SportsWrath

New York Mets @ Atlanta Braves | Series Game Thread

Blue Jeans

Pitching Matchup

Friday
NYM: LHP Oliver Perez (3-13, 6.55 ERA in 2006)
Newly refined Perez starts the Mets' first game in Atlanta on Friday night following an exhibition season that suggests the term "project" soon will be obsolete in his case. It was Perez's five-hit shutout of the Braves at Shea on Sept. 6 that persuaded the club that the erratic, left-handed 25-year old could be "fixed." Of course, Perez allowed three home runs and six runs in 5 1/3 innings three weeks later in his first appearance at Turner Field. Because of his slider, he now is the pitcher most likely to throw the Mets' first no-hitter.

ATL: LHP Mark Redman (11-10, 5.71 ERA in 2006)
Since signing with the Braves on March 9, Redman has given indication that he'll prove to be an innings-eater capable of giving them a chance to win on a consistent basis. He won 14 games for the world champion Marlins in 2003 and 11 games for a Royals club that lost 100 games last year. After developing a cutter in early August, the veteran left-hander proceeded to provide four quality starts in his final eight outings.

Saturday
NYM: LHP Tom Glavine (1-0, 1.50 ERA in 2007)
Glavine gained his 291st career victory with a few assists from the Mets' defense on Opening Night. He allowed six hits, a walk and a run in six innings. He wasn't too impressed with himself. "I'm not totally thrilled with it. There's parts of it that I know I can do better going into the next one. But the good part was when I had to make pitches, I did. I was behind in the count a little bit more than I like to be, and I didn't think I was as good with my fastball as I wanted to be. My stuff was good. My location was OK." Now he faces the Braves, no longer a nemesis for him, and his buddy John Smoltz. They'll both enjoy it.

ATL: RHP John Smoltz (0-0, 4.50 ERA in 2007)
Smoltz looked dominant before allowing a pair of runs in the sixth inning of his Opening Day start against the Phillies. This will be the first time he?s faced the Mets since tossing eight scoreless innings against them on Sept. 26. In four starts against the Mets last year, Smoltz was 2-2 with a 2.33 ERA. He was 11-5 with a 2.92 ERA in 18 starts at Turner Field in 2006.

Sunday
NYM: RHP Orlando Hernandez (1-0, 1.29 ERA in 2007)
El Duque confused and defused the Cardinals batting order Tuesday night in his first start of the season. With an assortment of offspeed pitches, he limited the Cardinals to a home run by Scott Rolen and four other hits and never was in trouble. He demonstrated a degree of stamina -- 104 pitches -- he had approached once in Spring Training. He has allowed one earned run in 20 innings and has a 3-0 record in three career starts at Turner Field. He didn't allow a run in 13 innings in two starts -- both victories -- against the Braves last season.

ATL: RHP Kyle Davies (3-7, 8.38 ERA in 2006)
Because Lance Cormier is still battling right shoulder discomfort, Davies will fill the fifth starter's spot that he'd battled to win in Spring Training. Since altering his delivery three weeks ago, Davies has displayed a more fluid delivery that has allowed him to find more consistency with his control. After missing more than three months while rehabbing from right groin surgery last year, the 23-year-old right-hander suffered through six forgettable September starts. In the two starts he made against the Mets during that span, he totaled 8 1/3 innings and allowed 10 earned runs.

TV Schedule

Friday and Sunday's games will be aired on SNY, while Saturday's game is nationally televised on FOX. If you are out of market you can see Friday and Sunday's games on TBS.

bravessuck.jpg

LET'S GO METS!

Nice game. I think this Burgos (I know thats not how it's spelled) trade is gonna be big. He has looked very solid in mop up time. He's only 23 and I think RP is gonna help him out tremendously. I liked Bannister, but I think Omar pulled off another gem.

Talk about ass whopping!

man, i couldn't ask for a better start to the season! now, i'm sure we won't be pitching lights out every game obviously, but i think our staff is going to be a lot better than people think. it kind of reminds me of the bullpen last year. nobody thought it was going to be that good going into the season and look what happened. maine will be solid, and if either perez or pelfrey can surpise this season, i think all these experts are in for a rude awakening!

btw, john maine was a fuckin steal of the century! what a trade...kris benson for maine and el duque....can you say hijack!

man, i couldn't ask for a better start to the season! now, i'm sure we won't be pitching lights out every game obviously, but i think our staff is going to be a lot better than people think. it kind of reminds me of the bullpen last year. nobody thought it was going to be that good going into the season and look what happened. maine will be solid, and if either perez or pelfrey can surpise this season, i think all these experts are in for a rude awakening!

btw, john maine was a fuckin steal of the century! what a trade...kris benson for maine and el duque....can you say hijack!

I agree, I said it before that Maine deal with Julio turned into El Duque will go down with the likes of David Cone for Ed Hearn. As far as Omar goes, the man seems to not make bad trades. Duaner Sanchez for Jae Seo, Xavier Nady for Oliver perez(jury still out on that one) and now Burgos for Bannister. After years of deals like Jason Isringhausen for Billy Taylor and Melvin Mora forMike Bordick its a refreshing change to have a GM that makes smart baseball decisions.

BTW, are Mike and the Mad Dog just not the smartest sports minds out there? Last Friday, March 30th this was their conversation.

Dog(in his whiny sarcastic voice)"Mike the Mets have looked terrrrrrrrrrrible this spring, I know its ST, but come onnnnnnn this is awful. I am sorry Mike the Mets are not that good where they can expect to turn it on lke that. show some spunk like you care will ya.... would not be surprised Mikey if Willie gets off to a slow start this year".

Mike(in his condesending know it all tone)"Dog things like this happen to teams that finnally after years of down times have some success. Almost like a happiness hangover. I agree Dog the MEts just do not look good and you remember Art Howe's 2004 team that was sloppy in ST they started out terrible. I agree would not shock me if the MEts get off to a rough start, particularly with the teams they play early on, then Philly here in NY in two weeks. Things could get late early for Willie around here"

:LMAO::LMAO::LMAO::LMAO::LMAO:

Astute analysis guys, way to pay attention :clap:

Mike(in his condesending know it all tone)"Dog things like this happen to teams that finnally after years of down times have some success. Almost like a happiness hangover. I agree Dog the MEts just do not look good and you remember Art Howe's 2004 team that was sloppy in ST they started out terrible. I agree would not shock me if the MEts get off to a rough start, particularly with the teams they play early on, then Philly here in NY in two weeks. Things could get late early for Willie around here"

I wish he would just choke on a spare rib.