SportsWrath

Nolan wants pass interference rules revised

Treehugger

Nolan: Let the punishment fit the crimeESPN.com news services

San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan wants to see the NFL adopt a new pass interference rule that gives officials some leeway in handing out punishment.

Nolan's plan would let officials decide if a penalty should result in a 15-yard penalty or a harsher, spot of the foul penalty.

The current rules state that a defensive pass interference penalty rewards the offense with the ball at the spot of the foul or at the one yard line if the penalty happens in the end zone.

Nolan, a former defensive back, points out that with the subjectivity of pass interference calls, it pushes offensive coaches into calling plays that simply try to draw penalties.

"You'll see them drop back and throw it vertical," Nolan told the Sacramento Bee. "They'll overthrow the play; they just want the penalty."

Nolan appears to be passionate about the topic but so far doesn't expect the issue to get much traction.

According to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, the NFL's powerful competition committee discussed the pass interference proposal in Naples, Fla. The concept received a lukewarm reception from the committee, which means it probably doesn't have much chance of passing muster with the full league membership at the Phoenix meetings later this month.

"You can maim someone, and it's 15 yards," Nolan told the paper. "You can end someone's career, and it's 15 yards. Pass interference -- it's not a reflection of the severity of the crime. It's like getting the death penalty for going 75 mph in a 55 zone."

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli contributed to this report.

-----------------------------

Of course, if your team just paid $80 million for a CB I'd want these rules changed too. But he's right, the current state of interference calls is bullshit.

-----------------------------

Of course, if your team just paid $80 million for a CB I'd want these rules changed too. But he's right, the current state of interference calls is bullshit.

In a perfect world, I'd agree. But the refs don't even get the call right half of the time, now they need to determine the severity? Good luck with that.

In a perfect world, I'd agree. But the refs don't even get the call right half of the time, now they need to determine the severity? Good luck with that.

yea i would prefer it the other way around. it's always 15 unless you prevent an obvious TD. like the breakaway rule in hockey.