SportsWrath

Duaner in Pedro's Boat

Blue Jeans

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Mets general manager Omar Minaya announced that right-hander Duaner Sanchez will have surgery to repair has a hairline fracture in the front of his right shoulder and will be out until at least August.

Sanchez

The fracture is of the coracoid bone, which is a small bone in the front of the shoulder to which two tendons and a ligament are attached.

"You're looking at four months, at least," Minaya said to a small group of reporters before the Mets game against the Dodgers.

Minaya said he thought it was a combination of Sanchez's surgically repaired right shoulder being not completely healed and a mound session from Thursday that caused Sanchez to stop throwing after just 11 pitches.

"I think it was a combination of him throwing that day and the past history," Minaya said.

Minaya said he did not know when Sanchez would have the surgery, which will involve securing the fracture with a screw in the shoulder.

After the surgery, Sanchez will be able to resume his rehab 6-8 weeks after.

The announcement comes a few days after the Mets sent Sanchez to New York for tests on his injured shoulder. He said he felt a pop, and the Mets sent him to New York for what was termed "precautionary tests."

Sanchez initially seperated the shoulder in a freak car accident in a taxi July 31. He had arthroscopic surgery that ended his season. Sanchez was one of the Mets' best relievers last year, going 5-1 with a 2.60 ERA as the team's primary setup man.

When told Sanchez is out til August, closer Billy Wagner turned to Aaron Heilman, who will likely assume role of primary setup man, and said: "guess that means Aaron you've got three innings and I've got one."

Heilman said the whole Mets bullpen will have to pull together, just like last year.

"It leaves a little more work for everybody to pick up on," Heilman said. "We'll do it like last year -- everybody will help out. I think everybody will manage and get through it.

"We're going to be all right. There's a lot of good talent in our bullpen. I think we'll be able to get the job done."

:TD:

this bullpen scares me a bit. I hate Wagner to begin with and now Heilman must be good in the 8th at least until Mota can come back for some support. If this Smith kid can be Bradford we might be ok. Schoenweiss is a huge upgrade, but Feliciano is going to have to get both lefties and righties out at times, at least early on. I don't knw something is bothering me about this pen. <_<

Goddamn cab driver. He may have ended this guys carrer. Hope he had arm insurance.

He should have never been out at 2 in the morning "looking for food"... :rolleyes:

And more importantly, he should have had his fucking seatbelt on!!!!