SportsWrath

Whispers

so-cal dub

Whispers Around the NFL Draft By Hazem Kiswani - April 21st, 2007

Here we are, a week away from the draft, and rumors are flying. Twelve phone calls and a couple of E-mails since the morning have me thinking this draft is going to be filled with controversial picks and some serious surprises. Here's what I know as of 6 P.M today..

- The Raiders are LOCKED in on Calvin Johnson, unless they can get a load of day one draft picks in return for the number 1 pick. Kiffin has been talking to Davis about moving Randy Moss, and Al claims to like Trent Edwards more than both Brady Quinn and JaMarcus Russell, although many within the organization feel Davis is looking for an “excuse” to take the WR from Georgia Tech number 1 overall.

- Offensive tackle Joe Staley from Central Michigan is the talk of the NFL. There are several teams in the top 20 that have Staley at the top of the board, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the top 12-15 picks, and maybe even top 10.

- Jon Beason, linebacker from Miami, is climbing ahead of both Paul Posluszny and Lawerence Timmons on many teams boards. Many scouts feel he is the best “football player” of the three, and he seems to have the best chance to be the second linebacker selected after Patrick Willis of Ole Miss.

- Alan Branch continues to see his stock drop. Considered a sure-fire top ten pick a month ago, Branch is likely to be on the board in the bottom half of the first round.

- Dwayne Jarrett may be taken off the board earlier than expected. There are said to be three teams in the top 20 that have their eyes on Jarrett, and he may very well be gone by the time the Giants pick at 20.

- There is quiet concern around the New York Giants front office. Behind closed doors, Jerry Reese is not happy about the way free agency has went, and continues to make phone calls around the league trying to use the trade to improve this roster. Reese is said to have five or six players on his radar for round 1. If he doesn't like what's available at 20, you can expect a call to the Chicago Bears about LB Lance Briggs. According to sources, Reese will make a strong push for the pro-bowler if the chips don't fall his way on draft day.

- As stated by Jerry Reese himself, Al Wilson is still an option for the Giants. A small contract with the opportunity to prove himself is the most Wilson will get however, and if he is willing to step back on the field in that situation, it will likely be with the New York Giants.

Hmmmmm.....

- The Raiders are LOCKED in on Calvin Johnson, unless they can get a load of day one draft picks in return for the number 1 pick. Kiffin has been talking to Davis about moving Randy Moss, and Al claims to like Trent Edwards more than both Brady Quinn and JaMarcus Russell,

Would not surprise me

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- There is quiet concern around the New York Giants front office. Behind closed doors, Jerry Reese is not happy about the way free agency has went, and continues to make phone calls around the league trying to use the trade to improve this roster. Reese is said to have five or six players on his radar for round 1. If he doesn't like what's available at 20, you can expect a call to the Chicago Bears about LB Lance Briggs. According to sources, Reese will make a strong push for the pro-bowler if the chips don't fall his way on draft day.

- As stated by Jerry Reese himself, Al Wilson is still an option for the Giants. A small contract with the opportunity to prove himself is the most Wilson will get however, and if he is willing to step back on the field in that situation, it will likely be with the New York Giants.

Eh...I don't wanna beleive this. Giants seem 'cheap' and "thrifty' this year. And Al Wilson would be another Lavar Arrington...a potential injury waiting to happen.

really good read there. I rather move down 5 spots though.

Me, too. At this point, I don't think Briggs is going to make a difference this season. I'd rather collect round 2 picks and see what happens.

I'm not condemning what Reese has done this year, but I just don't see enough quality in the players available.

Me, too. At this point, I don't think Briggs is going to make a difference this season. I'd rather collect round 2 picks and see what happens.

I'm not condemning what Reese has done this year, but I just don't see enough quality in the players available.

Yep exactly. I don't know what to think of this coming year. For some reason, I am not optimistic about it. We need to have a good draft. I would love moving to the 25th spot and pick up an extra second rounder and maybe a third or fourth. There still will be quality players available at 20 and if most are gone from our board, then move up.

"Jerry Reese is not happy about the way free agency has went," Geez I don't know who Kazeem Hiswani is but he needs a few grammar lessons IMO.

I don't see us getting Briggs unless Reese is willing to give up the Farm. But who knows.

"Jerry Reese is not happy about the way free agency has went," Geez I don't know who Kazeem Hiswani is but he needs a few grammar lessons IMO.

I don't see us getting Briggs unless Reese is willing to give up the Farm. But who knows.

Grammar is dead. it was killed by the way of internet chat rooms , forums and instant messengers.

what makes you think moss is more team oriented then plax?

Moss thrived with the Vikings. He's in a terrible situation right now with the Raiders, I think we can agree on that. The guy though a hot head at times plays with passion. I think he's an upgrade over Moss in every which way.

Moss thrived with the Vikings. He's in a terrible situation right now with the Raiders, I think we can agree on that. The guy though a hot head at times plays with passion. I think he's an upgrade over Moss in every which way.

sorry, but if you think moss will be great attitude wise with us then your crazy.

Nas, Randy Moss would be a huge mistake with the Giants. He went to the Radiers and they sucked for the 2 years he's been there. A player with his ability should make the team better and carry them a little, Moss took the route and sulked and played poorly. Talented or not, why would you want him?

Green Bay have been making noise about him, but even if he went there it would only be because of Favre. If Favre finally has his last cry (faker!!) and retires next year, Moss won't want to be there.

How many times did Moss walk off of the field during a game when he was with the Vikings?

Free Agency has gone poorly, huh...probably should've thought about that before giving Coughlin his 1-year extension. No player wants to play for a lame duck coach. It's pretty much win a playoff game or hit the road for Coughlin. Not a situation a player necessarily wants to be in.

Nas, Randy Moss would be a huge mistake with the Giants. He went to the Radiers and they sucked for the 2 years he's been there. A player with his ability should make the team better and carry them a little, Moss took the route and sulked and played poorly. Talented or not, why would you want him?

Green Bay have been making noise about him, but even if he went there it would only be because of Favre. If Favre finally has his last cry (faker!!) and retires next year, Moss won't want to be there.

Because he's an upgrade over Plax. I'm suggesting some kind of swap.

Free Agency has gone poorly, huh...probably should've thought about that before giving Coughlin his 1-year extension. No player wants to play for a lame duck coach. It's pretty much win a playoff game or hit the road for Coughlin. Not a situation a player necessarily wants to be in.

I think it has more to do with the overhyped overpriced pool of mediocre players that were available. The Giants don't need another ego-stricken superstar.

I think it has more to do with the overhyped overpriced pool of mediocre players that were available. The Giants don't need another ego-stricken superstar.

While true, we do need players who want to play and suit up on Sundays and have enough talent to compete. We're not even close at this point.

No thanks on Moss, the same guy who went to the media and told the public that he felt that Kerry Collins was a better QB than Culpepper ain't right for this team. Not only that look at his off-field issues, bumping traffic cops amongst a littany of other stuff...... no thanks, I'll pass.