SportsWrath

not another de Ossie....dammit

boohyah

I haven't gotten to see too much about Zak De Ossie, but his old man was a pivotal piece of our Super Bowl 25 run, and was quite a character in the locker room, to boot.

For that alone, I give kudos to Reese. :clap:

He's pretty quick for his size too. That should make Nem happy.

From NFL.com

Positives: Has a big frame with long arms and legs, good chest thickness, good overall muscle tone, well-developed thighs and calves and room on his frame to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk for a potential move to defensive end at the next level … Has excellent timed speed for a player of his size and shows good urgency chasing down the ball … Vocal leader on the field who works hard in the weight room and spends extra hours studying film … Lacks the strength you would expect from a player his size, struggling at times to shed, but can beat his opponent with quickness and active hand placement to slip off blocks … Decent short-area pass defender who keeps his hands inside the frame to jolt and try to re-route tight ends and backs … Move-oriented type of tackler with the sudden burst to give chase from the backside … Has the range to make plays along the sidelines and shows very good lateral agility to flow to the ball … Effective at locating and shutting down the cutback lanes … Uses his hands well to protect from the low blocks … Relentless in pursuit, kicking into second gear to consistently make cross-field tackles … Has the lateral agility to go wide in pursuit and the closing speed to drag down ball carriers at the opposite end of the field … Takes proper angles in attempts to close on the pocket and has the loose hips to change directions quickly … Better edge rusher than when working in-line, as he has the second gear and sudden moves to surprise a lethargic offensive lineman … Shows the same bloodlines as his father, taking over long-snapping chores in 2006 … Also is a capable wedge buster on the special team coverage units.

Negatives: Tends to out-think himself at times, which leads him to take himself out of position in run support … His over-eagerness to shed blocks will cause him to get locked out and he lacks the upper-body strength to prevent from being ridden out by double team action … Lacks a good feel for reading keys and will take false steps (constantly fooled by pump fakes and misdirection) … Lacks a feel for blocking schemes and despite his quickness, he is more of a waist bender, resulting in him losing balance and body control when he tries to recover after out-running the play … Needs to diagnose the in-line blocking schemes better, as he can be caught up in traffic (fails to slip blocks and gets road-graded when he doesn't keep his hands active in attempts to protect his body) … Struggles to shed blocks when he gets too tall in his stance, as blockers get good success attacking his chest … Leaves his feet too much when trying to tackle and seems to try to punish the opponent on every play, rather than wrapping and securing … Goes to the ground at times when he plays out of control … Slow to react to the pass, especially when dropping back in the zone (struggles to locate the ball or track the pass in flight) … Very good at generating backside pursuit, but loses sight of the quarterback and fails to seal the deal (better pressuring the pocket than sacking the quarterback) … Has a tough time diagnosing the inside rush lanes, leading to a handful of missed tackles, as he will run right into the lead blocker, but gets steamrolled due to marginal lower body strength to anchor.

Compares To: Mike Vrabel, New England -- Like Vrabel, DeOssie can play a variety of positions … He can be utilized as an edge rusher on the line, shift outside to linebacker in a base defense or shift inside in a 3-4 alignment … He has exceptional quickness for a player of his size and is adding value as a long-snapper and wedge buster on special teams … But he has marginal awareness for locating the ball and a poor feel for blocking schemes … His frame looks like he could lift the weight room, but he plays soft and is often absorbed by double teams … He might be better suited for defensive end in the pro ranks, as he appears too stiff in his pass drops to be counted on in man coverage … But, he needs to improve his overall strength and be more alert to blockers to prevent from being road-graded.

I just hope we didn't get another Chase Blackburn. On top of that he's a long snapper which maybe make you wonder if resigning Ryan Kuehl was smart. I hate it when we have guys that specialize for one play, if you have a guy that can cover 2 areas it free's up roster spots.

By the way, I don't mind Chase Blackburn, as long as he doesnt' start.

I haven't gotten to see too much about Zak De Ossie, but his old man was a pivotal piece of our Super Bowl 25 run, and was quite a character in the locker room, to boot.

For that alone, I give kudos to Reese. :clap:

pivotal is a stretch but he was always good for a sound byte.

I can't believe Rufus Alexander is still there. If we could get him in rnd 6 I will shit my pants.

Biography:

Three-year starter awarded All-Conference and All-American honors as a senior. Totals last year were 117/14/2, with three interceptions. Junior numbers included 102/17/5, when he broke up nine passes.

Pos:

Athletic, playmaking linebacker best suited for a one-gap system. Instinctive, displays good awareness and remains disciplined with assignments. Quickly fills gaps up the field, gets depth on drops and covers a lot of area in space. Immediately changes direction, possesses a closing burst and can run with

Neg:

Can be slowed at the point by blocks or swallowed up altogether by opponents. Has shown a propensity to take plays off in the past.