SportsWrath

Florida Marlins @ NY Mets 7:10pm

Plax 4 Prez

Doing my job... ^_^

Orlando Hernandez has helped the New York Mets overcome injuries this season. Now he's dealing with one of his own.

A sore shoulder could keep Hernandez from starting Monday night as the Mets look to continue their dominance of the Florida Marlins this season in the opener of a three-game series.

Hernandez (2-1, 2.53 ERA) flew to New York on Sunday to have the pain in his pitching shoulder checked out. The right-hander told the Mets (15-8) about the problem when he arrived at RFK Stadium before Sunday's 1-0 win over Washington.

"We'll see what the doctor says," New York general manager Omar Minaya said.

Minaya didn't say what the team would do if Hernandez isn't able to start against the Marlins (11-13). One possibility could be to push Mike Pelfrey up a day from his scheduled outing Tuesday.

Hernandez has given up two runs or less in four of his five starts, boosting a Mets staff that's missing ace Pedro Martinez and top setup man Duaner Sanchez, both because of shoulder injuries. Also, reliever Guillermo Mota won't be available to pitch until at least late May after he tested positive last year for a performance-enhancing substance.

Hernandez gave up four hits and struck out five in seven shutout innings, but did not factor in the decision as the Mets beat Colorado 2-1 on Tuesday night.

In his previous start, Hernandez allowed two runs -- one earned -- and three hits while striking out 10 in seven innings to earn the victory as the Mets beat the Marlins 11-3 on April 19. He's 3-1 with a 4.07 ERA in four starts against Florida.

The Mets had just three hits -- including a solo home run from Carlos Beltran -- in Sunday's game, as they rested struggling first baseman Carlos Delgado (.187 batting average) and catcher Paul Lo Duca. Both players should be back in the lineup Monday against a Marlins team New York outscored 20-5 en route to wins on April 19 and 20.

"I know what I need to fix. I haven't fixed it yet. I feel like I'm rushing, pulling off," Delgado said.

The Mets were also without second baseman Jose Valentin (right knee) on Sunday, as he traveled to New York to have an MRI on his right knee after leaving Saturday's game in the fourth inning. His status for Monday is uncertain.

Florida has lost three of five following a three-game winning streak.

After collecting 32 hits in their previous two games, the Marlins didn't have any through six innings against Jamie Moyer on Sunday and ended up with four in a 6-1 loss to Philadelphia. Florida entered the game with a hit in 21 straight innings.

The Marlins will send Scott Olsen (2-1, 6.23 ERA) to the mound Monday. The left-hander is coming off his strongest start of the season, but did not receive a decision after giving up three runs and eight hits while striking out 10 in Florida's 4-3 win over Atlanta on Wednesday night.

Olsen has a 3.81 ERA and no decisions in four starts against the Mets.

Anyone who is surprised by El Duque making a stint on the DL is a fucking idiot. So I'm not complaining.

Omar HAD to be prepared for something like this. We better make sure El Duque comes back 120%. I don't care if he comes back right before the all star break.

Will the Mets destroy the Marlins?

Will Park get lit up?

Will the Mets win in spite of it if he does?

Will the Mets lose and lose big?

Will Park pitch one of the best games of his career?

Will the Mets lose anyway?

Will the Mets destroy the Marlins?

Will Park get lit up?

Will the Mets win in spite of it if he does?

Will the Mets lose and lose big?

Will Park pitch one of the best games of his career?

Will the Mets lose anyway?

Should have brought up Jorge Sosa. :(

Is Burgos this years Armando Benitiez?

Only comes in when up by 3 runs or down by 3 runs

No, because unfortunately, Armando would come in with a 1 run lead, and leave down by 3 runs.

It's starting to get alarming at how putrid David Wright has been. 0 homers, 6 rbis, 245, 1 homer in his last 45 home games <_<

There is no reason for David Newhan to be on this team BTW, he has no redeeminh qualities as a ballplayer.

It's starting to get alarming at how putrid David Wright has been. 0 homers, 6 rbis, 245, 1 homer in his last 45 home games <_>

There is no reason for David Newhan to be on this team BTW, he has no redeeminh qualities as a ballplayer.

I do remember Jeter hitting .180 well into May, he'll come through. Hopefully anyway.

I do remember Jeter hitting .180 well into May, he'll come through. Hopefully anyway.

No one wants to talk about it, but this has been going on since last July. He had 20 homers at the break, exactly 6 since and like I said, 1 at home in 45 games. Its time to start being alarmed.

As for Jeters bad start, that was 2004 and he had been in the league many years, I am wondering if holes have been discovered in Wrights swing? :mellow:

No one wants to talk about it, but this has been going on since last July. He had 20 homers at the break, exactly 6 since and like I said, 1 at home in 45 games. Its time to start being alarmed.

As for Jeters bad start, that was 2004 and he had been in the league many years, I am wondering if holes have been discovered in Wrights swing? :mellow:

He's too self-indulged in being in the top of fantasy rankings, being up there for home runs and RBIs. I dont care what he says in interviews, stats do mean something to him.

I miss the times where he smacks a line drive between 1st and second into right field. Those were the sweetest hits watching. Has he had one of those this year?

Maybe a 4 game trip to Arizona will do the trick.

I've said it many times, I wish I knew what was wrong with him.

I've said it many times, I wish I knew what was wrong with him.

couple things I notice, but I suppose they ar obvious

1)too much upper cut, watch when he swings and misses, he is back on his heals, the bat loops through the zone and there is no power from anywhere but his uppe cut swinging arms.

2)totally getting beaten from two halfs of the plate. He is pulling everything and when he does not swing and miss the outside pitch, he pulls it weakly to the left side. Conversly when pitched inside he is not inside outing the ball as he did in the past, rather upper cutting and attempting to pull, usually resulting in pop ups or outs like we saw in his first at bat tonight.

3)no power, thats alarming and I do not know why?