SportsWrath

The Aftermath

Virginia Giant

So what are the thoughts of the draft?

1: Aaron Ross CB Texas - Would have liked to see either taking Poz (even though I started having doubts about him) or trade up to Denvers pick to take Leon Hall cause i knew he wouldn't make it past Cincy or Tennessee.

2: Steve Smith WR USC - Concensus seems to be everyone likes the pick. I felt this was a luxury pick, i really think we're pretty good at WR if Amani and Moss stay healthy. But I admit it's nice to have another option and he does seem to have a lot of game experience and we're not basing the pick off 1 good senior year.

3: Jay Alford DT Penn State - I'm a fan of adding depth to your D line, they are the hardest workers on the field and the biggest guys at the same time. I have a feeling with Kiwi possibly moving to OLB, this guy could end up at end. Either way he's another man to throw into the rotation at either position so it's win win unless he simply can't play.

4: Zak Deossie OLB Brown - Apparently athletic, good size and speed, athleticism doesn't always translate to good football players though. At least we did get a LB though.

5: Kevin Boss TE Western Oregon - Interesting pick, basically a dumbed down version of Shockey.l This is really the most interesting pick to me, it could either be a way to push Shock or a signal that he's out the door, or simply a reliable fill in in case Shock gets hurt. I love Shock, but this guy is supposed to be able to catch a greased pig. At first i hated the idea of drafting another pass catching TE, but it does make sense with Shockey's injury's and attitude. I'd really like to see this as a challenge to Shock and see his rise to another level, and run two TE sets with Shock and Boss in the red zone, that'd be killer.

6: Adam Koets OT Oregon State - Most likely won't make the team, especially if we can find a reliable LT somewhere. If Whimper becomes the starter though, that could change.

7: Michael johnson S Arizona - I actually like this pick, he's a ball hawk with good size, but as with most late rounders, he's a project.

7: (comp) Ahmad Bradshaw RB Marshall - I really hate to say it, like someone else said, but this guy does have a lot of Tiki in him out of college. Insinctive and upfield runner who can catch passes well. Not exceptionally fast but he is a worhty player for this pick.

All in all, I think there is 3 or 4 guys who can make a significant impact this season in Ross, Smith, Boss and possibly Alford. There's a few porjects with Johnson and Bradshaw actually having a chance to be decent in the future. not a bad first draft for reese, most of us would have done things differently but I guess we can't complain much when all our problem areas were somewhat adressed.

Why did we pass on Pozluzsny?? :confused:

I guess they felt CB was a bigger concern, especially since they knew they were moving kiwi to OLB. I would have liked to take Poz and then Wright in the second, but i guess Ross and Smith have a good chance tro help right away.

I guess they felt CB was a bigger concern, especially since they knew they were moving kiwi to OLB. I would have liked to take Poz and then Wright in the second, but i guess Ross and Smith have a good chance tro help right away.

Lets hope you are right. But seriously, Id have creamed my pants if we had landed Poz. Oh well, lets hope atleast 4-5 of them can make an impact and soon.

5: Kevin Boss TE Western Oregon - Interesting pick, basically a dumbed down version of Shockey.l This is really the most interesting pick to me, it could either be a way to push Shock or a signal that he's out the door, or simply a reliable fill in in case Shock gets hurt. I love Shock, but this guy is supposed to be able to catch a greased pig. At first i hated the idea of drafting another pass catching TE, but it does make sense with Shockey's injury's and attitude. I'd really like to see this as a challenge to Shock and see his rise to another level, and run two TE sets with Shock and Boss in the red zone, that'd be killer.

I don't know if you could make a "dumbed down" version of Shockey, he's borderline retarted as it is. I do think that the reason they drafted this kid is because he's a big guy that can block better than Shockey & relieve him on a few downs (thus easing the wear & tear) as I think he's atheletic enough to get open & help out when Shockey is off the field.

Why did we pass on Pozluzsny?? :confused:

Good CB's don't grow on trees, you can make up for an average LB corps if you have a good/great D-line but if you can't cover a reciever it's not gonna matter how good the rest of the defensive side of the ball is.

Good CB's don't grow on trees, you can make up for an average LB corps if you have a good/great D-line but if you can't cover a reciever it's not gonna matter how good the rest of the defensive side of the ball is.

True, but our recent of history of evaluating CBs has been attrocious and everytime they pick a CB with a top pick I get a little jittery.

The Wills sucked ass like nobody's business. Webster is playing like a bum and has shown no improvement. Madison belongs in an asylum. I hope Ross changes all that.

I don't know if you could make a "dumbed down" version of Shockey, he's borderline retarted as it is. I do think that the reason they drafted this kid is because he's a big guy that can block better than Shockey & relieve him on a few downs (thus easing the wear & tear) as I think he's atheletic enough to get open & help out when Shockey is off the field.

From what i've read he's not a good blocker.

So what are the thoughts of the draft?

7: (comp) Ahmad Bradshaw RB Marshall - I really hate to say it, like someone else said, but this guy does have a lot of Tiki in him out of college. Insinctive and upfield runner who can catch passes well. Not exceptionally fast but he is a worthy player for this pick.

.....I guess we can't complain much when all our problem areas were somewhat adressed.

Yes!

I tend to want to believe that Boss will be a better 2nd TE than Visantie(sp) was. As far as Shockey having an attitude or being 'pushed out' I don't see it happening. Unless the Giants luck up and get an Antonio Gates.

True, but our recent of history of evaluating CBs has been attrocious and everytime they pick a CB with a top pick I get a little jittery.

The Wills sucked ass like nobody's business. Webster is playing like a bum and has shown no improvement. Madison belongs in an asylum. I hope Ross changes all that.

Exactly, all the more reason to pick a CB. Madison and Webster suck. Pierce and Mitchell don't suck at least. And Kiwanuka is going to be ill at LB, mark my words.

TE had to be addressed: The cupboard was completely empty, especially if Seubert is starting at guard. This doesn't have any real impact on Shockey at all, unless he comes in totally out of shape and forgets the playbook. If he winds up better than Schiancoe, then the pick is a success.

I don't know if you could make a "dumbed down" version of Shockey, he's borderline retarted as it is.

Get...out...of...my...head... :P

If taking a CB in the 1st was a prelude to the Kiwi moving to LB announcement (which I don't like at all), was picking a WR in the 2nd a sign that Amani may not be healing as well as we hoped?

I don't know if you parallel this. We needed a CB, and there's been talk of Kiwi to LB for months now. I'm sort of warming up to the idea--even with Tuck as the starting DE, having Kiwi coming on a blitz as well could spell a long day for opposing olines.

But with WR, we also had to replace Carter, and although we could have done that by simply burning paychecks, it's nice to see them attempt to bring a player in instead. Either way, Toomer isn't going to be around for too many more years, so it's a good idea to get replacements in now.

Will Peterson was a good CB that was injury-prone. Allen was meh, but his biggest problem was he couldn't catch a disease.

Tim Lewis had the worst secondary schemes I've ever seen, so I wouldn't be so quick to judge Webster. Let's see what happens this year.

If taking a CB in the 1st was a prelude to the Kiwi moving to LB announcement (which I don't like at all), was picking a WR in the 2nd a sign that Amani may not be healing as well as we hoped?

I think the thought of us drafting Smith only if Toomer doesn't make it back is a bit short-sighted. Toomer is getting old and will retire soon. If anything, Toomer can be a great mentor for Smith. Besides, we traded (I forgot his name) to Cleveland.

TE had to be addressed: The cupboard was completely empty, especially if Seubert is starting at guard. This doesn't have any real impact on Shockey at all, unless he comes in totally out of shape and forgets the playbook. If he winds up better than Schiancoe, then the pick is a success.

I agree TE needed to be addressed, but another catching TE? Blocking TE is what we needed. I think this pick has a little more to do with being a wake up call to Shockey than you think.

I agree TE needed to be addressed, but another catching TE? Blocking TE is what we needed. I think this pick has a little more to do with being a wake up call to Shockey than you think.

We needed both. Otherwise, what were we going to do when Shockey has his annual game off, or more? I don't think he's ever gone a full 16, has he?

We could still (possibly) use a blocking TE.

Thumper, I just think it's insurance. Shockey plays hurt and misses lots of time. This kid is extremely athletic, is like 6'7" & can jump 35" and he can run with the ball. I think it was a great pick. If DeOssie played for a major college he'd a been a 1st round pick. I love the kid.

he's had 1 major injury(shoulder) that side lined him for 6 games and a deep thigh bruise. You guys are making him out to be Tim Carter. :LMAO:

When did I do anything like that?

And if I were making a case that Shockey is like Carter I would have also pointed out that he has had at least two seasons now that I can remember where he was dogging an injury all season long limiting his productivity, that stupid ankle injury this past season being the most recent.

When did I do anything like that?

And if I were making a case that Shockey is like Carter I would have also pointed out that he has had at least two seasons now that I can remember where he was dogging an injury all season long limiting his productivity, that stupid ankle injury this past season being the most recent.

:doh: I thought you guys were talking about Boss... :unsure: