SportsWrath

We nearly lost another LB!

Treehugger

Updated: March 16, 2007, 12:35 PM ET

Giants' Short was in store next to fatal gunfight

ESPN.com news services

New York Giants linebacker Brandon Short escaped harm during a shooutout Wednesday night in New York's Greenwich Village, where police brought down a gunman who shot and killed a bartender and two auxiliary police officers.

"I was fearful for my life. There were bullets flying everywhere."

-- Brandon Short

Short told the New York Daily News he was in a Bleeker Street jewelry shop when gunfire errupted. He said the two officers who were killed, Nick Pekearo and Eugene Marshalik, ran past him just as he entered the store.

Short told the Daily News he ran to the back of the store and dropped to the floor when the shooting between police and gunman David Garvin began.

"I was fearful for my life," he told the newspaper. "There were bullets flying everywhere."

Outside, police engaged Garvin in a firece gun battle after he shot a bartender in a pizzeria and then shot and killed the two auxiliary officers. Garvin then holed up in a leather goods store -- next to the jewlery shop where Short had been shopping -- before coming out firing. Police reportedly fired 56 shots at Garvin, killing him.

"It was a crowded street in Manhattan. Some people were running through restaurants, running down alleys to get away," Short told the newspaper. "It's a miracle that no bullets actually went through the window."

Garvin, 42, had been carrying two semiautomatic firearms and a bag with a fake beard and 100 rounds of ammunition, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Yeah, if I were him I would have started to loot the jewlery store.

Kind of reminds me of the time I was in a Target Store up there in the College Point Mall and I am in the Computer Software and Video Game section along with the wife and my then 6 month old back in 2001. All of of a sudden oily black water starts pouring down onto the cashiers near the front of the store. The fire alarm was triggered and all of the fire doors were magnetically unlocked. Let me tell you if the wife and kid were not with me....I would have gone on an unofficial shopping spree. LOL. You have to keep your wits about you in a situation like that and your eyes on the prize. LOL.