SportsWrath

Giants Make Trade Offer for Lance Briggs

Dragon

Got this from another board.

Giants Make Offer for Briggs?

By David Syvertsen | April 2nd, 2007

Print | E-mail

According to a Chicago Bears source, there are two additional teams that have let their interest be known for the rights to OLB Lance Briggs. The Buffalo Bills are in search for a MLB to replace the departed London Fletcher-Baker who happens to be with the Redskins and the Giants are interested in a WLB to play next to Pierce in the new attacking scheme that we are all expecting.

Early reports are that the Giants have offered their 1st round pick (#20 overall) for the rights to Briggs but the Bears have declined the offer because they are in search of better value. The reports all over ESPN are that the Redskins have offered a swap of #6 and #31 for the Bears to get rid of Briggs, which gives the Bears far better value in comparison to what the Giants have offered. However, the Bears seem reluctant to take that deal because they do not want to pay top dollar for a top 10 pick, and they would much rather take on smaller contracts of later picks. Now in order for the Bears to accept a deal from the Giants, Reese will likely have to cough up either a 4th round pick or a 2008 day one pick in addition to #20 overall.

Do I think this deal will happen? No. I think Reese would absolutely love to bring in the playmaking Briggs to help revamp this defense. He is a Pro Bowl player that has not reached his prime yet, and possesses many traits that this defense has needed for quite some time. Speed, coverage ability, and big play ability are the most vital that come to mind. However, Reese loves each and every one of his draft picks and he has a scout’s mind, meaning he thinks that he will find a good player in every round they have a selection in. To start giving up a multitude of those picks for one player that is going to cost a ton of money to extend is a little too risky for him I think, and rightfully so.

With the Redskins-Bears deal looking like it will fizzle out sooner rather than later, Giants may become the front runner for Briggs’ services unless the Bills make a better offer than their swap of firsts they made to the Bears. However, that does not mean in any fashion that the deal will go through because Bears GM Jerry Angelo is trying to push around every GM that has been involved in negotiations with the Bears, and Reese has proven time after time he will not tolerate that kind of action.

Other Notes:

According to the Giants website, they have signed Linebacker Jason Mitchell. Mitchell did not play last year in 2006 because of an injury he suffered during his final season at the University of Tennessee.

Don't really know what to think about this. What we're reportedly offering is a complete contradiction of what Reese said about our Day 1 picks. :mellow::confused:

I don't understand how the redskins deal is better. They are offering a swap of picks, giving the bears 1 early first round pick. The Giants are offering their first round pick straight up, giving the bears 2 first round picks, 1 middle and 1 late. I would take that deal in a second on both sides of the deal. The bears get 2 good picks and would be able to pick up quality players, and the Giants get a proven play making linebacker which is a team need. Win Win.

I don't understand how the redskins deal is better. They are offering a swap of picks, giving the bears 1 early first round pick. The Giants are offering their first round pick straight up, giving the bears 2 first round picks, 1 middle and 1 late. I would take that deal in a second on both sides of the deal. The bears get 2 good picks and would be able to pick up quality players, and the Giants get a proven play making linebacker which is a team need. Win Win.

I guess the reason the Skins deal is better would be based on the reasoning why the Giants offer could be better: cost. Bears are weary of getting #6 pick and having to pay that money. Why would they want to pay for 20 AND 31?

Unless Chicago thinks they can trade back down...if they could pull that off with this draft class.

I dont think the Giants really want Briggs...I think they are trying to drive up the price on the Skins....I dont think Reese really wants to pay him 5-6 Mil a year...Mainly because he is cheap :)

i disagree here...i think the giants would love briggs, but i don't see them making a deal in which they get robbed again *cough* eli....however chicago i think is in a no win situation. they can ask whatever they want for briggs, however given his willingness at this point to sit out the season, i don't think they're going to get what they want. obviously they are trying to drive the price up, but in the end i think they are gonna have to move him without getting what they want in return....that being said do i think we are gonna get him......no