SportsWrath

Vintage Giants

Lughead

i found this on youtube there are 5 videos 4 about 10 minutes long

brings back the memories from a great 1986 New York Giants team . :clap:

figured this would help get us past this slow period

I do want to call everyones attention to Phil Simms what ch him then contemplate on how Eli has been playing.

oh and that Bobbie Johnson was a pretty good receiver.

George Martin has a career day against the Broncos.

Youtube Link

It's very simple.

The biggest difference between Sims and Eli? Simms had a great defense. I saw more interceptions from the Giants D in one game, then I've seen our "Current" D achieve all year.

This makes me want the Giants to go all D in the draft, even more. Our offense is good enough.

few things remember/notice from that team in he highlights vs the Skins.

1)Lt was Unfuckingblockable and made that defense so good, that Shroeder INT backed up in the end zone was all because he was afraid of LT

2)Simms undethrown INT in the red zone at the 5 made me chuckle, not because it was an INT, but I can only think what people would say if ELI does that in a big game now. Btw quick trivia does anyone know how many red zone ints EI threw in 06?

3)That defense makes me cry, becuase I only wish we had half of what they had.

4)Shockey, you are not, have never been and will never be Mark Bavaro

It's very simple.

The biggest difference between Sims and Eli? Simms had a great defense. I saw more interceptions from the Giants D in one game, then I've seen our "Current" D achieve all year.

This makes me want the Giants to go all D in the draft, even more. Our offense is good enough.

A great defense!. Yes, we know they were better, but please compare both offense and you'll see that overall 2006 has more talent, not to mention the fact that Eli was more highly touted than Simms. Simms was booed when he was drafted, Eli was cheered.

Simms was tougher, when the going got tough, he dug down. When the stakes were higher, he raised his game. Eli hasn't done that yet.

A great defense!. Yes, we know they were better, but please compare both offense and you'll see that overall 2006 has more talent, not to mention the fact that Eli was more highly touted than Simms. Simms was booed when he was drafted, Eli was cheered.

Simms was tougher, when the going got tough, he dug down. When the stakes were higher, he raised his game. Eli hasn't done that yet.

You know what your right...Eli doesn't have numerous come from behind wins ;)....Oh and why dont you compair the Coaching and play calling while your at it.....And by the way...Eli was Booed and is still being booed...Oh and simms is the Most over rated QB the Giants ever had...Go back and what those videos again...Eli is 10X the QB simms was at that point...and by the way that was Simms 6th year

You know what your right...Eli doesn't have numerous come from behind wins ;)....Oh and why dont you compair the Coaching and play calling while your at it.....And by the way...Eli was Booed and is still being booed...Oh and simms is the Most over rated QB the Giants ever had...Go back and what those videos again...Eli is 10X the QB simms was at that point...and by the way that was Simms 6th year

I don't know if I'd go THAT far. Eli has the benefit of having better offensive weapons, but as someone here said about the Chargers-Patriots playoff game, Coaching beats Talent every time. The Giants coaching staff of the 80s and the 90-91 Super Bowl Season was incredible. You can not say that about this staff. You can barely say that they're good. The other thing, and it's been said already, is that once Simms got a lead, our defense didn't let it go. The same can't be said about our current (meaning last season's) defense. That being said... I don't believe that this comparison can be made right now. Aside from the obvious differences between coaching ability, coaching styles were different as well. The Simms Giants played Smash Mouth football, in which he didn't have to throw the ball 40 times a game, but the Eli Giants (eventhough we had the greatest RB in NY Giants history) wanted to not only throw the ball all over the field, but they wanted to throw the ball down field a lot as well. That type of offense screws can fuck up a QBs performance with the only exception being the 1999-2000 Rams. Anyway... like I said before you can't make this comparison RIGHT NOW.

that was 1986, Phils Simms 8th season in the league,5 years from where ELI is now. In Simms' 3rd season in the league Simms "toughness" had led him to yet another injury in 1981, the team made and won a playoff game for the first time in 18 years led by a bum named Scott Brunner and their were whispers of the word "bust" all around, especially when Brunner won the playoff game and remained the starter in late 81.

By the way, in 1986 SImms threw the most Tds he ever threw in a season with 22, he also threw as many Ints. I am no ELI apologist and love Simms as an all time great, but I think that its funny when we compare the two and forget how tough things were for Simms until 1984(his 6th year in the league). If Simms took that long to develop nowadays with the cap he would have been gone by 1982, 83 at the latest. It was not until his 6th year he took off and became a viable NFL starter.

I think Simms also benefitted from some better coaching in the mid 80's from guys on the offensive staff like Earhardt