SportsWrath

Olindo Mare

Lughead

Giants Eye Olindo Mare to Fill Kicking Void?

Posted Mar 12th 2007 7:36PM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, NFC East, New York

olindo-mare-237.jpgAfter Jay Feely split and left New York for Miami, the Giants found themselves without a kicker. They could use former Ohio State kicker Josh Huston, but apparently they will look to free agency. Eventually the Giants might turn their attention to the very man Jay Feely was signed to replace in Miami; Olindo Mare.

Quoting Mare's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger reported that the Giants are one of three teams interested in the kickers services. Mare is still under contract with the Dolphins but they are expected to release him in the near future if they can not find a team to talk trade with.

I am not entirely sure Mare is an upgrade over Feely but I'd feel more comfortable with him than Huston. If nothing else, Mare has some experience with the Giants Stadiums swirling winds.

Hmm how ironic would that be come the LONDON game?

Hell no! Not with wind at the Meadowlands. He couldn't handle it in Miami.

psssst he kicked for the giants in the Meadowlands before. Fassle I belive cut him in favor of matt Braynt

He cant kick in wind, thats why the Dolphins dont want him.

Considering the Dolphins dont play in the wind that often, Mare's ability to kick in the wind has nothing to do with them wanting to unload him.

It's more of the fact that he's washed up.

Give Josh Huston a chance.

if we sign him, this is another clue to why Coughlin is being setup to fail. Lets not upgrade but downgrade our players. Jay Touchy Feeley is a better kicker.

I bet a week ago, when we cut him, you thought otherwise....I know everyone else hated on an 80% field goal kicker who's money within 45.

I bet a week ago, when we cut him, you thought otherwise....I know everyone else hated on an 80% field goal kicker who's money within 45.

we didn't cut Feely, his contract ran out and we let him go to market.

Mare was cut by Reeves in 1995.

Mare was 26-36, but did attempt 6 Fg's, hitting 1 of more than 50 yards, compared to Feelys 1attempt over 50. Mare also had 24 touchbacks compared to 12 for Feely and Feely had quite a few more kickoff atempts.

we didn't cut Feely, his contract ran out and we let him go to market.

yah, i knew that, my mistake, mispoke...but still, I'd rather have Jay Feely than Olindo Mare or John Hall.

Are there many prospects in this year's draft? I know I say this every year (because our kickers suck every year) but they should really consider pulling in some ex-rugby or AFL guys for a try out.

I don't really know, but I would like to see some young blood at that spot...the old washed up guys like Mare and Feely can't kickoff past the 20.