SportsWrath

Nem, I think you got your wish

so-cal dub

---Giants sign Leach?---

The Giants Have a Pulse; Sign Vonta Leach?

Posted Mar 19th 2007 7:55PM by Dan Benton

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, restricted free agent Vonta Leach has signed the Giants offer sheet worth $8 million over four years. The Texans will now have seven days to match the Giants offer or Leach will be heading to New York. Should the Texans fail to match the offer, the Giants will not owe any compensation because Leach entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent.

An average of $2 million per year seems a bit steep considering everything else the Giants passed up. At the same time, it gives a direction -- something fans were questioning lately. It's clear that the Giants and Jerry Reese have visions of smash-mouth football dancing in their heads. Not only that, I am just both Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns are salivating at the thought of running behind this guy.

If he ends up coming to New York, kudos to Jerry Resse. It'd be a solid move.

Heres more...

Leach Signs Offer Sheet

The Giants, still one of just a handful of teams who have yet to sign a free agent away from another team this offseason, may be about to get on the board.

Earlier today, they signed Houston fullback Vonta Leach to an offer sheet that may be enough to get the restricted free agent to New York. The Texans now have seven days to either match the offer – which is reportedly for four years and $8 million with $1.6 million guaranteed – or he becomes a Giant.

Since Leach was never drafted, the Giants would not owe the Texans any compensation.

The 6-foot, 250-pound Leach would presumably be a replacement for Jim Finn, who has been the Giants’ fullback for the last four seasons and is signed through 2009. It’s hard to imagine the Giants would bring both of them into camp. Certainly they both won’t be on the roster come opening day.

The 25-year-old Leach is five years younger than Finn and is considered to be a powerful lead blocker. He played 12 games last season, starting five, as he split time with Jameel Cook, and he clearly impressed the players he was blocking for last season.

“He’s knocking guys down,” Texans running back Wali Lundy said late last season. “Linebackers are scared to take him on.”

It’s not known whether the Texans intend to match the offer, though the cost certainly isn’t prohibitive. It’s not exactly the six-year, $18 million monster contract Ovie Mughelli – another fullback that interested the Giants – got from Atlanta a few weeks ago, though it is still a little pricey for a fullback.

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Though 2 Mil for a FB is a bit too pricy for my liking. I do like the idea we are finally going to have power running game. But I don't think we are going to let Finn go either. Its almost a must to have 2 FB in todays NFL. Especially when one of your FB is a pwer blocking FB. I thin Finn's job is safe for now.

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

I am not sure what future Finn has with the team. He was more of a finesse-blocker that worked very well with Tikis style of running. By trying to bring in a power blocker Reese is sending a clear signal that he wants an old-school Giants team that uses a dominating running game to control the clock. And Finn does not seem to be cut from the mold that kind of an offense requires.

I am not sure what future Finn has with the team. He was more of a finesse-blocker that worked very well with Tikis style of running. By trying to bring in a power blocker Reese is sending a clear signal that he wants an old-school Giants team that uses a dominating running game to control the clock. And Finn does not seem to be cut from the mold that kind of an offense requires.

Old-School Giants team.... we still have huge holes on Defense

Fullback Leach signs offer sheet with Giants

Print Email Blog This

Associated Press

Posted: 55 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) - Fullback Vonta Leach signed an offer sheet for a four-year contract with the New York Giants on Monday. The Houston Texans, Leach's current team, have seven days to match the deal, worth more than $7 million. If they don't match, Leach becomes a Giant."It's a good deal for a fullback," agent Ralph Vitolo said. "The Giants are obviously one of the best organizations in the NFL, they have an excellent quarterback (Eli Manning) and a great offense Vonta could probably excel in. They are a playoff or Super Bowl team."

With escalators, the contract could top out at $8.5 million for Leach, who was tendered by the Texans for just $850,000, meaning they won't get any compensation if they don't match the contract.

The 25-year-old Leach played two seasons with the Packers, appearing in 22 games, but had no rushes for the Packers. He was cut last September by Green Bay and joined the Saints, but soon was cut again and went to the Texans. He had six receptions and one touchdown catch for Houston.

A 6-0, 250-pound blocking back, Leach would team with tailbacks Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns for New York.

8.5 million seems like a lot of money to offer when he was only getting $850,000. Makes you wonder why we offered so much . Is this our big splash A no name (no offence to leach) fullback. He has been with 3 teams in about 3 years and I never heard of him before this.

His Agent Ralph Vitolo sounds like he has his lips firmly planted around the Giants ass.

That's a lot of money for a fullback, especially one coming from a team like the texans and like Lughead said, we've hardly heard of him, he attracted no interest in free agency. Plus, it's kinda funny how he's been talked about as a big full back at 250, yet Jacobs as the feature back has 15 pounds on him.

Hopefully Reese knows what he's doing here.

Iffy if the Texans match or not, but another good move.

Well lets see, we re-signed O'Hara and got a RB who is getting old to be a "Smashmouth" type runner. Another good move? Maybe the 2nd good move. Note: Im not counting re-signing O'Hara. I'll say it agian, its a no brainer. :doh:

Yeah, I like the direction we seem to be going. Reese will hopefully go all defense in the draft and maybe pickup a lineman after teams make cuts. Smashmouth running, controling the clock and a dominating D is what put 2 rings on the NY Giants fingers. Looks like Reese is trying to get the offensive side of this equation going this year.

That's a lot of money for a fullback, especially one coming from a team like the texans and like Lughead said, we've hardly heard of him, he attracted no interest in free agency. Plus, it's kinda funny how he's been talked about as a big full back at 250, yet Jacobs as the feature back has 15 pounds on him.

Hopefully Reese knows what he's doing here.

Yeah, but Jacobs is a freak, FB size with HB speed, they just don't make 300 lbs full backs. 250 lbs is pretty good size for a FB,.

See I knew someone would come back to me with that comment, hence why I specified the ground game, not the entire team. And like someone else said I hope they work on our D in the draft near-exclusivly.

Sounds like we could have got him for half what we offered.

We didn't get him yet. These are the Texans we're talking about. They just broke the bank for Ahman Green, so it's possible they'll give this guy a 5 year deal for 50 mil.

8.5 million seems like a lot of money to offer when he was only getting $850,000. Makes you wonder why we offered so much . Is this our big splash A no name (no offence to leach) fullback. He has been with 3 teams in about 3 years and I never heard of him before this.

His Agent Ralph Vitolo sounds like he has his lips firmly planted around the Giants ass.

It's a 4 year deal for 7.2 million. 8 with bonuses.

Salary-wise he'll be getting 1 mil a year raise.

Jacobs has 15 lbs. on everybody who isn't a lineman. :TU:

...or a backup QB.

btw, i checked on one of the other sites and money was teaching everyone the proper way to pronounce vonta. some things never change.

I like the sound of this signing, Three bruising RBs in the back field will lead to one hell of a smash mouth running attack. Lets not forget Shockey has shown some good run blocking in the past two seasons too. This offense still needs a WR with Tim Carter speed and 10 fingers on his hands and it would be very hard team to defend against.

I like the sound of this signing, Three bruising RBs in the back field will lead to one hell of a smash mouth running attack. Lets not forget Shockey has shown some good run blocking in the past two seasons too. This offense still needs a WR with Tim Carter speed and 10 fingers on his hands and it would be very hard team to defend against.

I know we need an OL, OLB, WR and defensive backs, but wouldn't it be awesome if we were able to pick up Brian Leonard at the end of the first round? What a backfield.