SportsWrath

The Poz

Lughead

Paul Posluszny: 'I'd Love to be a Giant'

Posted Mar 28th 2007 7:24PM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, NFC East, NFL Draft, New York

paul-posluszny-239.jpgEarly today on Sirius radio with Bob Papa and Howard Cross, Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny said that he would "love to be a Giant." Poz went on to add that he had previously sat down with Ernie Accorsi and that he wishes he was still around to put in a good word. Additionally, it was noted that he had a meeting with Tom Coughlin earlier this offseason.

I realize a lot of people are down on Poz due to his lacking speed and combine "struggles." However, combine performances don't win football games. Poz is a proven winner and leader. He is everything the Giants need in a linebacker right now and frankly, I'd be thrilled if the Giants drafted him.

Poz is only the second Penn State linebacker to ever win both the Dick Butkus award and the Chuck Bednarik award. I would be willing to bet he makes it to a Pro Bowl in his first NFL season and only continues to improve as his career develops.

I want football players as my linebackers, not sprinters!

Then your a fool . The qiucker a Lb can get to a spot the quicker he can make a tackle or a sack or get a fumble recovery .

Then your a fool . The qiucker a Lb can get to a spot the quicker he can make a tackle or a sack or get a fumble recovery .

Wow!!! I guess I deserved that. :huh:

There have been a lot of guys drafted because of their speed that sucked at Linebacker.

not necessarily, with that speed a LB needs a killers instinct, a LB should want to inflict pain. Some, maybe most of the greatest players to ever play were not overly physically gifted compared to their peers.

not necessarily, with that speed a LB needs a killers instinct, a LB should want to inflict pain. Some, maybe most of the greatest players to ever play were not overly physically gifted compared to their peers.

kinda hard to inflict pain if by the time you get to the spot they guy was and he is gone now aint it?

Poz is not exactly slow. When I think of Giant type Linebakers(aside from LT who was just great at everthing) I think of heady players. Smart guys that know what they are doing and make plays. In the mold of Reasons, Pepper, Banks, Van Pelt, Kelly etc I think Poz would fit that bill. The Pats make it a habit to look for guys like this and the correlation to the people I mentioned and the background of Belichick and the players Pioli grew up rooting for show that. I think Poz would be terrific here and NY would love a guy like this. On my short list of players I covet he is #2 or #3.

Why do people keep saying he's slow? He ran a 4.50 at the combine...That's not bad for a LB.

Because he's white.

Ironically enough, I was keeping track of Poz since his junior year.. and I never do that with any player. When I heard he was coming back, I thought no way he would fall to our eventual slot. But the prospect of him falling makes me excited.

IMO I believe the Bills or the Steeleres will grab 'The Poz'. But it sho' wood bee nice IF the Giants got him!

Lets just hope that if he becomes a Giant he doesn't stink up the field like "The Boz".

Why do people keep saying he's slow? He ran a 4.50 at the combine...That's not bad for a LB.

Last I checked most of the LB's run in the 4.5 range, only an elite few run in the 4.4's.

I want football players as my linebackers, not sprinters!

Exactly, it might be apples to oranges but exactly how great did Tim Carter (a collegiate sprinter) do as a Giant? Not too great the last I checked....... how fast did Harry Carson run in the 40? Or if you'd like a white LB to compare him to, how fast does Zach Thomas run the 40 yard dash? What did they say about him coming out of Texas Tech? Too slow & too small to play in the NFL, how well has he done since?

I am sure you know this...but that comment you made there was really ignorant based on the context of the discussion. Poz might have slow measurables but measurables do not tell the whole story....the term workout-warrior come to mind? Just because someone is fast doesn't make them good...the quicker LB might not get to the tackle/sack/fumble recovery before the slower because the slower LB has better recognition skills that allows him to simply seem faster on the field.

IMO I believe the Bills or the Steeleres will grab 'The Poz'. But it sho' wood bee nice IF the Giants got him!

According to SI, Steelers might not be interested in Poz.

The Steelers deal in facts, and the facts tell them Florida State linebacker Lawrence Timmons is a strong candidate to be taken with their first-round pick (No. 15 overall).

-- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

I am sure you know this...but that comment you made there was really ignorant based on the context of the discussion. Poz might have slow measurables but measurables do not tell the whole story....the term workout-warrior come to mind? Just because someone is fast doesn't make them good...the quicker LB might not get to the tackle/sack/fumble recovery before the slower because the slower LB has better recognition skills that allows him to simply seem faster on the field.

Yes it was out of context I see that now sorry, :( Poz would be a great addition no doubt . I was talking more about in the lines of Carlos (cement shoes) Emmons who had recognition skills but just no mo go. He could not react on his recognitions fast enough.(his body just couldnt do it anymore) Poz appears to have(some) speed,work out warrior and game recognition in him .

When I read what Boohyah wrote all I could picture is that he would rather have an Emmons as opposed to a Poz. thats is reason for my reply. Maybe I read it wrong?