SportsWrath

Corey Webster

Lughead

JESUS CHRIST !! here we go again our first " PLAYER WHO WISHES TO BE NAMELESS QUOTE" for 2007 :TD:

Giants' Webster glad Lewis is out

BY ARTHUR STAPLE

arthur.staple@newsday.com

Email this story

Printer friendly format

March 28, 2007

The Giants are getting used to things being different. Old faces such as tackle Luke Petitgout are gone, and that's not a pleasant thought. But the absence of defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, fired after last season, brings hope to at least a couple of his former players.

"Hopefully, it'll be a fresh start for me," cornerback Corey Webster said yesterday. "It's a chance to really show what I can do ... Sometimes [the past two years], I got mixed signals. I didn't really know what the coaching staff was asking for. It's never a good thing when a player and the coach aren't on the same page. We're all here to win."

Webster, whom Lewis verbally shredded late last season, isn't alone. One player who asked not to be named said he hoped new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo would use the personnel more wisely than Lewis did.

"We were basically playing a 3-4 at times last season," the player said. "Our defensive ends weren't able to use their speed on the edge and just go forward. We need to change that."

Lewis, now the secondary coach for the Panthers, declined comment when reached yesterday.

Webster, the Giants' second-round pick in 2005, played mostly press, man-to-man coverage at LSU. The transition to the Giants' "cover-2" zone scheme was difficult for him. "It's not something that happens overnight," he said. "I've tried to do everything asked of me."

The rest of the offensive line must adjust to Petitgout's absence.

"Was I disappointed? Absolutely," guard Chris Snee said of Petitgout's release. "The O-line was a pretty tight group, and Luke was a leader. He was here eight years and gave a lot to this organization."

Notes & quotes: Former Chiefs LB Kawika Mitchell signed, and the Giants also re-signed OL Grey Ruegamer, both to one-year deals.

Corey Webster didn't play well last year, not because of schemes, but becuase he didn't play well. I put that down to inexperience more than anything and I'm willing to give him a chance this year to improve. But using the "last coach" excuse is based on the defense as a whole and not playing the right schemes (for example, a team that barely blitzed, or used the wrong blitz package. Blitzing a team on you're own 5 yard line!!!). There were a lot of guys on defense who underperfomed because they couldn't do the basics correctly, for example, Will Demps completely missing tackles behind the scrimmage.

God help Carolina, he's their secondary coach!!!. Is Fox on acid??? :o:o

Corey Webster didn't play well last year, not because of schemes, but becuase he didn't play well. I put that down to inexperience more than anything and I'm willing to give him a chance this year to improve. But using the "last coach" excuse is based on the defense as a whole and not playing the right schemes (for example, a team that barely blitzed, or used the wrong blitz package. Blitzing a team on you're own 5 yard line!!!). There were a lot of guys on defense who underperfomed because they couldn't do the basics correctly, for example, Will Demps completely missing tackles behind the scrimmage.

God help Carolina, he's their secondary coach!!!. Is Fox on acid??? :o:o

From what I hear they are pals...so I guess he would "cover" for his lapses. Guaranteed he will have coaches phones on his ears the first time his cover guys are deliberately placed out of position by one of his bone headed calls. As a position coach he will have to vet his calls with the defensive coordinator anyway. So it will be a long hard road back up the ladder for ClueLess. :clap::LMAO:

When the coaches are shitting themselves day in and day out every fucking day for multiple years fucking up defensive schemes, all the players STFU and say the coach is doing a great job etc etc. But the moment the coach is gone, suddenly everyone is a loud mouth and we get to realise how fucking stupid our coaches actually were. If this was the case and our Co-Ordinators didnt know their dicks from their assholes when it came to preparation, why the hell wasnt something done earlier, and why the hell is Coughlin still part of this team?

When the coaches are shitting themselves day in and day out every fucking day for multiple years fucking up defensive schemes, all the players STFU and say the coach is doing a great job etc etc. But the moment the coach is gone, suddenly everyone is a loud mouth and we get to realise how fucking stupid our coaches actually were. If this was the case and our Co-Ordinators didnt know their dicks from their assholes when it came to preparation, why the hell wasnt something done earlier, and why the hell is Coughlin still part of this team?

Ice, in Webster's case, it has little to do with Lewis, he didn't play well. Regardless of coverage scheme, he didn't play any scheme well.

But your right, it was pretty obvious this season that Tim Lewis's head was up his ass. That's why last year when all the bleating was going on about him leaving to be a head coach I said it was a bad idea and that the talent on the field covered up his shortcomings. He blitzed when he shouldn't have, he didn't blitz when he should have. He had the receivers play off the wide receivers but you only do that when you can get good pressure on the QB, something we didn't do "all year long".

Ice, in Webster's case, it has little to do with Lewis, he didn't play well. Regardless of coverage scheme, he didn't play any scheme well.

But your right, it was pretty obvious this season that Tim Lewis's head was up his ass. That's why last year when all the bleating was going on about him leaving to be a head coach I said it was a bad idea and that the talent on the field covered up his shortcomings. He blitzed when he shouldn't have, he didn't blitz when he should have. He had the receivers play off the wide receivers but you only do that when you can get good pressure on the QB, something we didn't do "all year long".

Tim Lewis was a fucking joke, but that doesn't change the fact theat corey webster is a piece of garbage. this guy is a classless, worthless, overrated fool, who doesn't deserve to be on this team. he is an embarassment to the big blue. throw your ex-coach under the bus, way to go corey. why don't you try bringing attention to yourself by making a play on the field instead of making headlines off it? that's right....it's the only way this guy can get his name in the paper. i really don't get why any of you support this loser. he is a joke, and i guarantee he will not be here after this season. he shouldn't be here this one, but what do the giants know about anything.

I agree. Even in some of my previous posts I have always said that regardless of schemes, Webster was taking big dumps on the field. Which is why I said he was fast approaching bust status. But having said that, in his LSU days, he has always been a press-coverage kind of guy. But this fucking zone shit that Lewis came up with didnt have a prayer of a chance in working anyway and maybe that highlighted some of the players weaknesses, something any coach with half a brain could exploit. The new DC is more of the Linebackers guy and might be able to utilise and create pressure up front but Im not sure how much he will be able to make our secondary effective.

I think you gotta give Webster another year to see if he improves. We gave Shaun Williams 4 years!. We had Omar here for 3 years and he had been released by the fucking awful Jets. And how long did we wait out the potential of the Wills??? I'm not going to say he will become a good corner, because the first signs are not that good, but he deserves some more time than we're giving him right now.

Oh yes, and in case your wondering, when Boohyah watches football, receivers cover receivers!

:doh::doh:

JESUS CHRIST !! here we go again our first " PLAYER WHO WISHES TO BE NAMELESS QUOTE" for 2007 :TD:

Who cares, lewis is finally gone and no one will remember this. Wait till the season starts and people are really talking shit. Than you'll have something to be mad about. :ph34r:

Who cares, lewis is finally gone and no one will remember this. Wait till the season starts and people are really talking shit. Than you'll have something to be mad about. :ph34r:

NO people will remember cause when anyone in the media wants a soap-opera story that no one else has they will go to a "NO-NAMED" source and start stirring the pot. the 2006 soap-opera will not go away if the media keeps it up with the Anonymous quotes. it will just turn into soap opera 2006 v2.0 for 2007.