SportsWrath

I think we'll be alright

Virginia Giant

I admit I was ready to dump this season, agreeing with some that is was more or less a throw away for bigger and better things in 2008. I was frustrated seeing big names that we could have used being signed elsewhere, but the more I look at what Reese appears to be building, the more optimistic I become. It's true our D needs help, but who's to say we can't get an imediate starter at LB in the draft or maybe CB? Plus, with the new DC (I have mastered the spelling of his name yet), maybe his way will improve our D. So far we've signed another power back and it appears we'll get a run blocking FB, that gives us 4 starting capable HB's and FB's. The RB's should stay fresh where we can grind it out, take the pressure off Eli and keep the D off the field.

I feel the best free agent signing this year will be if our quarterback improves his play overall and becomes half the leader his brother is.

I feel the org is leaning towards Diehl at LT right now. We can still get backup help in free agency and in June, plus please draft a linebacker in the first round.

If you look in our division, there hasn't been much change in free agency. DC did nothing of note. Eagles might have gotten worse actually, and Dallas picked up a possible dud in Leonard Davis and also lost a coach and replaced him with a retread.

I feel the best free agent signing this year will be if our quarterback improves his play overall and becomes half the leader his brother is.

I feel the org is leaning towards Diehl at LT right now. We can still get backup help in free agency and in June, plus please draft a linebacker in the first round.

If you look in our division, there hasn't been much change in free agency. DC did nothing of note. Eagles might have gotten worse actually, and Dallas picked up a possible dud in Leonard Davis and also lost a coach and replaced him with a retread.

What are the chances Paul Posluszny will be there at 20? If he's gone, what other OLB's might be available?

I'm with you, VG. We're not overpaying for average players, and it looks like we finally have an identity on offense... POWER RUNNING (my all-time favorite)! With a grind-it-out running game, Eli won't have to throw 30+ times a game, and hopefully it'll make him look a little better than he's looked to this point.

We still have a lotta holes to fill... A run-stuffing DT, playmaking CB and LB, and a Left Tackle would be nice... but I like what we've done (and also what we DIDN'T do, which is break the bank) to this point.

GO GIANTS!

VG, I've liked Timmons from FSU, but a lot of people think he's fallen off. Poluzny would be a nice pickup but he could be gone off the board. There's not a truckload of linebackers projected for the first round but I think those 2 would be the most prominent.

What are the chances Paul Posluszny will be there at 20? If he's gone, what other OLB's might be available?

Not that this means anything but in Mel Kiper Jr's draft he has us take Puz at 20 before he had us with Timmons from FSU I think/ hope it comes down to Chris Houston CB Arkansas (fastest 40 time and most reps at 225) or Puz

it's ridiculous to pin hopes on getting bill cowher or similar in 2008. we do not have a good history of getting our first choice in coaches, or even our 2nd. there's no reason to think we can't win with coughlin. look at the ravens to see a coach with a foot and a half out the door come all the way back.

it's more about the defensive back 7 and the QB then it is about our coach. we didn't make a splash in free agency because the solutions to those issues were not there.

it's ridiculous to pin hopes on getting bill cowher or similar in 2008. we do not have a good history of getting our first choice in coaches, or even our 2nd. there's no reason to think we can't win with coughlin. look at the ravens to see a coach with a foot and a half out the door come all the way back.

it's more about the defensive back 7 and the QB then it is about our coach. we didn't make a splash in free agency because the solutions to those issues were not there.

Who said anything about Cohwer, or any available coach in particular? :confused: It's not brain surgery to figure out what's going on.

Who said anything about Cohwer, or any available coach in particular? :confused: It's not brain surgery to figure out what's going on.

clu me in, obviously, i'm not as informed as you. i don't hob nob with the experts of the British Bankers Institution.

clu me in, obviously, i'm not as informed as you. i don't hob nob with the experts of the British Bankers Institution.

Hob Nob? :LMAO: Seriously, if I said we were going to stink or toss away this season over there, I'd be outcasted like ol' Motesay. Now let me clue you in to my thinking. This is JR's first season, has a "lame duck" coach, a shitty OC, and not much cap. He's done a great job with the little he has, but ultimately he has to be thinking in advanced.

Hob Nob? :LMAO: Seriously, if I said we were going to stink or toss away this season over there, I'd be outcasted like ol' Motesay. Now let me clue you in to my thinking. This is JR's first season, has a "lame duck" coach, a shitty OC, and not much cap. He's done a great job with the little he has, but ultimately he has to be thinking in advanced.

doesn't every GM think win now? theres no more 5 year plans. what do you think he'd have done differently if he wanted to go for it this year?

doesn't every GM think win now? theres no more 5 year plans. what do you think he'd have done differently if he wanted to go for it this year?

He's going to put a good team out there, but I just believe his eyes are at the end of the rainbow. How good can the team be without a starting LT? How good can it be when a good chunk of defense is going to be draftees? I won't be surprised when Stray gets traded because that will point right to rebuilding.

..thus me being right, as always... :ph34r:

He's going to put a good team out there, but I just believe his eyes are at the end of the rainbow. How good can the team be without a starting LT? How good can it be when a good chunk of defense is going to be draftees? I won't be surprised when Stray gets traded because that will point right to rebuilding.

..thus me being right, as always... :ph34r:

ok, i thought you were premising all this on the Head Coach. I do think the 2008 team will probably be better than the 2007 team but not because of a master plan to wait.

There is no such thing as a throwaway season in todays parity driven NFL. As for the Giants, the Mara family worst possible case scenario wish is for meaningful games in December, so its not only something that is not done in todays NFL, its not done by this organization. That does not mean it does not work out that way, but its never a way of thinking.

As far as all these players we have "lost" out on? Which of this very overpriced, highly mediocre players were going to put us over the top in 07 or 08? IMO the only thing any of them would have done is take up future cap room. This years free agency class was one of the worst since 1993, when FA started, yet they got more money than most years. WHY? Because the new CBA and the enormous financial growth of the league has made almost every team under the cap. This has created more re-signings of teams stars and franchise tags being liberally placed as the money to pay them is there. What is the best way to combat this? Draft and scout well and I think that is what Reese and the organization is planning on doing. Going forward I think we will see teams go back to the old way(pre FA) when drafting well was the key to sustained success because now that there is more money there there is no reason why a great team cannot all stay together as many of the past dynastys of previous eras did. IF you really think about the direction the league is going towards in terms of finances it makes sense.

As for the 2007, I am sure that everyone will hate on the Giants and thats great. They did it in 05 and we won a division. No one will talk about how the last pass our QB threw in 06 was a game tying TD on the road to tie a playoff game with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter and with any semblence of a mediocre defense should have at least had 1 more chance to touch the balls(6 minute drives to eat the clock and kick a game winning FG are not the norm). No one will talk about the 4th quarter ties and leads that the defense blew late in the year to lose games vs the Titans, Boys and Eagles. 2 Defensive holds in 3 of those games gives the team 10 wins. No everyone will say the Giants stink, ELI this, Plaxco that, blah blah blah. Great go ahead.

The year I as a fan write off a football season is the year I pencil them into the Super Bowl in August. Nothing is given.

There is no such thing as a throwaway season in todays parity driven NFL. As for the Giants, the Mara family worst possible case scenario wish is for meaningful games in December, so its not only something that is not done in todays NFL, its not done by this organization. That does not mean it does not work out that way, but its never a way of thinking.

As far as all these players we have "lost" out on? Which of this very overpriced, highly mediocre players were going to put us over the top in 07 or 08? IMO the only thing any of them would have done is take up future cap room. This years free agency class was one of the worst since 1993, when FA started, yet they got more money than most years. WHY? Because the new CBA and the enormous financial growth of the league has made almost every team under the cap. This has created more re-signings of teams stars and franchise tags being liberally placed as the money to pay them is there. What is the best way to combat this? Draft and scout well and I think that is what Reese and the organization is planning on doing. Going forward I think we will see teams go back to the old way(pre FA) when drafting well was the key to sustained success because now that there is more money there there is no reason why a great team cannot all stay together as many of the past dynastys of previous eras did. IF you really think about the direction the league is going towards in terms of finances it makes sense.

As for the 2007, I am sure that everyone will hate on the Giants and thats great. They did it in 05 and we won a division. No one will talk about how the last pass our QB threw in 06 was a game tying TD on the road to tie a playoff game with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter and with any semblence of a mediocre defense should have at least had 1 more chance to touch the balls(6 minute drives to eat the clock and kick a game winning FG are not the norm). No one will talk about the 4th quarter ties and leads that the defense blew late in the year to lose games vs the Titans, Boys and Eagles. 2 Defensive holds in 3 of those games gives the team 10 wins. No everyone will say the Giants stink, ELI this, Plaxco that, blah blah blah. Great go ahead.

The year I as a fan write off a football season is the year I pencil them into the Super Bowl in August. Nothing is given.

...and the year I call them SB champs in March, with as many question marks, send me to a looney bin.

I'm not saying thats what this organization wants. I'm saying there isn't much to do this FA, overpriced players and not much cap is the reason. We're going to address that during the draft and draftees rarely come out pro-bowl caliber. We cut our starting LT. LT never are NFL ready when drafted, and Whimper cant be ready yet. The lame duck situation, throw that in there as well. The defensive holes... Factor all this in, THIS COMING season. How could JR not look what can done next off-season to make this team SB caliber?

ahh, I love the smell of self-rightousness in the morning..... .......smells like victory. :worshippy:

Forget 2008. We have free agents on the team for next that might just say fuck this, we're outta here. We might have free agents available to be picked up that might say, fuck the Giants we're not going there. Arizona has more cap room than nearly anyone, yet they could park a brinks truck outside all the top free agents homes, and they still wouldn't sign with them. Something similar could happen here.

Strahan could retire, so could Toomer. Burress could very well be a candidate for release next year. There are too many variables to say 2008 could be better than 2007, it very well could be a whole lot worse. This team needs to pull in some backup help, and draft strong, and we'll be in the running. If Eli plays anywhere near his potential, we're a good team. If you look at the NFC east, seriously how much better than us did the Skins/Boys/birds get. Fuck all better, and each of them have major concerns going into the season as we do. The division is up for grabs and it's the division we need first off.

As I said before, no team does 2-3 year rebuilding projects anymore, free agency took care of that. New Orleans sucked in 2005, forget the hurricane, they were a bad team. The Jets were supposed to be shit also. We gotta play for now, and if....if we can stay somewhat healthy, we're good enough to win now.

It's weird you're the only one who always seems to take me 100 % literal, and then write an essay on how I'm wrong.

we are slowly building filling in holes wich is great . Also I read that Ryan Grant has been working out like a mad man and is up to 230 pounds and ripped. He may be our change of speed back if he has gained speed and hand. hopefully our Rb situation is not s problem now and we can look to build the defense and maybe a WR and LT in the draft.