ELI ours thu 2012

Lughead

ELI gets 5-year extention

BY ARTHUR STAPLE AND BOB GLAUBER

Email this story

March 19, 2007

Giants fans have complained about the team's

unwillingness to spend in the free-agent market, but the Giants have invested

heavily in their own players this offseason.

They not only re-signed center Shaun O'Hara to a five-year, $19-million

deal hours before the free-agency signing period began March 2, but they also

spent big money to make sure Eli Manning remains their quarterback for many

years to come.

Forget about Manning's inconsistency in his first three seasons; he's here

to stay.

The Giants exercised a "buy-back" of Manning's contract earlier this month,

a move that keeps the fourth-year quarterback under contract through the 2012

season, Newsday has learned.

Had the Giants not made the move,

Manning would have become a free agent after the 2007 season.

The move wasn't cheap.

According to league sources familiar with Manning's contract, the Giants

gave him a $5-million buy-back bonus as well as a $3-million roster bonus.

His base salary for the 2007 season will be $6.45 million. It increases to

$8.45 million in 2008 and $8.95 million in 2009.

Manning signed a six-year, $54-million deal in July 2004, but the deal

would have voided after four seasons because Manning achieved playing-time

incentives in his first season.

Giants sources last night confirmed that the move was made and that the

team had planned it well in advance.

A team source said the money allocated to Manning has not been a factor in

the team's reluctance to spend big on free agents.

The source indicated that there were not enough quality players available

in free agency worth pursuing, and that the huge contracts earned by some

players was not in line with what the Giants believed their value to be.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese could not be reached for comment.

I for one (and most likely only one) think he still could be great...He played alot better at the end of the season then given credit for and had he been given a chance I think he could have had a comback against Phili. What Im looking at is even when he was playing Shitty they were still scoring (Saints aside) The O averaged 22 points a game and whent 8-8 ...If the D could have helped out down the streach the season would have gone alot different...By the way The D averaged 22 points agame aswell... I dont care who you are if your D cant stop anyone then your going to lose....I think with a New DC a more "powerful" run game and Gil calling the plays he should make a Giants leap forward this year...Hopefuly :)

I for one (and most likely only one) think he still could be great...He played alot better at the end of the season then given credit for and had he been given a chance I think he could have had a comback against Phili. What Im looking at is even when he was playing Shitty they were still scoring (Saints aside) The O averaged 22 points a game and whent 8-8 ...If the D could have helped out down the streach the season would have gone alot different...By the way The D averaged 22 points agame aswell... I dont care who you are if your D cant stop anyone then your going to lose....I think with a New DC a more "powerful" run game and Gil calling the plays he should make a Giants leap forward this year...Hopefuly :)

he will be fine he will be one of the top 5 qb in the league.

he will be fine he will be one of the top 5 qb in the league.

i think he will be a pro bowl QB, but i'm not sure he'll be a top 5 QB. let's just hope eli doesn't make the giants look like fools and justifies that contract. lemmiwinks, i like your optimism, but i really see the giants taking a step back this year. part of me wants them to fail(don't kill me just yet) b/c i want coughlin out of here. he is a GOOD coach, not a great one, but i can never envision him taking us to the super bowl. i want someone here who will be able to do that. that being said, i hope we come out of nowhere next season, and play our asses off. however, i just think we have to many holes, and i can't see us overcoming them. there is a lot of questions marks on this team right now. to me, eli isn't one of them. he is maturing fine, and i think he will "get it" in the very near future. but until our d is rebuilt, i can't see us doing anything that would make giant fans happy. seriously, i want to have a chance to make the super bowl, and i don't think there is enough talent on this team to do so. so if it takes a garbage season to get coughlin out, and bring someone in who will straighten this team out so be it.

I really think resigning Manning...THIS EARLY.... was a horrible idea. I'd say let him play at least half of the upcoming season and see if he wants to play. If he's as good as everyone hopes he could be....then cool.

...but, if not....cut our losses and MOVE ON.

I really think resigning Manning...THIS EARLY.... was a horrible idea. I'd say let him play at least half of the upcoming season and see if he wants to play. If he's as good as everyone hopes he could be....then cool.

...but, if not....cut our losses and MOVE ON.

The way I understood it was that it was a buy back option, if we don't resign him he's a free agent.

The way I understood it was that it was a buy back option, if we don't resign him he's a free agent.

after this year? ....sure, Let him explore free agency after this coming season and if he's good enough this year, offer a fat contract then.

otherwise, he's Dave frickin Brown all over again. The only difference is he has the Manning name.

"His base salary for the 2007 season will be $6.45 million. It increases to

$8.45 million in 2008 and $8.95 million in 2009. "

Would you pay that much for as inconsistent as he was? For the negative body language of our offense's field general?

after this year? ....sure, Let him explore free agency after this coming season and if he's good enough this year, offer a fat contract then.

otherwise, he's Dave frickin Brown all over again. The only difference is he has the Manning name.

Would you pay that much for as inconsistent as he was? For the negative body language of our offense's field general?

Dave Brown never threw 24 TDS...

I admit Eli hasn't lived up to expectations, but he's still the best QB we could have at this time. I mean sure we could let him go and sign Damon huard or Garcia, but cmon, Eli still has the ability. There's alot of negative influences on him. I think this year he'll start to come out of his shell with Tiki gone. Even though Tiki wasn't a leader, it was still his offense. Plus, the play calling hasn't helped him much, maybe when TC is gone we can get a coach and OC that can utilize our stregths.

Contrary to belief that our team is loaded with weapons, did Eli have anyone to throw to last year? Shockey was utilized mostly for blocking, Plax doesn't try every down, and that's your #1 WR. And we did maximize Barber coming out of the backfield.

We need another target for Eli. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of moving Shockey to a flanker type receiver and acquiring another TE within the next few years.

I also have high hopes for our own Anthony Mix. I like what I saw out of him in training camp and preseason.

granted, but Dave Brown didn't have weapons like Shockey, Barber and Plaxico

Take plax out of the equations and you have Dave Brown stats.

Shockey's and Plax's best seasons have come under Eli.

Actually,Shockey's rookie season was probably his best individually, but he's scoring alot more TDs than he was before Eli.

They go hand in hand, and imagine what their numbers would be if Plaxico actually tried to break up Eli's errant throws that get picked off like most receivers do.

Eli's biggest problem is the name on his back. People expect him to be Peyton. He's not, and once people move past this, maybe they'll give him a chance.

Contrary to belief that our team is loaded with weapons, did Eli have anyone to throw to last year? Shockey was utilized mostly for blocking, Plax doesn't try every down, and that's your #1 WR. And we did maximize Barber coming out of the backfield.

We need another target for Eli. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of moving Shockey to a flanker type receiver and acquiring another TE within the next few years.

I also have high hopes for our own Anthony Mix. I like what I saw out of him in training camp and preseason.

Eli openly admitted he was dependent on Toomer or otherwise he felt lost... for a so-called #1 pick QB ....That doesn't make me feel good about his overall skill. I really wanted to believe in him but I don't think he'll do anything this year as well. ....ESPECIALLY if his recievers have no confidence in him. (Most of Burress' problem w/ him)

...how many times did Eli have enough time to see the entire field, yet not look at Plax at all standing by him self in the endzone? Same for Shockey.....throwing their hands up in the air with frustration

He's just not as good as Peyton...

Eli openly admitted he was dependent on Toomer or otherwise he felt lost... for a so-called #1 pick QB ....That doesn't make me feel good about his overall skill. I really wanted to believe in him but I don't think he'll do anything this year as well. ....ESPECIALLY if his recievers have no confidence in him. (Most of Burress' problem w/ him)

...how many times did Eli have enough time to see the entire field, yet not look at Plax at all standing by him self in the endzone? Same for Shockey.....throwing their hands up in the air with frustration

As if any other QB out there not named Brady is...

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Forget that his brother is the best QB in this generation, and have faith that he'll get better with experience, and better teammates.

The Giants have been a circus, and there is one player in that locker room who has NEVER pointed a finger and ALWAYS holds himself accountable, and that's Eli. He showed a lot in the playoffs against the Eagles, coming back from a horrible start and actually tying the game at the end only to have the defense let him down...AGAIN.

He has not been consistently great by any stretch, but he hasn't been consistently horrible either. At times, he's been both though. I chalk it up as a young QB learning the ropes.

You gotta admit, it can't be easy playing QB in NY with the name "MANNING" on your jersey.

Yeah, how many QB's are as good as Peyton? If you want Peyton, root for the Colts.

As for Eli depending on Toomer, thats natural for any QB, don't forget Amani was once an elite WR, and what confidence does Eli have in his #1 target that gives up on plays?

Yeah, how many QB's are as good as Peyton? If you want Peyton, root for the Colts.

I guess it's easy to forget that he was hyped as being better than his brother when he was drafted when he's underacheived thus far. Not necessarily from the skills standpoint, but I recall accusations that he's just smarter than Peyton

...and yes he was hyped that much by EVERYONE. Why else would the Giants mortgage the future (Shaun Merriman)....to get him?

I'm sorry guys, I don't believe in the guy. Sure he's got the skills but his head is JUST not there. He's completely incosistent and is a proven momentum killer in the clutch.

I hope he's better this year....really I do, but hope isn't what drives the car away from on coming traffic.

I guess it's easy to forget that he was hyped as being better than his brother when he was drafted when he's underacheived thus far. Not necessarily from the skills standpoint, but I recall accusations that he's just smarter than Peyton

...and yes he was hyped that much by EVERYONE. Why else would the Giants mortgage the future (Shaun Merriman)....to get him?

I'm sorry guys, I don't believe in the guy. Sure he's got the skills but his head is JUST not there. He's completely incosistent and is a proven momentum killer in the clutch.

I hope he's better this year....really I do, but hope isn't what drives the car away from on coming traffic.

We wouldn't have gotten Merrimen had we not made the trade anyway, Kerry would have been the QB and our record would likely have been better than what it was.

Yes Eli was hyped, yes people said he was smarter and/or had better tools than Peyton, fact is Peyton is one of the greatest QB's to ever play. Those people were wrong, Eli is not Peyton, but he's still a very talented QB who will turn into a very good and consistant QB.

I go to between 4-6 home games a year, and let me tell you, the skills aren't there either. Long balls are underthrown or poorly thrown (you don't see that most of the time on TV), swings in the flats are at the feet... he's terrible. Can you remember the last time he hit a receiver in stride? Shit, Plax is 6'6" and he still has to jump two feet in the air to catch the guy's passes.

Maybe he'll develop in a few years, but to me, the kid just doesn't have it.

The Giants did not give up Merriman, because they never had him. There is no way to know where the Giants would have drafted that spring, if Merriman would have been availabe, or if the Giants even would have selected him. They gave up the pick, not the player.

If the Giants had not gone to Eli that season, perhaps Collins squeaks out another win or two and the Giants drop 2 or 3 spots in the draft... There is just no merit to the "Giants gave up Merriman" argument.

Not so fast...

NO EXTENSION FOR ELI

Contrary to a report from Arthur Staple and Bob Glauber of Newsday indicating that the Giants have extended quarterback Eli Manning's contract through 2012 via a recent "buy-back" bonus, Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that there has been no extension to Manning's original six-year contract.

Garafolo cites a Monday morning statement from the Giants, in which the team states: "It is the same contract that was reported as 6 yrs and $45-54M back in 2004. All of the buyback bonus and simple escalators that have been earned are included in those same numbers that were initially reported. Eli's contract goes through 2009. We exercised a buyback which was intended to be exercised all along and has been planned for accordingly. There is nothing 'new' about Eli's current contract status."

As Garafolo explains, the $5 million "buy-back" bonus restored the 2008 and 2009 contract years, which previously had been voided as a result of Manning's playing time and/or performance during the first three years of his career.

The report meshes with the NFLPA records we cited earlier on Monday, which suggest that Manning is signed through 2009.

I still think Eli will be a great QB. He has got the ability. I still think his main detterents were the retarded coaches he was given with fucking Gilbride fucking shit up and Huff making him chuck it in impossible situation in a majority of low percentage where the execution was even poorer. Agreed he did make some throws that would make me wanna turn him inside out, but overall, I think with a solid game plan and proper offense he will be great. He has shown that.

I still think Eli will be a great QB. He has got the ability. I still think his main detterents were the retarded coaches he was given with fucking Gilbride fucking shit up and Huff making him chuck it in impossible situation in a majority of low percentage where the execution was even poorer. Agreed he did make some throws that would make me wanna turn him inside out, but overall, I think with a solid game plan and proper offense he will be great. He has shown that.

^ What he said. :clap: