week.

depends on what paper you get I guess ? morning paper ? whats that we get ours at around 3:30 pm

There might be some hope left for this team after all. If this is true and Plax and Shockey spend this preseason in NJ working out with Eli....well Eli has no more excuses left he better have his breakout season.

There might be some hope left for this team after all. If this is true and Plax and Shockey spend this preseason in NJ working out with Eli....well Eli has no more excuses left he better have his breakout season.

trust me, he could still have some excuses left...such as having no one at left tackle to protect his blindside, which he doesnt...

trust me, he could still have some excuses left...such as having no one at left tackle to protect his blindside, which he doesnt...

ditto, let's hope diehl somehow puts it together...

ditto, let's hope diehl somehow puts it together...

left tackle is honestly the position im most concerned about, i hate petitgout but at least he could be solid...now we have no one that is proven.

left tackle is honestly the position im most concerned about, i hate petitgout but at least he could be solid...now we have no one that is proven.

Diehl played RT for some time...filled in at LT last season...I am not saying he is the best or even great, but I think given steady time at the position he could do the job.

Diehl played RT for some time...filled in at LT last season...I am not saying he is the best or even great, but I think given steady time at the position he could do the job.

then technically, eli might need time, too....waiting for his line to develop. our worst mistake this offseason was not picking up offensive line help.

then technically, eli might need time, too....waiting for his line to develop. our worst mistake this offseason was not picking up offensive line help.

Who should we have gotten? Leonard Davis? Eric Steinbach? What player was available that would be worth the outrageous contracts awarded this offseason?

Who should we have gotten? Leonard Davis? Eric Steinbach? What player was available that would be worth the outrageous contracts awarded this offseason?

I think we need an explanation as to why Luke was let go, if not to create cap room for a star signing or to make way for Whimper. Injuries? He can't be too bad off if Tampa signed him. If Whimper's not ready to step up, and Luke is fit to play, then Reese made a huge error. Luke certainly had his shortfallings but he was our best option for this season IMO.

Totally. Eli gets a free pass this year. "No Left Tackle" and "Coughlin and Gilbride suck."

I'm not saying those aren't valid reasons, but get ready to hear a lot of it if Eli plays like he has in his first two seasons as a starter.

Totally. Eli gets a free pass this year. "No Left Tackle" and "Coughlin and Gilbride suck."

I'm not saying those aren't valid reasons, but get ready to hear a lot of it if Eli plays like he has in his first two seasons as a starter.

like what, leading his team to two playoff berths...? im just not an eli hater. it could be a lot worse. we could have collins or dave brown or even kurt warner.

I think we need an explanation as to why Luke was let go, if not to create cap room for a star signing or to make way for Whimper. Injuries? He can't be too bad off if Tampa signed him. If Whimper's not ready to step up, and Luke is fit to play, then Reese made a huge error. Luke certainly had his shortfallings but he was our best option for this season IMO.

yah thats exactly how i feel.

I'm still at a loss for why he was released, and you did a nice job summarizing the proposed explanations. I'll add one more: maybe he was one of those "anonymous" guys trashing Coughlin each week, or serving as a divisive locker room force in some capacity. Total speculation on my part, and I only suggest it because there were whispers here and there that Luke and Coughlin did not see eye-to-eye. Then again, Coughlin suggested that he was 'surprised' that Luke was released, which -- if true -- indicates (1) the decision was made above him by Reese, and (2) Luke must not have been that much of an anti-Coughlin guy if Tom wasn't the driving force behind his release. So, in short, I don't know.

As perplexing as the decision was, until Luke's release looks like full-fledged mistake, I will give Reese the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he didn't do it to be whimsical. Could be as a simple as Reese exercising his younger/healthier strategy. But I suspect it was more complex than that...

I'm still at a loss for why he was released, and you did a nice job summarizing the proposed explanations. I'll add one more: maybe he was one of those "anonymous" guys trashing Coughlin each week, or serving as a divisive locker room force in some capacity. Total speculation on my part, and I only suggest it because there were whispers here and there that Luke and Coughlin did not see eye-to-eye. Then again, Coughlin suggested that he was 'surprised' that Luke was released, which -- if true -- indicates (1) the decision was made above him by Reese, and (2) Luke must not have been that much of an anti-Coughlin guy if Tom wasn't the driving force behind his release. So, in short, I don't know.

As perplexing as the decision was, until Luke's release looks like full-fledged mistake, I will give Reese the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he didn't do it to be whimsical. Could be as a simple as Reese exercising his younger/healthier strategy. But I suspect it was more complex than that...

If it was because Luke was injury prone, which he obviously was, I really dont understand it because we are having a guy coming off a shattered leg(albeit it was a couple years ago but still, Seubert hasnt been getting much playing time since) come into to start at a position where Diehl is exceptional and in turn, moving Diehl to a position he isn't use to playing, possibly the most important position on the line...the release made no sense to me.

I have a feeling it was because he was injury prone and Reese felt expecting a full season at LT from Luke was futile. So instead of carrying on with the 'iffy job' at LT, and to free up cap room he was let go and they decided to groom a starter at LT who will lock that position down for years to come. I was hoping Whimper is that guy. If he really has improved as much as what reports we are getting in training camp we might not have to sit around farting with Diehl at RT (though he might not suck entirely).Whimper seems to be holding a major piece to the puzzle for this season. That and Kiwi at LB.

How 'bout this?

TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........vTWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........TWEET......False start, #77, offence, 5 yard penalty, still 1st down........

I love the guy, love O-line continuity, but.......could the above have ANYTHING to do with being cut???

I don't know if the false starts where that big of an issue. He had 10 in 2005 and only 3 in 2006. Those aren't insane numbers (amount to about 1 every 2 games), and false starts are directly rooted in concentration, so it's an issue that's correctable. Plus, even taking into consideration the penalties, I think we could all agree that had quality of play was pretty good for a starting LT.

Storm, I don't know if cutting Petitgout necessarily means Diehl will play LT and Seubert will play LG. Based on quotes from Reese and Coughlin, I get the impression that Plan A is Whimper stepping into the starting line-up. If he's not up to the task, then Diehl or a yet-to-be-acquired veteran would be Plan B. In either case, I have a tough time believing that out LT situation will be better than it was with Petitigout.

I love the guy, love O-line continuity, but.......could the above have ANYTHING to do with being cut???

Sure, it probably had a major part in the decision. I'm just waiting to see what the better option is supposed to be.

False starts are a drive killer.... I just hope they can keep Seubert as the asskickin blocking tight end... When we would come in to the game and go into motion the holes he created were big enough for me to run through, Give Bj a head of steam going into the LBers will spell some big time runs.

False starts are a drive killer.... I just hope they can keep Seubert as the asskickin blocking tight end... When we would come in to the game and go into motion the holes he created were big enough for me to run through, Give Bj a head of steam going into the LBers will spell some big time runs.

While Seubert as the asskicking TE was exciting in flashes, I think he is more valuable to the Giants as a lineman. They dont want to experiment with Seubert at TE too much, as a lineman he is solid and he has an attitude to match. Maybe Boss was drafted for that reason. But in anycase, if not Whimper, I think the Giants will be trading for a lineman soon (most likely with Cleveland), because I dont see them working through an entire season with Diehl, Whimper or whoever.

The best thing to hear on a short yardage play, "Number 69 is an eligable reciever." :clap: